People need to learn what exactly a "hero" is

Page's family: Leave our 'hero' son alone

CNN) -- The family of a Louisiana teenager who reported "sick" e-mails from former Rep. Mark Foley called their son a hero Thursday and said they want reporters to go away.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/05/page.statement/index.html

that doesn't make you a hero, that makes you doing what any responsibile person would do. That makes you an ethical person. IT IS YOUR JOB AS A HUMAN BEING TO REPORT THIS.... its not making you a hero

when you use the word hero for retarded common sense actions you belittle everyone who really is a hero

its kinda sad how the word 'hero' is thrown around here...

a hero is someone who goes to war and dies at 19 for their country... thats what a hero is...

people who save people from buildings that are about to collapse... thats a hero

people who give their life so others may live, thats a hero

a hero is not someone who reports disgusting behavior to authorites....

these people need to come back to reality

Well, the other day in our cafeteria, I alerted the clerk to some sour milk by the coffee dispensers. I'm definitely a hero.

You're absolutely right, CS! I'd also like to see a lid put on all the references to the word, "courage," in sports. Courage has nothing to do with scoring a run or a touchdown or a goal, or even playing hurt. As you said, this demeans anyone who does have and show real courage. And real heroism. Good post.

the word hero is very variable to the person and the society.
A standard dad might be a hero to his small son.
A terrorist might be a hero to a Taliban sympathizer.
Bush is a hero to dixie
you get the idea ?

This young man did the right thing and I can understand his parents calling him a hero. Not a thing wrong with that.

This young man did the right thing and I can understand his parents calling him a hero. Not a thing wrong with that.
Not a thing wrong with his parents calling him that, no. Parents tend to think of their children that way -- and vice verse. I don't think that the point was to criticize the parents, however.

We've allowed the word "hero" to become dilluted by overuse. This kid did the right thing, just as you say. That alone doesn't make him a hero, though it does make his actions admirable.

The victims of the WTC collapse weren't heroes, for example -- at least not to anyone other than the Bush administration. They were victims. Many of them may also have done heroic things, but we don't know.

I agree with that Ornot. Except there are times when doing the right thing under trying circumstances could indeed make someone a hero.

The word hero comes from the Pelgasian Greece. Societies were matralineal, the king only held his position for a 'great year' after which he was sacrificed for the good of the harvest to the god Hera.

Hero means 'king sacrificed to Hera'.

Anyone who isn't sacrificed shouldn't be deemed a hero... lol If this kids parents had sacrificed him after the incident, it might be accurate.....

Thanks Any, did not know that. Sure glad I am no "hero"

Although the term has taken on other connotations beyond 'saviour of the harvest' since then....

Back