People are just not going to take this anymore

Right, it hinders their ability to vote early? Rubbish. I don't know of any county here that has more than one location for early voting. Of course you can get a mail-in ballot.

7 miles? That's less than the distance to our regular polling place. Geez. What dinks. 7 miles is not a hindrance in this day and age.

Right, it hinders their ability to vote early? Rubbish. I don't know of any county here that has more than one location for early voting. Of course you can get a mail-in ballot.

7 miles? That's less than the distance to our regular polling place. Geez. What dinks. 7 miles is not a hindrance in this day and age.

Agreed Damo. We have people driving 18 or more miles in our voting district. We have a great turnout even if we are just voting for who the trash collectors are going to be. Of course I suspect that this would be an issue of importance to the maintainers of a website called "crooksandliars."

Prairie View A&M students organized to protest the decision, because they felt it hindered their ability to vote. For background, Prairie View A&M is one of Texas’ historically Black universities. It has a very different demographic feel than the rest of the county. There has been a long history of dispute over what the students feel is disenfranchisement. There was a lot of outrage in 2006, when students felt they were unfairly denied the right to vote when their registrations somehow did not get processed.

According to an article in today’s Houston Chronicle:

Waller County has faced numerous lawsuits involving voting rights in the past 30 years and remains under investigation by the Texas Attorney General’s Office based on complaints by local black leaders. Those allegations, concerning the November 2006 general election, related to voting machine failures, inadequate staffing and long delays for voting results.

The article adds,

“I was angry after registering to vote in the 2006 election only to be turned away at the voting booth,” said sophomore Dee Dee Williams.

i can make financial transactions for thousands of dollars online. i should be able to vote online as well.

Prairie View A&M students organized to protest the decision, because they felt it hindered their ability to vote. For background, Prairie View A&M is one of Texas’ historically Black universities. It has a very different demographic feel than the rest of the county. There has been a long history of dispute over what the students feel is disenfranchisement. There was a lot of outrage in 2006, when students felt they were unfairly denied the right to vote when their registrations somehow did not get processed.

Waller County has faced numerous lawsuits involving voting rights in the past 30 years and remains under investigation by the Texas Attorney General’s Office based on complaints by local black leaders. Those allegations, concerning the November 2006 general election, related to voting machine failures, inadequate staffing and long delays for voting results.

The article adds,

“I was angry after registering to vote in the 2006 election only to be turned away at the voting booth,” said sophomore Dee Dee Williams.

Yep desh, I read those parts and initially thought that that was what they were protesting. After Damo's post I re-read the article and saw that it wasn't.

By the way, did you feel the earthquake?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331649,00.html

I didn't even notice that it was just one for early voting. There will be 15 sites on election day. Plus, they added early sites.

That said, Desh is right in pointing out the history of problems this county seems to have.

You gotta be kidding me! 7 miles?!? That's nothing.

In 2000 I did early voting at the one location in Hillsborough, in downtown Tampa. I lived in Hyde Park which is pretty darn close and it had to be at least 4 miles.

The article adds,

The only way she was "turned away" is if she refused to fill out a provisional ballot. Many people register at the last second and don't show up on the official lists.

You gotta be kidding me! 7 miles?!? That's nothing.

In 2000 I did early voting at the one location in Hillsborough, in downtown Tampa. I lived in Hyde Park which is pretty darn close and it had to be at least 4 miles.

Some lady in the office where I'm working said she drove 10 miles to vote a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to say anything to her but I was just thinking how far out in the boonies are you? Anything for affordable housing I guess.

Some lady in the office where I'm working said she drove 10 miles to vote a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to say anything to her but I was just thinking how far out in the boonies are you? Anything for affordable housing I guess.

Hey.....some of us just don't like people.

Back