Panpsychism

Saint Guinefort

Verified User
Clear indications of panpsychist doctrines are evident in early Greek thought. One of the first Presocratic philosophers of ancient Greece, Thales (c. 624–545 BCE) deployed an analogical argument for the attribution of mind that tends towards panpsychism. The argument depends upon the idea that enminded beings are self-movers. Thales notes that magnets and, under certain circumstances, amber, can move themselves and concludes that they therefore possess minds. It is claimed that Thales went much beyond such particular attributions and endorsed a true panpsychism and pantheism. For example, as reported by Barnes (1982: 96–7), Diogenes claimed that Thales believed that “the universe is alive and full of spirits”, but this remark is derived from an earlier claim of Aristotle: “some say a soul is mingled in the whole universe—which is perhaps why Thales thought that everything is full of gods”. While Barnes disputes the pantheistic reading of Thales, he allows that Thales believed in the “ubiquity of animation”

Source: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panpsychism/#PanpHistWestPhil

let's see if you like having your threads ruined you fucking jerkoff

I take it you don't agree with the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy?

you are a very stupid asshole
You are a very stupid person.
You are intellectually a jerkoff moron.
fuck you shit head
go kill yourself you piece of shit
you're an asshole
you are retarded
You are a fucking stupid person.
Are you always drunk or just fucking stupid?!
you are a fucking idiot
pooh pooh caa caa
I never read your posts Earl because you're a fucking pussy.
Earl the Pussy
Wow, never realized how fucking dumb you people are.
you are lost in jerkdom
You are a boring idiot.
you are a bore
you're a waste
go kill yourself you worthless troll
you're a fucking idiot
Shut the fuck up you useless troll.
you are a stupid person
You are seriously too stupid to waste time with.
fuck you scumbag
you are very stupid
you are a moron

keep reposting you fucking asshole

Please stick to the topic of the thread. I might need to ban you :)

you are a very stupid asshole
You are a very stupid person.
You are intellectually a jerkoff moron.
fuck you shit head
go kill yourself you piece of shit
you're an asshole
you are retarded
You are a fucking stupid person.
Are you always drunk or just fucking stupid?!
you are a fucking idiot
pooh pooh caa caa
I never read your posts Earl because you're a fucking pussy.
Earl the Pussy
Wow, never realized how fucking dumb you people are.
you are lost in jerkdom
You are a boring idiot.
you are a bore
you're a waste
you're a fucking idiot
Shut the fuck up you useless troll.
you are a stupid person
You are seriously too stupid to waste time with.
fuck you scumbag
you are very stupid
you are a moron

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have been on the internet for many years and not once have I come across that view. It is absurd in the extreme. Even Aristotle didn't think that. In my MANY readings of the Bhagavad Gita I found that 6398 is far more appropriate. Not to mention that Lao Tsu always said "Chew your food 32 times!"

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have been on the internet for many years and not once have I come across that view. It is absurd in the extreme. Even Aristotle didn't think that. In my MANY readings of the Bhagavad Gita I found that 6398 is far more appropriate. Not to mention that Lao Tsu always said "Chew your food 32 times!"
dbnbfb

Clear indications of panpsychist doctrines are evident in early Greek thought. One of the first Presocratic philosophers of ancient Greece, Thales (c. 624–545 BCE) deployed an analogical argument for the attribution of mind that tends towards panpsychism. The argument depends upon the idea that enminded beings are self-movers. Thales notes that magnets and, under certain circumstances, amber, can move themselves and concludes that they therefore possess minds. It is claimed that Thales went much beyond such particular attributions and endorsed a true panpsychism and pantheism. For example, as reported by Barnes (1982: 96–7), Diogenes claimed that Thales believed that “the universe is alive and full of spirits”, but this remark is derived from an earlier claim of Aristotle: “some say a soul is mingled in the whole universe—which is perhaps why Thales thought that everything is full of gods”. While Barnes disputes the pantheistic reading of Thales, he allows that Thales believed in the “ubiquity of animation”

Source: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panpsychism/#PanpHistWestPhil

ddrh

I used to think that my golf ball had an element of individual consciousness when I hit it properly and it still went
somewhere that it wasn't intended to go.

Afterwards, a couple of drinks in the clubhouse returned me to the reality that panpsychism is probably not a thing.

I used to think that my golf ball had an element of individual consciousness when I hit it properly and it still went
somewhere that it wasn't intended to go.

Afterwards, a couple of drinks in the clubhouse returned me to the reality that panpsychism is probably not a thing.

Well, in my MANY readings of the Tao Te Ching I found that golfballs were often specifically avoided as a topic of conversation. In fact in my MASSIVE library (I will post some more pictures later on) I have found a dearth of information about the mental state of a golf ball. But I bet it relates to QUANTUM MECHANICS.

Back