On President Putin's Interview with Tucker Carlson | Cynthia Chung

Scott

Verified User
I know that Guno started a thread based on an NPR article of Tucker Carlson's interview with Putin. It's here for those who'd like to see it:
Tucker Carlson, the fired Fox News star, makes bid for relevance with Putin interview | justplainpolitics.com

The title alone makes it clear that the author of the article doesn't exactly hold a high view of Tucker. I read the first dozen paragraphs of his article, and he does nothing to dissuade this impression. He also makes it clear in those initial paragraphs that he doesn't trust things Putin said in the interview as well. So if people would like to read an article from an author that dislikes and/or distrusts both Tucker and Putin, that's probably the article for you.

Cynthia Chung's article is much different. It's clear that she's not always a fan of Tucker's reasoning, but I think she also makes it clear that she thinks it's a good thing that Tucker decided to do the interview. And she praises Putin for refusing to simply give sound bite answers to questions which are quite complex. She also does a lot to further elaborate on the meaning of Putin's statements. Below is the first dozen paragraphs from Cynthia's article. Constructive comments are always welcome.

On President Putin's Interview with Tucker Carlson...

CYNTHIA CHUNG
FEB 10, 2024

Something somewhat historical happened just two days ago, though it is unclear how many Americans will understand its significance...

Tucker Carlson traveled to Moscow for a 2 hour, unedited, unfiltered, interview with President Putin.

This is already unprecedented.

It is unprecedented in that several million Americans will be actually listening to President Putin expressing his thoughts (not to mention several millions more of the western world).

Let us be honest with ourselves here, most Americans have not actually heard President Putin speak a full thought. Rather the internet is bombarded with diluted and villainized impressions - with no shortage of unflattering photos taken of him in mid-speech like this is to serve as some sort of replacement for actually listening to what he has to say.

The majority of Americans have a bit of a bad habit of desiring to make quick judgements and impressions of things without taking too much time to understand what it is they are looking at. The whole world looks at Americans this way, as a fast consumerist society that treats its politics not too differently from its fast food choices. If Americans do not like this characterization of themselves, then the best way to counteract this is to actually have the attention span to watch this interview and engage in a serious discussion about it. Since what President Putin thinks, whether Americans like it or not, clearly also affects the welfare of American lives at this point, let alone the economy of the United States.

Vladimir Putin has been the president of Russia for 19+ years. (From December 31, 1999-May 7, 2000. From May 7, 2000- May 7, 2008. And from May 7, 2012 until the present.) FYI he was Prime Minister of Russia for four years from 2008-2012. Thus, it is a little ridiculous that most Americans in fact know very little about how President Putin actually thinks, and what his intentions are for Russia and her relationship to the rest of the world, when he in fact frequently goes out of his way to make his thoughts as clear as possible with numerous speeches, that are translated and transcribed into English, such as the yearly Valdai Conferences, where he is known to spend hours answering questions from the Russian public and even questions from abroad.

In fact, it was quite something to hear a leader of a country speak about his interactions with several Presidents of America, which had crossed over five U.S. Presidents (Bill Clinton, George Bush Jr., Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Joe Biden) and covers a period of eight U.S. presidential terms. This should already give people in the room the feeling of being in the presence of someone who has a wealth of experience.

And it is no surprise that there is now a blitzkrieg of quickie news reports intended for those who have not yet watched this 2 hour discussion and in a swarm of panic are clearly meant as a desperate deterrence, warning Americans to “not even waste your time” on listening to the “barbarian” attempting to share his perspective with the “civilized” western world. “Nothing to see here folks, really!” Anything he says are just a bunch of lies…right?

The fact that President Putin started the interview asking Tucker “Are we having a talk show or a serious conversation?” was a clear setting of the tone so to speak. It was a clear intervention on the typical manner that American news reporting occurs, which are in 2-5 min sound bites. Part of the reason why this is counter-productive to real understanding is due to the simple fact that history cannot be explained in 2-5 min sound bites. Hundreds of books are written on these subjects but we can’t hear the president of Russia say a few paragraphs?

And the other reason why it is counter-productive is because it can be used to frequently change the subject which dissuades the audience from sitting and reflecting on a thought. In fact President Putin on several occasions, despite talking several minutes to answer a question, would often respond to Tucker, after his interruption with another question on a completely different subject, that he was not yet done answering the question.

This method of discussion is not President Putin being “tyrannical” or “not used to being questioned about his reasons for doing things,” it is in fact the manner in which a truly civilized person responsibly discusses subjects that will affect the lives of billions of people on this planet. Why would we think that such large questions deserve such small answers in the first place?

Full article:
On President Putin's Interview with Tucker Carlson... | Cynthia Chung

Last edited:
arz-38ksfu_t3-jpg.1500465

The title alone makes it clear that the author of the article doesn't exactly hold a high view of Tucker. I read the first dozen paragraphs of his article, and he does nothing to dissuade this impression. He also makes it clear in those initial paragraphs that he doesn't trust things Putin said in the interview as well. So if people would like to read an article from an author that dislikes and/or distrusts both Tucker and Putin, that's probably the article for you.

No one should hold Tucker in high regard unless you do so for him being a satirist, who is very successful at duping his audience and grifting off of them.

Tucker himself does not deny his show is one of deceit and lies that no one should take seriously or believe.

Tucker himself, speaks in private about how he hates Trump with a passion and the things Trump stands for and does, but then knows to make money he needs to convince his audience of the opposite.

Tuckers disdain for his own audience's intelligence is undeniable in that he realizes he can go to court and say 'no one should believe me' and then immediately go out to the audience and spread the lies anyway KNOWING they will fall for it regardless.

And everyone should distrust Putin.

I know that Guno started a thread based on NPR article of Tucker Carlson's interview with Putin. It's here for those who'd like to see it:
Tucker Carlson, the fired Fox News star, makes bid for relevance with Putin interview | justplainpolitics.com

No one should hold Tucker in high regard unless you do so for him being a satirist, who is very successful at duping his audience and grifting off of them.

I certainly don't always agree with Tucker Carlson or the people he's interviewed. I'm certainly no fan of Donald Trump, for instance. That being said, I strongly suspect that it took courage to go to Moscow and conduct his interview with Putin. I imagine he knew or at least suspected that there would be many who would deride him for it. I believe that Cynthia Chung wrote a very good article explaining how much information Putin imparted in his responses to Tucker's questions. Did you read her article?

Tucker himself does not deny his show is one of deceit and lies that no one should take seriously or believe.

Do you have any evidence that Tucker has tried to deceive people in his show?

Tucker himself, speaks in private about how he hates Trump with a passion and the things Trump stands for and does, but then knows to make money he needs to convince his audience of the opposite.

I have vaguely heard this type of thing before, but I've never seen anyone who believes this actually present any evidence for their assertion.

Tuckers disdain for his own audience's intelligence is undeniable in that he realizes he can go to court and say 'no one should believe me'

Are you suggesting he said "no one should believe me" in court?

Why? On the whole, I've found him to be much more honest than many American politicians. As a matter of fact, I have yet to find evidence that he's tried to deceive anyone. Now, I can certainly agree that a lack of evidence isn't necessarily evidence of its lack, but when compared to someone like Trump, someone who even many of his supporters seem to acknowledge lies on a regular basis, I much prefer listening to Putin. Truth be told, around the only times I liked listening to Trump was on comedy shows where pretty much anything he said was immediately followed by some joke about it.

Still, I have seen evidence that despite his bragadaccio, he was a lot less of a war hawk in comparison to Biden and/or those who direct Biden. He also wasn't spending billions on 2 foreign wars.

Last edited:
I certainly don't always agree with Tucker Carlson or the people he's interviewed. I'm certainly no fan of Donald Trump, for instance. That being said, I strongly suspect that it took courage to go to Moscow and conduct his interview with Putin. I imagine he knew or at least suspected that there would be many who would deride him for it. I believe that Cynthia Chung wrote a very good article explaining how much information Putin imparted in his responses to Tucker's questions. Did you read her article?

I did vaguely heard this type of thing before, but I've never seen anyone who believes this actually present any evidence for their assertion.

Why? On the whole, I've found him to be much more honest than many American politicians. As a matter of fact, I have yet to find evidence that he's tried to deceive anyone. Now, I can certainly agree that a lack of evidence isn't necessarily evidence of its lack, but when compared to someone like Trump, someone who even many of his supporters seem to acknowledge lies on a regular basis, I much prefer listening to Putin. Truth be told, around the only times I liked listening to Trump was on comedy shows where pretty much anything he said was immediately followed by some joke about it.

Still, I have seen evidence that despite his bragadaccio, he was a lot less of a war hawk in comparison to Biden and/or those who direct Biden. He also wasn't spending billions on 2 foreign wars.

Why do Putin's opponents either wind up in prison or dead ?

Guno צְבִי;5899022 said:
Why do Putin's opponents either wind up in prison or dead ?

I never said I'd want him to be my President or that I'd want to live in Russia. But his reasoning for starting a military operation in Ukraine is sound in my view. It's also worth noting that Russians in general agree with him on this. And it's not like he didn't try to resolve the war in Ukraine diplomatically for 8 years prior to finally deciding the only way to stop the war was to get Russia involved militarily.

Tuckers disdain for his own audience's intelligence is undeniable in that he realizes he can go to court and say 'no one should believe me' and then immediately go out to the audience and spread the lies anyway KNOWING they will fall for it regardless.

Did you watch the interview?

Tucker was a vehicle for an alternative view on geopolitics. He's an entertainer with a huge audience, but far from being a historian. If he did his homework, it would've been a much better interview.

The US is in big trouble, yet Putin didn't gloat, he merely asked for peace. There's good reason the world is looking to the east for solutions.

Succinct.

Wouldn't it be great if they dubbed Andy Rooney's voice over Carlson's?

The US is in big trouble, yet Putin didn't gloat, he merely asked for peace. There's good reason the world is looking to the east for solutions.
LMFAO.

LMFAO

LMFAO

"We want peace. We also want all of Ukraine or there will be no peace"

Putin made Tuckems the straight man in his comedy performance. Carlson was simply too stupid to realize it.

LMFAO.

LMFAO

LMFAO

"We want peace. We also want all of Ukraine or there will be no peace"

Putin made Tuckems the straight man in his comedy performance. Carlson was simply too stupid to realize it.
Did you watch the entire interview?

Did you watch the entire interview?
I watched none of it. I refuse to listen to Putin's propaganda. I caught the segment where he derides Tuckems because he was rejected by the CIA.

Putin is committing the same genocide that Israel is. I don't want to hear him utter the word 'peace', as it's all bullshit.

I watched none of it. I refuse to listen to Putin's propaganda. I caught the segment where he derides Tuckems because he was rejected by the CIA.

Putin is committing the same genocide that Israel is. I don't want to hear him utter the word 'peace', as it's all bullshit.
The problem with the US is there are way too many people who are voluntarily stupid. Our core economy is based on war. Our leaders profit from genocide. Our nukes can't pay off the $35 trillion debt. We have been reduced to irrelevancy. We got the government we deserve.

I did vaguely heard this type of thing before, but I've never seen anyone who believes this actually present any evidence for their assertion.

I am not going to educate you on Tucker you will need to use google for that. You obviously know nothing about him but you are full of opinions regardless.

It would take him zero bravery to interview Putin in Russia and the derision he gets from 'others' for doing so is the feature and not the bug. That is what Tucker markets to the Magat derps he hates in the same way Trump does. They are 'victims' of 'others' derision and unfairness and cannot understand why. Oh poor me.

And yet Tucker, when sued went to court and argued no one was stupid enough to take his show or him seriously or that what they were saying was fact or truth. They called it satire.

So no one cares what you find when you are wearing your ignorance as a badge. There are sorts of people on this planet i do not know anything about and therefore i can say I have not found them to be dishonest, but that is meaningless as i do not know them like you show you really know nothing about Tucker.

Israel is not committing genocide — but Hamas is

The crime of genocide, coined in 1944 by the Polish-Jewish jurist Raphael Lemkin to describe the systematic extermination of Jews by the Nazis, is one of the most serious accusations that can be leveled in international law. Today, it has a very specific definition under Article II of the Genocide Convention of 1948, meaning committing acts, including by killing, that are intended to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group.

It is important to underscore that the commission of genocide has nothing to do with the number of civilian casualties; the key element of the crime is the need to possess relevant “intent.” Whatever criticism one may have of Israeli policies or Israel Defense Forces (IDF) actions in Gaza, Israel is not seeking to destroy the Palestinian people, whether in whole, in part, or in any manner.

“Israel isn’t trying to wipe the Palestinian people off the map. Israel isn’t trying to wipe Gaza off the map. Israel is trying to defend itself against a genocidal terrorist threat. So, if we’re going to start using that word, fine. Let’s use it appropriately.”

This week, asked about South Africa’s claim against Israel, Kirby could was unequivocal, saying the U.S “find this submission meritless, counterproductive, and completely without any basis in fact whatsoever.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4388533-israel-is-not-committing-genocide-but-hamas-is/

Guno צְבִי;5899042 said:

The crime of genocide, coined in 1944 by the Polish-Jewish jurist Raphael Lemkin to describe the systematic extermination of Jews by the Nazis, is one of the most serious accusations that can be leveled in international law. Today, it has a very specific definition under Article II of the Genocide Convention of 1948, meaning committing acts, including by killing, that are intended to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group.

It is important to underscore that the commission of genocide has nothing to do with the number of civilian casualties; the key element of the crime is the need to possess relevant “intent.” Whatever criticism one may have of Israeli policies or Israel Defense Forces (IDF) actions in Gaza, Israel is not seeking to destroy the Palestinian people, whether in whole, in part, or in any manner.

“Israel isn’t trying to wipe the Palestinian people off the map. Israel isn’t trying to wipe Gaza off the map. Israel is trying to defend itself against a genocidal terrorist threat. So, if we’re going to start using that word, fine. Let’s use it appropriately.”

This week, asked about South Africa’s claim against Israel, Kirby could was unequivocal, saying the U.S “find this submission meritless, counterproductive, and completely without any basis in fact whatsoever.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4388533-israel-is-not-committing-genocide-but-hamas-is/
Hamas doesn't have to report to the ICJ for genocide, but Israel does.

Let's get real, shall we?

Putin's KGB training was to exploit useful idiots in other countries. He's done this with any and every US interviewer, because NONE of those interviews tells anything surprising. What, he's going say, "well, ya got me!" and confess to all the murders, unjust jailings and imperialistic BS under his quasi authoritarian rule? No. Never has, never will.

Carlson is still butt hurt over getting the heave-ho from Fox. He craves that public recognition, the need to be touted as a voice of knowledge and authority. The fact that his "voice" drips with the venom of racism, bigotry, fascism and misogyny is not a problem for him.

Nor is it for Putin, because he knows that giving the spotlight to Carlson will further sow the seed of discourse in America....which can translate to congressional/White House actions.

Now, if we're dumb enough to put Trump back in power, granting Carlson's little interview will not have been in vain.

I know that Guno started a thread based on NPR article of Tucker Carlson's interview with Putin. It's here for those who'd like to see it:

Cynthia Chung's article is much different. It's clear that she's not always a fan of Tucker's reasoning, but I think she also makes it clear that she thinks it's a good thing that Tucker decided to do the interview. And she praises Putin for refusing to simply give sound bite answers to questions which are quite complex. She also does a lot to further elaborate on the meaning of Putin's statements. Below is the first dozen paragraphs from Cynthia's article. Constructive comments are always welcome.

On President Putin's Interview with Tucker Carlson...

CYNTHIA CHUNG
FEB 10, 2024

Something somewhat historical happened just two days ago, though it is unclear how many Americans will understand its significance...

Tucker Carlson traveled to Moscow for a 2 hour, unedited, unfiltered, interview with President Putin.

This is already unprecedented.

It is unprecedented in that several million Americans will be actually listening to President Putin expressing his thoughts (not to mention several millions more of the western world).

Let us be honest with ourselves here, most Americans have not actually heard President Putin speak a full thought. Rather the internet is bombarded with diluted and villainized impressions - with no shortage of unflattering photos taken of him in mid-speech like this is to serve as some sort of replacement for actually listening to what he has to say.

The majority of Americans have a bit of a bad habit of desiring to make quick judgements and impressions of things without taking too much time to understand what it is they are looking at. The whole world looks at Americans this way, as a fast consumerist society that treats its politics not too differently from its fast food choices. If Americans do not like this characterization of themselves, then the best way to counteract this is to actually have the attention span to watch this interview and engage in a serious discussion about it. Since what President Putin thinks, whether Americans like it or not, clearly also affects the welfare of American lives at this point, let alone the economy of the United States.

Vladimir Putin has been the president of Russia for 19+ years. (From December 31, 1999-May 7, 2000. From May 7, 2000- May 7, 2008. And from May 7, 2012 until the present.) FYI he was Prime Minister of Russia for four years from 2008-2012. Thus, it is a little ridiculous that most Americans in fact know very little about how President Putin actually thinks, and what his intentions are for Russia and her relationship to the rest of the world, when he in fact frequently goes out of his way to make his thoughts as clear as possible with numerous speeches, that are translated and transcribed into English, such as the yearly Valdai Conferences, where he is known to spend hours answering questions from the Russian public and even questions from abroad.

In fact, it was quite something to hear a leader of a country speak about his interactions with several Presidents of America, which had crossed over five U.S. Presidents (Bill Clinton, George Bush Jr., Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Joe Biden) and covers a period of eight U.S. presidential terms. This should already give people in the room the feeling of being in the presence of someone who has a wealth of experience.

And it is no surprise that there is now a blitzkrieg of quickie news reports intended for those who have not yet watched this 2 hour discussion and in a swarm of panic are clearly meant as a desperate deterrence, warning Americans to “not even waste your time” on listening to the “barbarian” attempting to share his perspective with the “civilized” western world. “Nothing to see here folks, really!” Anything he says are just a bunch of lies…right?

The fact that President Putin started the interview asking Tucker “Are we having a talk show or a serious conversation?” was a clear setting of the tone so to speak. It was a clear intervention on the typical manner that American news reporting occurs, which are in 2-5 min sound bites. Part of the reason why this is counter-productive to real understanding is due to the simple fact that history cannot be explained in 2-5 min sound bites. Hundreds of books are written on these subjects but we can’t hear the president of Russia say a few paragraphs?

And the other reason why it is counter-productive is because it can be used to frequently change the subject which dissuades the audience from sitting and reflecting on a thought. In fact President Putin on several occasions, despite talking several minutes to answer a question, would often respond to Tucker, after his interruption with another question on a completely different subject, that he was not yet done answering the question.

This method of discussion is not President Putin being “tyrannical” or “not used to being questioned about his reasons for doing things,” it is in fact the manner in which a truly civilized person responsibly discusses subjects that will affect the lives of billions of people on this planet. Why would we think that such large questions deserve such small answers in the first place?

Full article:
On President Putin's Interview with Tucker Carlson... | Cynthia Chung

Putin was the decider not Tucker.

Tucker saying that Putin does not explain himself well is complete nonsense, and that Tucker clearly does not understand either Russia or China either is a big problem.

The problem with the US is there are way too many people who are voluntarily stupid. Our core economy is based on war. Our leaders profit from genocide. Our nukes can't pay off the $35 trillion debt. We have been reduced to irrelevancy. We got the government we deserve.
Are you out of your mind?

Or are you just buying what Putin is selling?

Guno צְבִי;5899042 said:

You are posting an opinion of the author.

Bibi is doing exactly what Bush did in Iraq, albeit at a multiple of 10. He refuses to accept a Palestinian state when he's finished murdering women and children. Now he has millions corralled in the south of Gaza, and is demanding that they leave.

To where?

I don't condone what Hamas did. I don't condone Israel's annexation of the West Bank. This issue is too complex to simply point fingers at one side.

Hamas must go.

Bibi must go.

Israel is committing genocide. There's really no way to dismiss that at this point.

The shame is that the hostages are all dead, and both sides play games with their memories. There is no way that Hamas was prepared to care for the elderly and very young that they kidnapped. Too much time has passed.

Back