Oklahoma: Where Dumb Redneck Ideas are born!

CanadianKid

Oklahoma may allow college students to carry guns

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- People with specialized firearms training, such as military personnel, would be allowed to carry concealed weapons on Oklahoma's college campuses, under a bill that passed the state's House Thursday.

The measure was approved 65-36, despite opponents who said it made no sense following shootings at schools across the country.

It now heads to the state Senate for a vote.

Introduced by Rep. Jason Murphey, R-Guthrie, the law would authorize active-duty military and National Guard and reserve personnel, honorably discharged veterans and others with firearms training certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education who hold a state concealed weapons license to carry guns on college and university campuses.

The legislation is more narrow than Murphey's original proposal, which would have allowed anyone at least 21 years old with concealed handgun carrying rights to carry weapons on campus. That version was similar to a Utah law.

"This has to be the craziest thing I have ever seen," said Rep. Ray McCarter, D-Marlow, one of several lawmakers who said the measure is opposed by college administrators.

Supporters argued that the measure would make college campuses safer by putting guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Rep. Colby Schwartz, R-Yukon, said someone with a concealed weapon might be the only person in a classroom who can protect himself and others from an attacking gunman.

"When seconds matter the police are just minutes away," said Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs.

House members also approved a measure that lowers the age to 18 from 21 of active-duty military, National Guard and reserve personnel as well as veterans who can be licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

Murphey said his bill was a "commonsense step" to expand Oklahoma's concealed weapons law to combat campus violence.

"The concealed carry law is about 12 years old. It's worked out very well," Murphey said. He said more than 60,000 Oklahomans are licensed to carry concealed weapons, and there has been no widespread gun violence in the state, which opponents had warned of.

Murphey's bill would require people authorized to carry a concealed handgun to provide written notice to the university or college president before bringing a gun on campus. It would not limit a university's ability to restrict concealed weapons from access-controlled areas where people are subject to security checks.

Just consider the avg age of college students and the hormone levels and such.
No I don't think it is a good idea.
but then it is nat as bad as it first sounds since you cannot get a concealed carry permit until you are over 21. Unless oklahoma is different.
But still most likely not a good thing. more fearmongering type of thing.
An afraid person with a gun is dangerous.

Im sure they have enough experience through their paintball days...

Reminds me of the time I got shot during our game of capture the flag, good thing the branch broke my fall....

CK

I ask you whats crazier..

1)guaranteed multiple deaths because only the gunman is armed

2)the mere possibility that mass bloodshed could be stopped before it reaches double digits because someone else has a gun?

Gun Death Rates per 100,000

Oklahoma: 13.1
California: 9.8
Illinois: 9.7
Minnesota: 6
New York: 5.1
New Jersey: 4.9
Connecticut: 4.3
Massachusetts: 3.1

"""the law would authorize active-duty military and National Guard and reserve personnel, honorably discharged veterans and others with firearms training certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education who hold a state concealed weapons license to carry guns on college and university campuses."""

I'm alright with that.

Let's include those over Oklahoma:

#1 District of Columbia: 31.2
#2 Alaska: 20
#3 Louisiana: 19.5
#4 Wyoming: 18.8
#5 Arizona: 18
#6 Mississippi: 17.3
#7 Nevada: 17.3
#8 New Mexico: 16.6
#9 Arkansas: 16.3
#10 Alabama: 16.2
#11 Tennessee: 15.4
#12 West Virginia: 14.7
#13 Montana: 14.5
#14 South Carolina: 13.8
#15 North Carolina: 13.6
#16 Georgia: 13.4

Yep, we are 17th and the list goes on from there. Listen, I am not entirely for this bill but when I was in college I carried a weapon and took the chance of getting caught...it was that important to me that I have an equal opportunity to defend myself. Now that I have a family it is even more important. Heaven forbid if something were to happen. note that I wouldn't mind laying low and waiting for it to pass but if directly threatened with lethal force I wish to be able to reply in kind.

Last edited:
Oh and uscitizen, 21 is the correct age for a concealed carry permit in OK. I have had one ever since they enacted the self defense act.

Yeah I have one too leaning.
I think I have only used it twice though.

Got a nice colt 45 auto a few weeks ago. Accurized and not worn out. Shoots sweet.
Never thought I would want to hold another one of those particular guns in my hands after Nam though. times change and we mostly get over things though.

Oh and uscitizen, 21 is the correct age for a concealed carry permit in OK. I have had one ever since they enacted the self defense act.

"House members also approved a measure that lowers the age to 18 from 21 of active-duty military, National Guard and reserve personnel as well as veterans who can be licensed to carry a concealed weapon."

Yeah I have one too leaning.
I think I have only used it twice though.

Got a nice colt 45 auto a few weeks ago. Accurized and not worn out. Shoots sweet.
Never thought I would want to hold another one of those particular guns in my hands after Nam though. times change and we mostly get over things though.

Kind of like my dad, uscitizen. He decided just a few years ago he wanted a particular rifle (I have no idea what it is or why he wanted it) like he carried over there.

"House members also approved a measure that lowers the age to 18 from 21 of active-duty military, National Guard and reserve personnel as well as veterans who can be licensed to carry a concealed weapon."

I am not quite sure what that means ? They are writing that into the concealed carry permit age requirements ?
Interesting that they can carry something they cannot buy if that is the case.

Yea, I saw that.....note that it is for "active-duty military, National Guard and reserve personnel as well as veterans." Like I said, I am not necessarily for this measure but I can see why some are.

I also wanted to add this to go with Cypress' list above:

Homocide rate per capita:

#1 Louisiana: 1.311 per 10,000 people
#2 Maryland: 0.916 per 10,000 people
#3 Mississippi: 0.904 per 10,000 people
#4 New Mexico: 0.788 per 10,000 people
#5 Nevada: 0.75 per 10,000 people
#6 Illinois: 0.744 per 10,000 people
#7 Tennessee: 0.704 per 10,000 people
#8 South Carolina: 0.7 per 10,000 people
#9 Michigan: 0.67 per 10,000 people
#10 Georgia: 0.668 per 10,000 people
#11 Alabama: 0.665 per 10,000 people
#12 California: 0.663 per 10,000 people
#13 Arizona: 0.652 per 10,000 people
#14 North Carolina: 0.631 per 10,000 people
#15 Indiana: 0.577 per 10,000 people
#16 Missouri: 0.571 per 10,000 people
#17 Texas: 0.57 per 10,000 people
#18 Virginia: 0.513 per 10,000 people
#19 Arkansas: 0.511 per 10,000 people
#20 Pennsylvania: 0.502 per 10,000 people
#21 Alaska: 0.497 per 10,000 people
#22 New York: 0.472 per 10,000 people
#23 Ohio: 0.459 per 10,000 people
#24 Oklahoma: 0.459 per 10,000 people

I will point out that some of the beloved more liberal states still have more action than Oklahoma. We ain't perfect but then who is?

Well, they are close by and I always said that if I had to move and live elsewhere my choice would be Colorado.

You guys have a great time. I am on my way home now for a week of Spring Break. The Crappie better watch out. ;)

Back