Obama tops $40 million in March

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
The Obama campaign announced Thursday morning that more than 442,000 contributors gave his campaign more than $40 million in March.

That is less than the record $55 million Obama raised in February, but it's roughly twice what Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is estimated to have raised in March. She plans to release her totals later this month.

The campaign, which did not release an exact total, said more than 218,000 donors contributed to the campaign for the first time, and the average contribution was $96.

Campaign manager David Plouffe said: “Sen. Obama has always said that this campaign would rise or fall on the willingness of the American people to become partners in an effort to change our politics and start a new chapter in our history. ... Today we’re seeing the American people’s extraordinary desire to change Washington, as tens of thousands of new contributors joined the more than a million Americans who have already taken ownership of this campaign for change. Many of our contributors are volunteering for the campaign, making our campaign the largest grass-roots army in recent political history.”

The campaign's figures:

Total raised in March: More than $40 million

Contributors in March: More than 442,000

First-time contributors in March: More than 218,000

Average contribution: $96

Total contributors to date: More than 1,276,000

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9368.html

Not much of a surprise. It's looking more and more like Obama will be the Dem nominee, so people are switchig their donations from Hillary to him. I'm sure he's getting lots of new donors, too, as he looks more and more likely to be nominated.

He's probably starting to get a lot of people who also donate to McCain. Many people and companies donate to both sides in every election, so that regardless of who wins, they can come to him later and say, "I supported you when you needed me, now here's what support I expect in return." More subtlely than that, of course. A direct quid pro quo would be illegal, and they would never do anything illegal, would they? :eek2: :D

Such things have been true since be beginning of the "second oldest profession". It's one of the strongest arguments in favor of conservatism, whose philosophy is to have government do as little as possible outside the basics that private persons or groups cannot do.

"When politicians control the buying and selling of things, the first things bought and sold are politicians."

Not much of a surprise. It's looking more and more like Obama will be the Dem nominee, so people are switchig their donations from Hillary to him. I'm sure he's getting lots of new donors, too, as he looks more and more likely to be nominated.

He's probably starting to get a lot of people who also donate to McCain. Many people and companies donate to both sides in every election, so that regardless of who wins, they can come to him later and say, "I supported you when you needed me, now here's what support I expect in return." More subtlely than that, of course. A direct quid pro quo would be illegal, and they would never do anything illegal, would they? :eek2: :D

Such things have been true since be beginning of the "second oldest profession". It's one of the strongest arguments in favor of conservatism, whose philosophy is to have government do as little as possible outside the basics that private persons or groups cannot do.

"When politicians control the buying and selling of things, the first things bought and sold are politicians."

Fortuntely, your anaylsis falls flat on the truth.

Obama is not exploding all previous primary campaign donations by getting large donations from corporations and other entities that might expect "quid-pro-quo", he's doing it with small donations .. as demonstrated in the post .. who expect nothing more than a good president.

Back