Oh who cares?

Cancel7

Banned
They all volunteered, and as Dick "five deferements" cheney said "It's President bush who carries the heaviest burden here". hahahahhaha.

There's tons more to this interview, if anyone is interested the link is below. This guy volunteered right after 9/11 in the belief that he would go to Afganistan, but he was sent of course, to Iraq, where he was paralized from his nipples down.

TOMAS YOUNG: Well, it’s been an amazing honor to travel the country with this music that I’m putting out on this album and the movie that has been an amazing experience to make, and to reach out to soldiers that are speaking out against this war and to try to touch lives on an individual basis has been an incredible experience. But right off the bat, I have to address something that Dick Cheney said yesterday in response to the—

AMY GOODMAN: Maybe we have a clip. Maybe we have a clip of what Dick Cheney had to say. Let’s give it a try. I think this is from our headlines today. This is the Vice President, Dick Cheney.

VICE PRESIDENT DICK CHENEY: The President carries the biggest burden, obviously. He’s the one who has to make the decision to commit young Americans, but we are fortunate to have a group of men and women, an all-volunteer force, who voluntarily put on the uniform and go in harm’s way for the rest of us.

AMY GOODMAN: That was Dick Cheney. Tomas Young, was that the quote you would like to address?

TOMAS YOUNG: Absolutely. From one of those soldiers who volunteered to go to Afghanistan after September 11th, which was where the evidence said we needed to go, to the master of the college deferment in Vietnam, the last conflict we didn’t go into voluntarily, many of us volunteered with patriotic feelings in our heart, only to see them subverted and bastardized by the administration and sent into the wrong country. Yes, we volunteered, but we didn’t volunteer where you sent us to go. And I realize that we don’t choose where we get to go, but we at least should be sent in the right places to defend the Constitution, just as we volunteered to do. That’s all.

AMY GOODMAN: Tomas, I wanted to go to a part of the film, Body of War, which was the White House Correspondents Dinner of 2005. It’s very interesting, because you were watching it. It includes President Bush joking around about the missing WMDs, as well as First Lady Laura Bush. This is the clip.

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: Those weapons of mass destruction got to be somewhere. Nope, no weapons over there. Maybe under here.

LAURA BUSH: I said to him the other day, “George, if you really want to end tyranny in the world, you’re going to have to stay up later.” Ladies and gentlemen, I am a desperate housewife.

CATHY SMITH: They’re so insulated. They don’t want to know about people like Tomas and the four or five percent of the population that is actually sacrificing for this war.

AMY GOODMAN: That last voice is Tomas Young’s mother, Cathy Smith. Tomas Young is shown in the film watching the White House Correspondents Dinner and hugging his little brother. Tomas, your reaction to the skit?

TOMAS YOUNG: Well, my reaction is twofold. I’d like to tell Laura Bush that there are probably several—there are probably a couple thousand desperate housewives who are quite missing their husbands and would love to have their husbands there to go to bed early before 9:00. And for the President to be so glib about a lie that he told the American people and my brothers and sisters in arms to get us to go to war so blindly and patriotically for this country, it’s offensive to me as a soldier, first, and as an American, second. And now, that clip that I was watching was recorded from the year previous, so I had a full year for that wound to fester and boil, as far as my anger and resentment at the President making that joke and looking around the Oval Office as if the weapons of mass destruction were under his desk.

AMY GOODMAN: Tomas, I wanted to go to, well, near the end of the film, when you meet Democratic Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia. We’ve been playing his impassioned speeches on the floor of the Senate, which figure prominently in the film. In this clip, Senator Byrd proudly reads to you the names of all the twenty-three senators who voted against authorizing the invasion of Iraq.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: I’m going to read you the names of these—

TOMAS YOUNG: The immortal twenty-three?

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: The immortal twenty-three. Alright, here we are. H.J. Res. 114, that’s the resolution.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Senators voting in the negative.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Here are the twenty-three: Akaka.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Akaka, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Bingaman.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Bingaman, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Boxer.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mrs. Boxer, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Byrd. B-Y-R-D, right there.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Byrd, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Chafee, Republican.

TOMAS YOUNG: He’s a good man.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Chafee, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: He stood with us. Conrad.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Conrad, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: What’s that one?

TOMAS YOUNG: Looked like Jon Corzine.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Corzine, yeah.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Corzine, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: I don’t have my glasses on. What’s that one there?

TOMAS YOUNG: Dayton.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Dayton, yeah. God bless him. He’s leaving us after this year

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Dayton, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Who’s that?

TOMAS YOUNG: That’s Senator Durbin.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Durbin. This one?

TOMAS YOUNG: Senator Feingold.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Feingold.

TOMAS YOUNG: That would be Bob Graham from Florida, I think, Senator.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Yes, it would be.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Durbin, no. Mr. Feingold, no. Mr. Graham of Florida, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: And we go all the way down here to Daniel Inouye.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Inouye—

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: There’s a man who has really sacrificed. He gave his arm.

TOMAS YOUNG: From Hawaii, yeah.

SENATE ROLL CALL: No.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Yes, sir. He’s a real hero.

TOMAS YOUNG: Here’s another one of my heroes.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Jim Jeffords.

TOMAS YOUNG: Senator Jeffords, the one that switched sides of the aisle.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: He’s one of my heroes, too.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Jeffords, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Kennedy, Leahy and Levin.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Kennedy, Mr. Leahy, Mr. Levin, no, no, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Mikulski.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Ms. Mikulski, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Murray.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mrs. Murray—

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Patty Murray.

SENATE ROLL CALL: No.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Reed from Rhode Island, Sarbanes.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Reed of Rhode Island, no. Mr. Sarbanes, no.

TOMAS YOUNG: Stabenow.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Yeah, Debbie Stabenow.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Ms. Stabenow, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Wellstone, that’s the man who gave his life shortly thereafter.

TOMAS YOUNG: And then Wyden.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: And Wyden. He’s still here.

SENATE ROLL CALL: Mr. Wellstone, no. Mr. Wyden, no.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Twenty-three. Seventy-seven to twenty-three. The immortal twenty-three. Our founders would be so proud. Thank you for your service. Man, you’ve made a great sacrifice. You served your country well.

TOMAS YOUNG: As have you, sir.

SEN. ROBERT BYRD: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

AMY GOODMAN: Senator Robert Byrd meeting Tomas Young in his Senate office. Tomas, what was that moment like?

TOMAS YOUNG: Well, meeting Robert Byrd was—it was an amazing experience. After only talking to him for a couple minutes, I found myself wanting to ask him to be an adoptive grandfather to me. He is truly—I mean, when you look at the fact that the day he fell in front of his house, he went in and cast a vote on the Senate floor, then went back to his office and only went to the hospital when his aides told him he didn’t look so well. So it kind of makes you think twice about calling into work when you have an upset stomach.

AMY GOODMAN: Tomas, I haven’t even given you a chance yet to say hi to Phil Donahue, who’s here in our firehouse studio in New York, Tomas Young in Kansas City. Phil?

PHIL DONAHUE: Tomas.

TOMAS YOUNG: Yeah, I heard you were there. I was wondering if I was going to get a chance to say hi.

PHIL DONAHUE: Well, you’re doing real well without me, Tomas, as always. I mean, this is a hugely powerful antiwar voice here. People just—I’m telling you, he speaks, and nobody talks. I mean, you can hear a pin drop. It’s wonderful how he’s exploiting his own—he has the power for the wrong reason, to be sure. And we can walk. And all of us have to remember that. And he’s—but, you know, he wheels out on that stage, and people just fall silent and listen to every word. It’s wonderful to see.

AMY GOODMAN: In fact, you’re going to be showing this film in Washington next week. Tomas, will you be there?

TOMAS YOUNG: Absolutely. I have a screening on April 2nd with Robert Byrd and some other invited guests, and then I’ll be there for the opening on April 4th.

PHIL DONAHUE: That is true, and we also open in New York on April 9th, Landmark Theaters, our home for the next several weeks. We go to Boston from New York and then San Francisco. We’re going to do LA, Chicago. And we think we’ve got something here that will really move the American people. I mean, this is a story of a family. And Ellen did such a fabulous job on the film, and we can’t wait for you to see it

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/3/25/body_of_war_new_doc_tells

Very moving. What I wish the US Army would do, is submit a completely anonymous questionaire for soldiers, asking questions about the war, do they think it is worth it, was it worth the loss of 4,000 dead and 10's of thousands of wounded? How they are received by the people in Iraq, what they think about how the war was run and how it is being run now. Those sort of things. Because I have spoken to 5 troops from the 4/1 Cav at Bliss including one E-7 Sgt. First Class and I have yet to hear any of them deem the war in Iraq worth it. This guy here doesn't see it as worth it, I want to know what the whole army thinks about it. I want to know what Infantry soldiers and MI Soldiers and Supply think about it. I know the Army would never do it. But I think that if it was totally anonymous it would suprise lots of people.

Very moving. What I wish the US Army would do, is submit a completely anonymous questionaire for soldiers, asking questions about the war, do they think it is worth it, was it worth the loss of 4,000 dead and 10's of thousands of wounded? How they are received by the people in Iraq, what they think about how the war was run and how it is being run now. Those sort of things. Because I have spoken to 5 troops from the 4/1 Cav at Bliss including one E-7 Sgt. First Class and I have yet to hear any of them deem the war in Iraq worth it. This guy here doesn't see it as worth it, I want to know what the whole army thinks about it. I want to know what Infantry soldiers and MI Soldiers and Supply think about it. I know the Army would never do it. But I think that if it was totally anonymous it would suprise lots of people.

Well, it was only last year that Joseph Lieberman was in Iraq, and visiting a squadron and the leader asked for questions from the soldiers, and an overwhelming majority of them wanted to ask him "when the f are we getting out of here", but you didn't see that in the msm. It was posted a lot on the internet news sites though. So i think that you would see some really big surprises, but only some would be surprised. People who believe that supporting the troops means supporting the war would be surprised. I hope. There is this part of me that kind of thinks they woudln't be surprised, that they are fully aware that after 2 3 and 4 tours these guys want to come home to their families, they are so tired and so messed up...but that they pretend they don't know that because they need the troops to hide their real purpose behind. And their real purpose is to support the repubican party, to support george w bush, to support john mccain winning the white house, and they don't give a shit about the troops.

But that's just a feeling I get sometimes from them. I can't prove it.

Bush "carries the weight"...my arse. I don't think this weighs on him while he's tap dancing on the White House steps. I don't think he loses a moment of sleep about this war.

He & Cheney are despicable human beings. Both bailed on their chance to serve (Cheney's deferment story is epic), and see the troops as little more than means to an end. They really are the "Masters of War" that Dylan sang about. I wish the hell that they so fervently believed in really did exist, because there would be a special place for both of 'em there. Too bad it doesn't. They'll never have accountability for their actions, or have to deal with consequences of any kind.

That new movie "Stop-Loss" looks really good. It will probably tank, though, because Americans don't want to be reminded about this stupid war, and the human cost of it...

Yep put em on trial and sentence em to 30 years of KP duty In Iraq for starters.
30 years of cleaning post and grease traps would be the best thing for them.

Is this pertaining to that movie "Body Count"? That was an amazing movie; a real tear jerker.

Oh, and yeah: Fuck dick cheney. What an @sshole thing for him to say.

Bush "carries the weight"...my arse. I don't think this weighs on him while he's tap dancing on the White House steps. I don't think he loses a moment of sleep about this war.

He & Cheney are despicable human beings. Both bailed on their chance to serve (Cheney's deferment story is epic), and see the troops as little more than means to an end. They really are the "Masters of War" that Dylan sang about. I wish the hell that they so fervently believed in really did exist, because there would be a special place for both of 'em there. Too bad it doesn't. They'll never have accountability for their actions, or have to deal with consequences of any kind.

That new movie "Stop-Loss" looks really good. It will probably tank, though, because Americans don't want to be reminded about this stupid war, and the human cost of it...

Yeah I'm going to go see that.

I feel that if I had lost someone I loved in Iraq, and i saw these crazy lies being put out about bush's heaviest burden...I really feel I would take steps to ensure he never said it again. You know ,there are things people will sacrifice their own lives for. To me, it is a mystery how bush is still alive. The day he made his "joke" videotape of searching for the non-existent wmds under his desk and in his couch, and the washington whores, i mean, washington press corps "roared with laughter" it is a miracle they didn't drive some poor grieving soul over the edge.

Not many really care about the war because people care about what MSM tells them to care about. War coverage is now 15% of what it was a year ago....
Mainstream america is controlled by the boob tube.
A bunch of vidiots.

Not many really care about the war because people care about what MSM tells them to care about. War coverage is now 15% of what it was a year ago....
Mainstream america is controlled by the boob tube.
A bunch of vidiots.

This has been a strange, strange war. There has been no call for national sacrifice; no rallying of the populace behind the war effort. Just a small group of secretive, manipulative men using our military like fodder, and claiming to be the patriotic ones.

But, hey - what do I know? This war was "inevitable," according to the local village idiot....

This has been a strange, strange war. There has been no call for national sacrifice; no rallying of the populace behind the war effort. Just a small group of secretive, manipulative men using our military like fodder, and claiming to be the patriotic ones.

But, hey - what do I know? This war was "inevitable," according to the local village idiot....

Bush or Superfreak?

It is on my lists of why this war is the most unsuccessful campaign we have ever fought in.

First the "we" is missing. If the populace isn't contributing their link to whatever reason you convinced them to fight in it is small at best or totally reprehensible to them at worst.

Secondly the "strategery" is almost non-existent. The idea of a smaller and sleeker military notwithstanding, not sending in a ton of MPs with your invasion force of a nation you believe you will be occupying and then disbanding their military are two of the stupidest moves ever made since Nimrod.

It is on my lists of why this war is the most unsuccessful campaign we have ever fought in.

First the "we" is missing. If the populace isn't contributing their link to whatever reason you convinced them to fight in it is small at best or totally reprehensible to them at worst.

Secondly the "strategery" is almost non-existent. The idea of a smaller and sleeker military notwithstanding, not sending in a ton of MPs with your invasion force of a nation you believe you will be occupying and then disbanding their military are two of the stupidest moves ever made since Nimrod.

I've read quite a bit on the lead up to war, and some of the bigger blunders. The most striking thing, without doubt, is the complete lack of contingency planning. They were unwilling to consider anything beyond "greeted as liberators," and did not plan for any other scenarios. You wouldn't try to install a pool with such poor planning, much less run a war; if most people knew the extent of the negligence, there would be a revolution.

As far as blunders, if they had just kept the Iraqi army intact, the whole national conversation would be different today. The way that decision was arrived at was shocking; it was basically a "whim of the moment" thing, and didn't involve anyone at the upper level.

No, Cypress does not believe the war was inevitable.

I also do not believe THIS war was inevitable. The removal of Saddam by force I do believe was inevitable. But there is no rationlization for the amount of fuck ups Bush has had in THIS war. To continue to associate all of Bush's actions with my position is a Cypress like attempt at a strawman.

But please... do continue showing your ever decreasing level of debate... soon you will be the second village idiot keeping Cypress company.

I've read quite a bit on the lead up to war, and some of the bigger blunders. The most striking thing, without doubt, is the complete lack of contingency planning. They were unwilling to consider anything beyond "greeted as liberators," and did not plan for any other scenarios. You wouldn't try to install a pool with such poor planning, much less run a war; if most people knew the extent of the negligence, there would be a revolution.

As far as blunders, if they had just kept the Iraqi army intact, the whole national conversation would be different today. The way that decision was arrived at was shocking; it was basically a "whim of the moment" thing, and didn't involve anyone at the upper level.

That is the first intelligent thing you have stated in quite some time. Perhaps there is hope for you yet.

Back