OPEC Head Warns ‘Dangerous’ Underinvestment in Oil Could Push Up Prices to $100

ptif219

Verified User
Biden trying to destroy our domestic oil production will hurt this country. It will take decades to make the grid strong enough for all electric energy system

https://www.theepochtimes.com/artic...utm_source=partner&utm_campaign=BonginoReport

The head of OPEC warned that underinvestment in oil is a “dangerous” threat to energy security and dismissed the idea that renewables alone will be able to meet the future energy demand.

“The underinvestment in the oil industry is dangerous,” OPEC secretary-general Haitham Al Ghais said in an interview with CNN on Monday. “And I believe it is critical that the world gets this right, that by underinvesting, we are actually endangering energy security. The world will require at least $12 trillion of investments globally for the oil industry from now to the year 2045. There are serious possibilities that prices, the volatility will be increasing as demand grows.”
Mr. Ghais called underinvestment as one of the key factors that could push oil to $100 per barrel. Brent crude oil was trading at around $91 per barrel as of 04:40 p.m. EDT, up from around $71 in late June.

“We are talking about a global population, within the next six, seven years, by 2030, we’ll have over half a billion people moving into cities globally. There is no way on earth that we can meet this requirement for future energy demand by relying on renewables alone.”

He also criticized the International Energy Agency (IEA) for claiming that within the next six to seven years, “demand for oil could drop by as much as 25 or 30 percent.”

“Let me answer it this way by saying that 30 years ago, fossil fuels consumption was 80 percent globally. Thirty years on today, it’s still 80 or over 80 percent,” Mr. Ghais said.“So, to come and project that in five or six years, with all the challenges that are facing the introduction of electric vehicles, penetration of EVs globally, availability of critical minerals globally, and the geopolitical, the supply chain logistical issues, the sheer size and volume of electrification required globally to be able to move to an electric world—it’s a monumental challenge.

Underinvestment in oil is something that “keep me awake at night,” he said. “I say, if we worry about volatility today, I don’t know what it’s going to be like in the future.”

Saudi Aramco, the world’s largest oil company, also warned about the situation earlier this year. In an interview with CNBC in March, CEO Amin Nasser said that a “persistent underinvestment in oil upstream and even downstream is still there” in the sector.
Moreover, with maturing oil fields, “you need more investment,” he said, referencing the fact that costs of drilling keep rising as oilfields mature and become depleted.

The average decline rate of an oil field is around 6 percent, meaning that in an oil production system that is meant to output 100 million barrels yearly, “you need 6 million barrels just to offset decline.”

“So there is a need for investment. And policymakers and regulators and investors need to ensure that there is adequate available investment in the sector … Otherwise, it’s going to have an impact on supply over the mid-to-long term,” Mr. Nasser stated.
ESG Policies Puts Pressure on Oil and Gas

Mr. Nasser also blames the proliferation of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) policies for the underinvestment in the oil industry.
In remarks delivered during the Saudi Capital Markets Forum 2023 in February, Mr. Nasser said that ESG is “clearly a rising trend” in the capital markets. Though he feels ESG is a move in the “right direction,” Mr. Nasser expressed worries about these policies targeting the oil sector.

I'm wondering what happens when the radical leftist environmental front gets their way and there's no more oil to be had...

That means no more:

Plastics
Paint
Many medicines disappear
Fertilizer becomes grotesquely hard to get
Solvents
Lubricants
Insulation for wires
Electronic components

The list is nearly endless. No oil production means no modern society. We get to go back to the early 19th Century and live far more miserable lives.

The whole point of electric is to limit how far you can travel.

I doubt that. The people pushing EV's and the whole greentard agenda live in large urban areas and have no concept of any other lifestyles. For them everything is, at most, a few miles away. Food comes from a grocery store without a thought how it got there. Heating and cooling are something somebody else takes care of, not them. They order stuff online and it shows up at their door. How it got there is irrelevant to them.

They see EV's as a solution to a problem they barely understand and really have no issue with making people who don't live like they do suffer. They are clueless and myopic.

I doubt that. The people pushing EV's and the whole greentard agenda live in large urban areas and have no concept of any other lifestyles. For them everything is, at most, a few miles away. Food comes from a grocery store without a thought how it got there. Heating and cooling are something somebody else takes care of, not them. They order stuff online and it shows up at their door. How it got there is irrelevant to them.

They see EV's as a solution to a problem they barely understand and really have no issue with making people who don't live like they do suffer. They are clueless and myopic.

Then why do you doubt it?

Oil can invest whatever they want. Investment can go way up. Oh yeah, you want our tax money to go to them.

WOKE is Anti Human.....The misery is a feature not a bug.

Buckle Up, this is going to hurt like a MotherFucker.

It's not about limiting travel. That's a side effect of their stupidity. They think you, like they, already don't go anywhere far from home.

I disagree. Everything they're doing is about productivity/travel. You are the one who originally disagreed and then as support for your position you posted shit that bolstered my position not yours. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing?

“Epoch times,” too funny

And by the way, the US exports nearly forty percent of all the oil it produces, so I don’t think “underinvestment” is the problem if you are looking for energy independence

We are shutting down wells every month. Biden wants to destroy domestic oil production. That is millions of barrels of oil a day gone

Back