Oh goody goody goody Nader takes steps towards another White House bid

Socrtease

Verified User
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Ralph Nader, the longtime consumer advocate who was blamed by many Democrats for Al Gore’s loss in the 2000 presidential election, launched an exploratory committee Wednesday for another White House bid, and told CNN he is likely to get in the race if he can put the resources in place.

"John Edwards, the banner of Democratic Party populism, is dropping out, and Dennis Kucinich dropped out earlier, so in terms of voters who are at least interested in having major areas of injustice, deprivations, and solutions discussed in a presidential campaign, they might be interested in my exploratory effort," Nader said.

Nader has launched an official exploratory committee Web site, and said he will formally make a decision in about a month. He said he is certain to get in the race if he can demonstrate the ability to raise $10 million and recruit enough lawyers to deal with ballot access issues. He has yet to formally file paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission, though he does not need to until he officially becomes a candidate, according to the FEC.

Nader said he finds Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama both unacceptable candidates, and he said whichever wins the party's presidential nomination will not have an impact on his decision to run.

"They are both enthralled to the corporate powers," Nader said of the two leading Democrats. "They've completely ignored the presidential pattern of illegality and accountability, they've ignored the out of control waste-fruad military expenditures, they hardly ever mention the diversion of hundreds of billions of dollars to corporate subsidies, handouts, and giveaways, and they don't talk about a living wage."

He expressed particular disappointment with Obama, whose senate record he called "mediocre, and quite cautious."

"It's not that he doesn't know what the score is, of course he does — look at his background, he knows plenty," Nader said. "But he's censoring himself."

Nader attracted close to 100,000 votes in Florida in 2000 — a state Al Gore ultimately lost to George Bush by approximately 500 votes. He brushes aside suggestions his candidacy this year may ultimately spoil the election for the Democratic Party.

"Political bigotry will be the label on anybody who uses the word 'spoiler,' he said. "Because ‘spoiler’ means minor candidates are second class citizens. Either we have an equal right to run for election, or we are spoilers for each other trying to get each other's votes.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Excellent. The more votes he can take away from Hillary or Obama, the better off the country will be.

Have you noticed, though, that the difference in nuttiness between Nader and the mainstream Dem nominee he opposes, is getting less with every election he runs in? :D

Well..............

Somehow I don't see the two of them doing that, but together they might get 5% of the total general election vote.

I was going to say Nader/Bloomberg...but to be fair and not hurt the NYC morons feelings I opted for the other Kumbia dude...thats all........:cof1: Hey once a warrior always a warrior...

Where's a third party person to demand why it is that liberals "owe" their votes Hillary/Obama?

What I feel I owe to the my country is to do what I can to keep a republican out of the WH.

I would like another viable option with a chance of winning, but unless Gore would run on the green ticket....

And notice that Nader only chose to look into running after Edwards got out. Nader is the ultimate class warfare warrior and he wasn't going to get in UNTIL the other class warfare warrior got out.

And notice that Nader only chose to look into running after Edwards got out. Nader is the ultimate class warfare warrior and he wasn't going to get in UNTIL the other class warfare warrior got out.

Yeah, he can't go splitting the class warfare vote too thin. They were already stretched between Huckabee, Edwards, and Clinton.

Back