Panpsychism, that inanimate objects have consciousness, gains steam in science

BidenPresident

Verified User
That's not to say that scientists haven't tried to explain consciousness through science. The most obvious approach would be to find physical features that correspond to states of consciousness. For instance, if you could figure out which parts of the brain are associated with feeling happy, sad, inspired or bored, you could in theory follow that lead to ultimately learn about how the brain itself "produces" consciousness.

"It has not been successful," Skrbina pointed out. "This has been one of the major frustrations, I think, in the scientific community, is to actually find the physical correlate of the various states of consciousness.

https://www.salon.com/2021/07/23/pa...ciousness-gains-steam-in-science-communities/

panpsychism claims consciousness is inherent in even the tiniest pieces of matter — an idea that suggests the fundamental building blocks of reality have conscious experience.

Crucially, it implies consciousness could be found throughout the universe.

Continued
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...roperty-of-the-universe&p=4550887#post4550887

What struck me about it is how it vaguely implies a convergence of science and religion -- it seemingly roughly approximates the panentheism of Spinoza or the Hindu doctrine of Brahman.

What struck me about it is how it vaguely implies a convergence of science and religion -- it seemingly roughly approximates the panentheism of Spinoza or the Hindu doctrine of Brahman.

Yes, for religious fundamentalists. I don't think panpsychism needs to have anything to do with religion.

Yes, for religious fundamentalists. I don't think panpsychism needs to have anything to do with religion.

I do not think it necessarily has to have anything to do with religion.

I am just stating that at some level, is vaguely resembles a convergence between science and certain religious doctrine about the nature of reality.

I do not think it necessarily has to have anything to do with religion.

I am just stating that at some level, is vaguely resembles a convergence between science and certain religious doctrine about the nature of reality.

Panpsychism is not a scientific theory, it is philosophy.

Back