Plato's Republic vs. Aristotle's Politics

Cypress

"Cypress you motherfucking whore!"
Plato: Women who are capable and educated have as much right to be in positions of leadership as men in the republic.

Aristotle: Nature dictates that man is the rational being, woman is the irrational nurturing being. Nature intends men to be leaders, women to be ruled.

Plato: Abolition of private property and the nuclear family are neccessary for the rulers and elite in a rational and just society, so that their sole focus is on the common interest

Aristotle: Private property is a natural institution, and should be possessed in moderation. Efforts to abolish private property are futile and dangerous.

Plato: The Republic must be ruled permanently by philosopher kings, which unites political power with true wisdom (aristocracy).

Aristotle: Concentrating power in elites concentrates the potential for corruption. Rule by the middle class is preferable because it constitutes the golden mean between rich and poor, would follow moderation, and resist radical change (polity)

Footnotes:
Inspired by Plato's Republic; professor of political science Dennis Dalton; professor of philosophy Phillip Carey

It's at the bottom of the post, moron.

Footnotes:
Inspired by Plato's Republic; professor of political science Dennis Dalton; professor of philosophy Phillip Carey

He just saw that I posted something and immediately got angry without even looking closely at the post.

He just saw that I posted something and immediately got angry without even looking closely at the post.

I believe that poster is a female. I find her emotional, reactive, and vapid. The only thing she ever posts with any meaning is a linked news source but then offers no commentary as to why anyone should care.

It appears that semantics is a more interesting discussion topic than what was presented in the OP.

Plato seems a bit of a communist, per your summations of his philosophy, except for that aristocracy bit.

It appears that semantics is a more interesting discussion topic than what was presented in the OP.

Plato seems a bit of a communist, per your summations of his philosophy, except for that aristocracy bit.

Cypress never read Plato. He gets "inspired" and refuses to quote people he "borrows" from.
And Cypress never read Aristotle.

He does seem sorta comunistic-ishy?

Neither of them were really advocates of democracy. Plato seems more idealistic, Aristotle more pragmatic, which is pretty consistent with their entire philosophical projects respectively

He does seem sorta comunistic-ishy?

Neither of them were really advocates of democracy. Plato seems more idealistic, Aristotle more pragmatic, which is pretty consistent with their entire philosophical projects respectively

Aristotle was an advocate of democracy. Very clear in his text called, Politics.

Cypress never read Plato. He gets "inspired" and refuses to quote people he "borrows" from.
And Cypress never read Aristotle.

Your anger and resentment are not the topics of this thread
I have read Plato's Republic, and Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics.

If you are angry that I haven't read the entire extant collection of writings by both of them, there are only about ten thousand people in North America who have read the entire collected works of Plato and Aristotle. That is not a valid reason to be angry at me about.

"Plato: Women who are capable and educated have as much right to be in positions of leadership as men in the republic."--Cypress

Please cite where he says that, because it goes against everything he wrote.
In the Republic he says expressing emotion in public is not appropriate for men, because it is how inferior women act.

Aristotle was an advocate of democracy. Very clear in his text called, Politics.

Incorrect. Aristotle thought power should be vested with the literate property owners. What we would call the upper middle class or the mercantile class.
People who didn't have property, were illiterate, or poor would not be empowered. Aristotle wanted something in-between an oligarchy and a democracy.

"Plato: Women who are capable and educated have as much right to be in positions of leadership as men in the republic."--Cypress

Please cite where he says that, because it goes against everything he wrote.
In the Republic he says expressing emotion in public is not appropriate for men, because it is how inferior women act.

It's common knowledge to anyone who read the Republic that Plato thought capable and educated women should be able to serve in public leadership. This is one of the unique characteristics of Plato that lead some people to call Plato a feminist, though I think that is hyperbole.

It's common knowledge to anyone who read the Republic that Plato thought capable and educated women should be able to serve in public leadership. This is one of the unique characteristics of Plato that lead some people to call Plato a feminist, though I think that is hyperbole.

"Common knowledge" is whatever Cypress opines. Sorry, not valid.

I wish that I could remember the name of that Greek restaurant in Lowell that had the blue mirrors inside.

I think the owner's name was Aristotle.

That's the only place I've been that made lamb that I could eat,
but I haven't been there since the late 70s.

Everybody could be dead by now, plus I can't remember exactly where the place was.

I'm not sure that we discussed much philosophy there.
I remember talking about the Red Sox a lot.

Back