Personal free cell phone towers

Verizon and AT&T Provided Cell Towers for McCain Ranch
Senator's Wife Did Not Receive Favors, Campaign Says

Ethics lawyers said Cindy McCain's dealings with Verizon and At& T stand out because her husband, Sen. John McCain, is a senior member of the Senate commerce committee, which oversees the telecommunications industry. (By Carolyn Kaster -- Associated Press)
Early in 2007, just as her husband launched his presidential bid, Cindy McCain sought to resolve an old problem -- the lack of cellphone coverage on her remote 15-acre ranch near Sedona, Ariz., nestled deep in a tree-lined canyon called Hidden Valley.

Over the past year, she offered land for a permanent cell tower, and Verizon Wireless embarked on an expensive public process to meet her needs, hiring contractors and seeking county land-use permits.

Verizon ultimately abandoned its effort to install a permanent tower in August. Company spokesman Jeffrey Nelson said the project would be "an inappropriate way" to build its network. "It doesn't make business sense for us to do that," he added.

Instead, Verizon delivered a portable tower known as a "cell site on wheels" -- free of charge -- to the McCain property in June, after the Secret Service began inquiring about improving coverage in the area. Such devices are used for providing temporary capacity where coverage is lacking or has been knocked out, in circumstances ranging from the Super Bowl to hurricanes.

In July, AT&T followed suit, wheeling in a portable tower for free to match Verizon's offer. "This is an unusual situation," AT&T spokeswoman Claudia B. Jones said. "You can't have a presidential nominee in an area where there is not cell coverage."

Ok I think this particular paragraph should be looked at without a political eye:

Instead, Verizon delivered a portable tower known as a "cell site on wheels" -- free of charge -- to the McCain property in June, after the Secret Service began inquiring about improving coverage in the area. Such devices are used for providing temporary capacity where coverage is lacking or has been knocked out, in circumstances ranging from the Super Bowl to hurricanes.
Hmmm I wonder why the Secret Service would be so concerned about cell phone coverage? Maybe just in case someone went out to McCain's remote ranch with guns and they needed back up, or he took ill or any other number of reasons that are legit and have NOTHING to do with favors for Cindy? Wow. Now can I be called a hack for McCain for standing up for what is painfully obvious?

Ok I think this particular paragraph should be looked at without a political eye:

Hmmm I wonder why the Secret Service would be so concerned about cell phone coverage? Maybe just in case someone went out to McCain's remote ranch with guns and they needed back up, or he took ill or any other number of reasons that are legit and have NOTHING to do with favors for Cindy? Wow. Now can I be called a hack for McCain for standing up for what is painfully obvious?

damn you lawyer man... ya beat me to it...

This thread is an example of what happens when people post articles they clearly haven't taken the time to READ.

Couldnt he just use his other 10 houses instead?

Couldnt he just use his other 10 houses instead?

So now, because you are embarassed that you didn't read your own article, you are going to still try to blame this on McCain rather than simply admit you were wrong???

Side note... he doesn't have ten other homes... so that makes you a liar. ;)

Okay, if you really want it.

That was Hacktacular!

Unfortunately, the Secret Service explanation isn't holding up to scrutiny. Yes, the Secret Service requested and received temporary cell phone towers, but there was also a two year and very costly effort to get permanent cell phone towers in place at McCain's ranch independent of the temporary Secret Service towers that was prompted at the request of Cindy McCain.

Unfortunately, the Secret Service explanation isn't holding up to scrutiny. Yes, the Secret Service requested and received temporary cell phone towers, but there was also a two year and very costly effort to get permanent cell phone towers in place at McCain's ranch independent of the temporary Secret Service towers that was prompted at the request of Cindy McCain.
And they didn't get the permanent towers and IF they had McCain was going to GIVE them some of the land for the towers. There was just no way they could justify the cost from the benefit.

Back