Pentagon institute calls war a major debacle

Oh goody now I get to listen to WRL tell us all how Joseph Collins is a liberal hack and how the National Defense College is full of liberals.

"Measured in blood and treasure, the war in Iraq has achieved the status of a major war and a major debacle," says the report's opening line.

The report said that the United States has suffered serious political costs, with its standing in the world seriously diminished. Moreover, operations in Iraq have diverted "manpower, materiel and the attention of decision-makers" from "all other efforts in the war on terror" and severely strained the U.S. armed forces.

"Compounding all of these problems, our efforts there (in Iraq ) were designed to enhance U.S. national security, but they have become, at least temporarily, an incubator for terrorism and have emboldened Iran to expand its influence throughout the Middle East ," the report continued.

and the hits just keep coming.

I have an idea WRL. Since this is one more in a long line of liberal defeatist propaganda, YOU should write YOUR report on Iraq. Go over the National Defense College report and point by point refute it.

The report carries considerable weight because it was written by Joseph Collins , a former senior Pentagon official, and was based in part on interviews with other former senior defense and intelligence officials who played roles in prewar preparations.

It was published by the university's National Institute for Strategic Studies , a Defense Department research center.

"Measured in blood and treasure, the war in Iraq has achieved the status of a major war and a major debacle," says the report's opening line.

Like I said damned liberals is all they will say.

Perhaps the others sensed this might not be 'the end' of that story?

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/2008/04/pentagon-study-current-events/

The Miami Herald piece on a NDU "occasional paper" (Choosing War: The Decision to Invade Iraq and Its Aftermath), quoted alternately as a Pentagon or NDU study, raised some flags here at SWJ. So we asked the author, Joseph Collins, to provide some context. His reply:

The Miami Herald story ("Pentagon Study: War is a 'Debacle' ") distorts the nature of and intent of my personal research project. It was not an NDU study, nor was it a Pentagon study. Indeed, the implication of the Herald story was that this study was mostly about current events. Such is not the case. It was mainly about the period 2002-04. The story also hypes a number of paragraphs, many of which are quoted out of context. The study does not "lay much of the blame" on Secretary Rumsfeld for problems in the conduct of the war, nor does it say that he "bypassed the Joint Chiefs of Staff." It does not single out "Condoleeza Rice and Stephen Hadley" for criticism.

Here is a fair summary of my personal research, which formally is NDU INSS Occasional Paper 5, "Choosing War: The Decision to Invade Iraq and Its Aftermath."​

This study examines how the United States chose to go to war in Iraq, how its decision-making process functioned, and what can be done to improve that process. The central finding of this study is that U.S. efforts in Iraq were hobbled by a set of faulty assumptions, a flawed planning effort, and a continuing inability to create security conditions in Iraq that could have fostered meaningful advances in stabilization, reconstruction, and governance. With the best of intentions, the United States toppled a vile, dangerous regime but has been unable to replace it with a stable entity. Even allowing for progress under the Surge, the study insists that mistakes in the Iraq operation cry out in the mid- to long-term for improvements in the U.S. decision-making and policy execution systems.

The study recommends the development of a national planning charter, improving the qualifications of national security planners, streamlining policy execution in the field, improving military education, strengthening the Department of State and USAID, and reviewing the tangled legal authorities for complex contingencies. The study ends with a plea to improve alliance relations and to exercise caution in deciding to go to war.​

SWJ Editors Note: Unfortunately this is not the first instance - nor will it be the last – of highly selective use of source quotes and excerpts as well as distortion of context by members of the “mainstream media” in reporting on recent events and trends in Iraq…

The study ends with a plea to improve alliance relations and to exercise caution in deciding to go to war.

oh you are right he really is just saying "great job Bush"

Im sorry Kathy Im just so tired of experts coming out and telling the truth about Iraq and then getting scared by how much "See even this guy thinks so" and trying to back peddal because the admin takes the punches they have so long deserved.

This war will go down in history as very possibly the worst foriegn policy by an Amerivan president.

This war was run badly because they did not care about the conciquences to the our country they were thinking about what a certain sector of America would gain.

They had their eyes on a diferent prize. How badly they planned and or failed to plan is proof of the fact.

How anyone can defend this pack of traitors is beyond me.

Im sorry Kathy Im just so tired of experts coming out and telling the truth about Iraq and then getting scared by how much "See even this guy thinks so" and trying to back peddal because the admin takes the punches they have so long deserved.

This war will go down in history as very possibly the worst foriegn policy by an Amerivan president.

This war was run badly because they did not care about the conciquences to the our country they were thinking about what a certain sector of America would gain.

They had their eyes on a diferent prize. How badly they planned and or failed to plan is proof of the fact.

How anyone can defend this pack of traitors is beyond me.

Desh, the man responding was the expert you are praising.

I know that. Hes trying to blunt the facts he found because the of the impact they are having on the administration.

The study is condeming enough on its own.

U.S. efforts in Iraq were hobbled by a set of faulty assumptions, a flawed planning effort, and a continuing inability to create security conditions in Iraq that could have fostered meaningful advances in stabilization, reconstruction, and governance. With the best of intentions, the United States toppled a vile, dangerous regime but has been unable to replace it with a stable entity. Even allowing for progress under the Surge, the study insists that mistakes in the Iraq operation cry out in the mid- to long-term for improvements in the U.S. decision-making and policy execution systems.

The study recommends the development of a national planning charter, improving the qualifications of national security planners, streamlining policy execution in the field, improving military education, strengthening the Department of State and USAID, and reviewing the tangled legal authorities for complex contingencies. The study ends with a plea to improve alliance relations and to exercise caution in deciding to go to war.

Then look at the above parragraph. He is calling for an entity to teach the presidents staff what the hell they are doing before just unleashing idiots on the world who have no idea about foriegn relations and the consiquences of military action.

Yeah he is covering his butt so that when people draw the conclusion that when a president appoints cronies who have no idea what they are doing they should have to talk to this national planning charter before they are unleashed on the world.

It was a condeming report no matter how you look at it.

Kathy I know we have had our differances but you are just too fricking smart to be trying to minimize the damage incurred this country because of Bush policies.

"I think for us to get american military personnel involved in a civil war inside Iraq would literally be a quagmire. Once we got to Baghdad, what would we do ?... I do not think the United States wants to have U.S. military forces accept casualties and accept responsibility of trying to govern Iraq. It makes no sense at all"

Said by Dick Cheny (SOD) in 1991 after gulf war.

And what Kathy is TRYING to imply through all of this is "look it was a study of 2002 to 2004! It doesn't apply to today! This is not now!" So Kathy tell me about now. Tell me about how this group of people that "were hobbled by a set of faulty assumptions, a flawed planning effort, and a continuing inability to create security conditions in Iraq" in 2002-2004 have turned that shit around. Are the Iraqi's all holding hands and singing Kumbaya with one another. Does the country now have running water and electricity? To hell with that does all of BAGDAD have runnng water and electricity? Hackery at its finest.

Desh, the man responding was the expert you are praising.

And what Kathy is TRYING to imply through all of this is "look it was a study of 2002 to 2004! It doesn't apply to today! This is not now!" So Kathy tell me about now. Tell me about how this group of people that "were hobbled by a set of faulty assumptions, a flawed planning effort, and a continuing inability to create security conditions in Iraq" in 2002-2004 have turned that shit around. Are the Iraqi's all holding hands and singing Kumbaya with one another. Does the country now have running water and electricity? To hell with that does all of BAGDAD have runnng water and electricity? Hackery at its finest.

Yeah, that's what she's saying. If you don't pay attention to what she's saying you might even believe it.

Don't expect a response. She can't argue her way out of a wet paper sack.

I'm fine with the normal definition of nationalism. It's just not "always bad" as you assert in your idiotic haze of internationalist ideology.

:hide: or :duel: whenever nationalism rears its ugly rhetoric/propaganda. You haven't a clue basement dweller.

What you morons missed is the AUTHOR of the article giveing his words some context..THE CONTEXT HE PUT THEM IN , and exposing the lies of the LIBERAL LYING PRESS...

1. The Miami Herald story ("Pentagon Study: War is a 'Debacle' ") distorts the nature of and intent of my personal research project.

2. It was not an NDU study, nor was it a Pentagon study.

3. Indeed, the implication of the Herald story was that this study was mostly about current events. Such is not the case.

4. The story also hypes a number of paragraphs, many of which are quoted out of context.

5. The study does not "lay much of the blame" on Secretary Rumsfeld for problems in the conduct of the war,

6. nor does it say that he "bypassed the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

7. It does not single out "Condoleeza Rice and Stephen Hadley" for criticism.

So what have we...?
WE have the Miami Herald laying out a story of lies, misconceptions, and mis-characterations...

And when the AUTHOR trys to correct the lies of the Miami Herald, desh says "he's scared" and "backpeddeling".....(Talk about making shit up out of thin air)

First she loves what she thinks hes saying because shes getting a slanted untruthful picture drawn for her that she wants to believe....

Then when the aurthor addresses the misconceptions, she as mush as calls him a coward for coming forward....

Go read the original post.

It has a link to the study and you can read it yourself.

It is not very rosy in and of its self.

Back