Parents send eldest son to orphanage

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/06/24/indonesia.boy/index.html#cnnSTCText

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Ahri's chin quivers and his large dark eyes fill with tears the 11-year-old can't control.

Holding Eka Jaya, Nuraini leads son Ahri, 11, to the orphanage with dad Joni Lubis and brother Mohammed.

1 of 2 "Be tough, I am sorry you have to go," his grandmother whispers while hugging him.

His parents are taking Ahri to live in an orphanage. They swear they are not abandoning their son.

"I am not throwing my child away," says his mother, Nuraini, wiping away tears.

"I just want him to get a proper education. I hope that one day he'll do something useful for this country and help his brothers because we are living in poverty."

That's just unacceptable.

Damo - something funky was going on with the tags. Tags were automatically created by the title and it kept saying that there were too many tags even though I deleted them

Damo - something funky was going on with the tags. Tags were automatically created by the title and it kept saying that there were too many tags even though I deleted them

Like a gurrrl even knows what a tag is.... well maybe the ones on the clothes she buys.

:hide:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/06/24/indonesia.boy/index.html#cnnSTCText

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Ahri's chin quivers and his large dark eyes fill with tears the 11-year-old can't control.

Holding Eka Jaya, Nuraini leads son Ahri, 11, to the orphanage with dad Joni Lubis and brother Mohammed.

1 of 2 "Be tough, I am sorry you have to go," his grandmother whispers while hugging him.

His parents are taking Ahri to live in an orphanage. They swear they are not abandoning their son.

"I am not throwing my child away," says his mother, Nuraini, wiping away tears.

"I just want him to get a proper education. I hope that one day he'll do something useful for this country and help his brothers because we are living in poverty."

That's just unacceptable.

No, it is not unacceptable. It has to be the toughest, and saddest, decision his parents will ever make. I don't believe they took this lightly. I'd never want to have to make a similar decision about my children.

No, it is not unacceptable. It has to be the toughest, and saddest, decision his parents will ever make. I don't believe they took this lightly. I'd never want to have to make a similar decision about my children.

When something like this happens to hardworking parents, yes it is unacceptable.

Death is acceptable because there is no alternative ?

Those parents made a decision, a hard decision which is hopefully for the good of the child.
Now if they had just made the decision not to have the children....
Often others suffer from the results of the choices we make.

They shouldn't have been forced into the decision, but they had no other choice. It is unacceptable that society gave them no other choice.

Hey did they have to have the children in the first place ? This is as much a result of their choices as anything. Heck they probably don't even have a GED.

Whatever happened to the traditional Indonesian sweat-shop?

In my day, by the age of 11, any child worth his salt would be stitching footballs for some multi-national sporting goods corporation for a dollar a month, and be grateful for it. But kids today just don't possess that "can do" attitude that we used to have. They don't want to work.

I fear that the "Indonesian Dream" is a thing of the past.

Back