Off the pace

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
G

Guns Guns Guns

Potential Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump took a permanent detour from driving the Indianapolis 500 pace car.

The move avoids a political pothole for Trump and for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a Facebookcampaign to "bump Trump"from the pace car seat was gaining steam.

The page, started by an Indianapolis race fan and attorney, had reached more than 15,000 supporters.

The movement was in response to Trump's efforts to get President Obama's birth certificate released.

"Make no mistake, the "birther" movement is largely a racist movement (whether overtly or subtly, knowingly or unknowingly)," the Facebook page read.

In a press release, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway cited the mogul's possibly imminent announcement of a run for the nomination as the reason "he thought it would be inappropriate to drive the pace car."

Trump was not as specific in the release but plans to tune in May 29 to watch the cars race across the famed yard of bricks.

"I very much appreciate the honor, but time and business constraints make my appearance there, especially with the necessary practice sessions, impossible to fulfill," Trump said. "I look forward to watching the race from New York."

The speedway said the announcement of the new pace car driver – who will pilot a Chevrolet Camaro Convertible – will come later this month.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/05/trump-withdraws-from-pace-car-seat/</SPAN>

Back