Obama's Flip-Flops on Maijuana

Timshel

http://www.reason.com/news/show/124769.html

On Thursday, The Washington Times reported that in 2004, as a candidate for the U.S. Senate, Obama came out for decriminalizing marijuana use. That usually means eliminating jail sentences and arrest records for anyone caught with a small amount for personal use, treating it more like a traffic offense than a violent crime. But in a show of hands at a debate last fall, he indicated that he opposed the idea.

When confronted on the issue by the Times, however, the senator defended his original ground. His campaign said he has "always" supported decriminalization.

It's a brave position, and therefore exceedingly rare among practicing politicians. Which may be why it didn't last. Before the day was over, the Obama campaign issued a statement saying he thinks "we are sending far too many first-time non-violent drug users to prison for very long periods of time" but "does not believe that we should treat offenses involving marijuana with a simple fine or just by confiscating the drug." Recently, he had told a New Hampshire newspaper, "I'm not in favor of decriminalization."

He should have stuck to his guns. It is not that radical of an idea. Granted most simple possession cases are state cases and states aren't probably all going to join in, it would provide and example and slowly but surely Marijuan would take the same place in history as Alcohol where stupid prohibitionist are finally exposed and sanity breaks out.

I really think the American people are willing to consider decriminalisation as well-- it doesn't seem that controversial of an issue anymore, yet politicians still treat it as though it is.

Why..................?

A major strike against Obama in my book for this.

Because he tells CNN what they want to hear..rather than how he really feels...this is the 'commie mantra'..get a clue already...'Pot Head'! RP died a slow death as will Hillary and Obama...the frauds from day one!

Can you say, "I'm a wimp!"...

I'll bet Obama can. What a weak, weak, spineless move. He dropped a few notches for me.

Back