Oh Joy! Our Former Governor Offers IL An Apology

Annie

Not So Junior Member
Sick, sick, sick. This is the Governor, Durbin wants Bush to commute his sentence. It's all one machine regardless of party. BTW, Jim Thompson is also a former governor, who didn't go to jail:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/ryan-to-give-public-apology.html

Ryan apologizes to people of Illinois
December 12, 2008 at 6:48 PM * Comments (50)
In a statement read by his attorney, convicted former Gov. George Ryan this afternoon said he felt guilty and offered a "truly heartfelt apology to the people of Illinois."

"I want to make things right in my heart with God, with my family and with those that I have hurt," said the statement, which was read by former Gov. Jim Thompson at a news conference held at Thompson's Chicago law offices.

The apology marks the first time Ryan, who is currently serving a 6 1/2 year sentence in federal prison, has publicly apologized for the actions that led to his 2006 conviction on corruption charges.

In the three-paragraph statement, Ryan, 74, specifically mentions Scott and Janet Willis, who lost six children in a fiery 1994 crash involving a truck whose driver obtained a license in exchange for a bribe to officials in Ryan's administration.

"I know that Reverend and Mrs. Willis have suffered...unimaginable pain and loss from the mistakes made in my administration, both by me and others on my watch," Ryan wrote. "My heart has and always will go out to the Willis family."

The statement does not specifically mention commutation of Ryan's sentence, but Thompson said it would be included with information sent to the U.S. Department of Justice arguing for Ryan's release. U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin more than a week ago called on President George W. Bush to commute Ryan's sentence.

"I think he is a much-changed man," Thompson said.

Back