Pakistan

cawacko

This is an area I'm not all that familiar with which is why I ask the question. With Bhutto's murder do you think Musharef would allow the U.S. to go after the Taliban and Al-Queda in the Western Provinces 'safe havens' near the Afghan mountains where we believe many are hiding out?

This is an area I'm not all that familiar with which is why I ask the question. With Bhutto's murder do you think Musharef would allow the U.S. to go after the Taliban and Al-Queda in the Western Provinces 'safe havens' near the Afghan mountains where we believe many are hiding out?

No.

I'm assuming from the way you framed the question, that you think al qaeda is responsible. That's a big assumption, IMO.

I think its just as likely, if not moreso, that Pakistan's security forces were complicit in this. Musharraf has more to gain from Bhutto's death, than Bin Laden does.

It looks like a political hit to me, not a normal suicide bombing. The lady was shot in the neck with a gun at close range. That's not the MO of a normal sucicide bombing.

No.

I'm assuming from the way you framed the question, that you think al qaeda is responsible. That's a big assumption, IMO.

I think its just as likely, if not moreso, that Pakistan's security forces were complicit in this. Musharraf has more to gain from Bhutto's death, than Bin Laden does.

It looks like a political hit to me, not a normal suicide bombing. The lady was shot in the neck with a gun at close range. That's not the MO of a normal sucicide bombing.

and where did you get this info? By the way only a couple of months ago she did a interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN...She said AlQaeda has attempted hits on her in the past...and was expecting another one!

side note: The Interior Ministry spokesman said...'she stepped out of her bullet-proof vehicle to greet the crowd...several shots were fired...however she was killed by the bomb as no bullet wounds were found on her body'

Last edited:
Musharraff or radicals? Maybe it involved the complicity of both.

I have been waiting to read this headline. Bhutto was marked for death from the moment she stepped back onto Pakistani soil. Tragic but not at all unexpected, and her bravery against such danger is commendable.

No.

I'm not suggesting al-queda is responsible. I was thinking strictly from a U.S. perspective and the opportunity to go after al-queda and Taliban members who may be hiding there since 9/11.

Maybe I'm off on even that.

No surprise, they claim responsibility:

http://www.khabrein.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10343&Itemid=88
Al-Qaeda claims responsibility of Bhutto's assassination PDF Print E-mail
User Rating: / 2
PoorBest
ROMA, Dec 27 (KUNA) -- A spokesperson of Al-Qaeda has Thursday claimed responsibility for the killing of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto, Italian independent news agency Adnkronos International (AKI) said.

"We terminated the most precious American asset which vowed to defeat the mujahadeen," Al-Qaeda's commander and main spokesperson Mustafa Abu Al-Yazid told AKI in a phone call from an unknown location, speaking in faltering English, AKI said on their website.

Al-Yazid, who is the main Al-Qaeda commander in Afghanistan, said that the decision to kill Bhutto, who is the leader of the opposition Pakistan People's Party (PPP), was made by al-Qaeda number two Ayman Al-Dhawahiri in October this year, according to AKI.

Bhutto had just addressed a pre-election rally on Thursday in the garrison town of Rawalpindi when a suicide bomber blew himself up.

At least 15 other people were killed in the attack and several others were injured.

That can actually backfire, she somehow was popular regardless of the constant allegations of corruption in her administrations.

People may even be happy to see Musharraf actually do something to al-Qaeda now.

TWO bomb attempts on her life, in two months?

That means the pakistani security forces are either complicit, or intentionally negligent.

The majority of pakistani people are going to blame the Ruling Junta.

That means the pakistani security forces are either complicit, or intentionally negligent.

al-Qaeda already is crowing about how proud they are of it. I think it is more likely that they will require Musharraf to do something about them.

more than that.

I can almost guarantee you that there won't be a huge grass roots groundswell in pakistan to go attack al qaeda in the frontier regions.

I don't doubt that islamic radicals were probably involved. But, americans don't understand the dynamics of the country. The american perspective is good guys versus bad guys. And to us, al qaeda are the bad guys. Its more complicated than that in pakistan. Everyone in pakistan knows that the taliban and islamic extremists were fostered by the pakistani intelligence services. The Taliban are virtually a creation of the pakistani military. Americans don't know that. Pakistanis do. And sentiment will trump reality. Many if not most pakistanis will blame the military government for either lack of security, or for fostering the conditions that led to the assasination.

I can almost guarantee you that there won't be a huge grass roots groundswell in pakistan to go attack al qaeda in the frontier regions.

I don't doubt that islamic radicals were probably involved. But, americans don't understand the dynamics of the country. The american perspective is good guys versus bad guys. And to us, al qaeda are the bad guys. Its more complicated than that in pakistan. Everyone in pakistan knows that the taliban and islamic extremists were fostered by the pakistani intelligence services. The Taliban are virtually a creation of the pakistani military. Americans don't know that. Pakistanis do. And sentiment will trump reality. Many if not most pakistanis will blame the military government for either lack of security, or for fostering the conditions that led to the assasination.
Lack of security in not taking care of threats such as al-Qaeda.

Whether or not they blame them for not taking proper security precautions, they are not aliens, they do blame people who do the act for doing it as well.

According to the ABC report on the radio on the way home the guy shot her first then set off bombs killing himself and those around him.

That is what happened--- he fired several shots, then either a) panicked at the security closing in on him or b) thought he had missed. That's when he detonated....they also aren't sure if he was the only gunman yet, but it sort of looks like he acted alone.

Bullfuckingshit he acted alone.

There is no way in hell this was done without some level of complicity by the security forces. Bhutto had governmental security guarding her as well as private bodyguards.
If one is willing to die to get the job done there is no person in the world safe from an attacker.

What makes assassinations difficult is the urge to live afterwards without getting caught.

My point is that this that I am 99% certain that this guy was not sitting in his house and spontaneously thought "Hey, I'll blow myself up to kill former PM Bhutto!" without any outside encouragement. He would not have made it past multiple layers of security without some help.

My point is that this that I am 99% certain that this guy was not sitting in his house and spontaneously thought "Hey, I'll blow myself up to kill former PM Bhutto!" without any outside encouragement. He would not have made it past multiple layers of security without some help.
Nor would have Hinkley, etc.

He had some training in how to make the bomb, and somebody strapped it on for him and likely prayed with him just before he went and made himself a "martyr" as they call it.

The idea that nobody could be assassinated without the government's complicity is not proven by the success of the assassination.

Back