Pennsylvania replacing lost Jobs by rebuilding Infrastructure

klaatu

Fusionist
PA Governor Rendell Says Mounting Job Losses Mean Tougher Times Ahead

Last update: 5:51 p.m. EST Nov. 20, 2008
HARRISBURG, Pa., Nov 20, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Infrastructure Investments Necessary Even as Belts are Tightened
Reacting to today's announcement that Pennsylvania lost 7,300 more jobs in October, Governor Edward G. Rendell expressed concern that mounting losses could put a strain on families and businesses and continue to depress state revenue collections.
"The nation's economic downturn is affecting the lives of workers across the country and here in Pennsylvania," Governor Rendell said. "The fact that Pennsylvania's unemployment rate remains well below the national rate shows that we are weathering the storm better than many states, but economists are predicting things could get worse before they get better.
"We need to remain vigilant about cutting and controlling state spending wherever possible, while we continue strategic investments that can provide immediate economic stimulus that will create jobs for hardworking Pennsylvanians.
"We have already identified hundreds of millions of dollars in spending cuts without significant negative affect on services. This week, I directed my cabinet to look more closely at their budgets because we need to cut more. We will try to do this with as little harm as possible, but some cuts will be painful.
"Fortunately, Pennsylvania is already focusing on infrastructure investments to stimulate our economy and keep people working. Thanks to our historic infrastructure investment this year, workers are busy repairing and replacing more than 400 bridges, fixing water and sewer systems and making communities safe from floods.
"We can do more. Voters overwhelmingly approved the $400 million clean water bond referendum on Nov. 4, which will produce a significant level of new economic activity.
"In addition to using the resources approved in this year's state budget, I continue to push for increased federal infrastructure funding that will create jobs and provide an immediate stimulus to our economy.
"Working with our federal partners we can take the steps necessary to turn the nation's economy around," he said.
Earlier this week, Governor Rendell met in Washington with members of President-elect Obama's transition team and key legislative leaders to discuss the nation's infrastructure needs.
"If we don't act quickly, we will see our infrastructure fall further into disrepair," the Governor said. "Now is the time to make infrastructure investments that will support tens of millions of jobs. These are good-paying jobs that put steel and concrete into the ground. They will stimulate our economy now and pay dividends for our economy and society for decades to come."
The Rendell administration is committed to creating a first-rate public education system, protecting our most vulnerable citizens and continuing economic investment to support our communities and businesses. To find out more about Governor Rendell's initiatives and to sign up for his weekly newsletter, visit: www.governor.state.pa.us.

We have to think of this on a National Scale. Maybe these tough ugly times will turn out to be a Swan and blessing in disguise.

A fresh new start on all fronts.

A WPA-like work force could do wonders for some of the infrastructure problems.

But many, like the power grid, are not going to be solved by that sort of effort. It would simply create a high body count.

But many, like the power grid, are not going to be solved by that sort of effort. It would simply create a high body count.

Yep. In the modern day and age, a lot of necessary work can only be done by skilled labor.

Agree .. WPA like force could work well in rebuilding roads, water and sewer systems. Bridges and Power Grid will definitely need skilled work force ..but there is always the need for general labor with every project.

It could potentially create opportunities in reviving Vocational Training in this Country... an area where we regressed.

Agree .. WPA like force could work well in rebuilding roads, water and sewer systems. Bridges and Power Grid will definitely need skilled work force ..but there is always the need for general labor with every project.

It could potentially create opportunities in reviving Vocational Training in this Country... an area where we regressed.

Water and sewer systems would be a good place for WPAish labor. Provided the supervision was professional.

Trenching & Excavation is one of the most dangerous work areas in the country. In fact, OSHA has only 2 areas that they are duty bound to check if they see them. And one is any trench or excavation. Unless they are on their way to an emergency, any OSHA inspector is required to check excavations they see.

And with good reason.

I am beginning to think wall street and corporate leadership needs some semi skilled labor. Those genuises can't seem to get their heads out of their pre programmed butts.

While rebuilding an ailing infrastructure is long-time over due, depending on it as a solution to our ailing economy is dangerous at best, flat out stupid in the long run. Just how much do people really want to be dependent on government? The number of people whose careers reside in government is already much too high. Deliberately adding to that as a band-aid on our economic woes will not fix things for long. Fixing the infrastructure and fixing the economy should be considered distinct and unrelated problems.

While rebuilding an ailing infrastructure is long-time over due, depending on it as a solution to our ailing economy is dangerous at best, flat out stupid in the long run. Just how much do people really want to be dependent on government? The number of people whose careers reside in government is already much too high. Deliberately adding to that as a band-aid on our economic woes will not fix things for long. Fixing the infrastructure and fixing the economy should be considered distinct and unrelated problems.

I don't know if the people who suggest a resurgence of the WPA style are looking at it as a permanent solution.

I see it as a way to rebuild the infrastructure at a lower cost, and as a way to keep the burden of very high unemployment rates from destroying any progress we make in rebuilding the economy.

If the unemployment grows higher, we will already have increasing numbers depending on the government. But by having them provide service in exchange for financial aid, it becomes employment instead of welfare.

I do not see it as anything but a short-term assistance program for displaced workers.

PA Governor Rendell Says Mounting Job Losses Mean Tougher Times Ahead

Last update: 5:51 p.m. EST Nov. 20, 2008
HARRISBURG, Pa., Nov 20, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Infrastructure Investments Necessary Even as Belts are Tightened
Reacting to today's announcement that Pennsylvania lost 7,300 more jobs in October, Governor Edward G. Rendell expressed concern that mounting losses could put a strain on families and businesses and continue to depress state revenue collections.

"The nation's economic downturn is affecting the lives of workers across the country and here in Pennsylvania," Governor Rendell said. "The fact that Pennsylvania's unemployment rate remains well below the national rate shows that we are weathering the storm better than many states, but economists are predicting things could get worse before they get better.
"We need to remain vigilant about cutting and controlling state spending wherever possible, while we continue strategic investments that can provide immediate economic stimulus that will create jobs for hardworking Pennsylvanians.

"We have already identified hundreds of millions of dollars in spending cuts without significant negative affect on services. This week, I directed my cabinet to look more closely at their budgets because we need to cut more. We will try to do this with as little harm as possible, but some cuts will be painful.

"Fortunately, Pennsylvania is already focusing on infrastructure investments to stimulate our economy and keep people working. Thanks to our historic infrastructure investment this year, workers are busy repairing and replacing more than 400 bridges, fixing water and sewer systems and making communities safe from floods.

"We can do more. Voters overwhelmingly approved the $400 million clean water bond referendum on Nov. 4, which will produce a significant level of new economic activity.

"In addition to using the resources approved in this year's state budget, I continue to push for increased federal infrastructure funding that will create jobs and provide an immediate stimulus to our economy.
"Working with our federal partners we can take the steps necessary to turn the nation's economy around," he said.

Earlier this week, Governor Rendell met in Washington with members of President-elect Obama's transition team and key legislative leaders to discuss the nation's infrastructure needs.

"If we don't act quickly, we will see our infrastructure fall further into disrepair," the Governor said. "Now is the time to make infrastructure investments that will support tens of millions of jobs. These are good-paying jobs that put steel and concrete into the ground. They will stimulate our economy now and pay dividends for our economy and society for decades to come."

The Rendell administration is committed to creating a first-rate public education system, protecting our most vulnerable citizens and continuing economic investment to support our communities and businesses. To find out more about Governor Rendell's initiatives and to sign up for his weekly newsletter, visit: www.governor.state.pa.us.

There are some good points in the above, but I found it hard to read. Too little white space, so I edited here, as I could.

Back