Political Party-- The Beginning

gonzojournals

Better than You
I've been thinking for some time now of making a new political party (not so much with the illusion that it would get anywhere so much as with the hope that I would finally have a solid ideological home), but I am pretty much unaware of the legalities of politics.

Does anyone know what steps I would have to take for everything to be "official"?

You have a right to assemble. However if you want a possibility of winning getting on before the write in guys is pretty important.

Many states make it very difficult and the Libertarian Party is not official because of it in many states.

You have a right to assemble. However if you want a possibility of winning getting on before the write in guys is pretty important.

Many states make it very difficult and the Libertarian Party is not official because of it in many states.

Ah, ok. Good to know.

So to get on the ballot there is paperwork/signatures and other such obstacles to overcome, but simply to exist before attempting to tackle the tasks ahead only requires people being interested in assembling.

Ah, ok. Good to know.

So to get on the ballot there is paperwork/signatures and other such obstacles to overcome, but simply to exist before attempting to tackle the tasks ahead only requires people being interested in assembling.
Correct. You can also create a non-profit organization so that you can collect donations without having to pay taxes.

I've been thinking for some time now of making a new political party (not so much with the illusion that it would get anywhere so much as with the hope that I would finally have a solid ideological home), but I am pretty much unaware of the legalities of politics.

Does anyone know what steps I would have to take for everything to be "official"?

scrap that idea and join unity08.

Well that is certainly good to know--- what does that entail?
Well, there are many rules for such an organization. And since yours would be political in nature you would have to follow those rules or lose your tax exemption.

You would need to file with the state to create the organization and get a Tax Identification number then keep records of donations properly according to those laws. At this point I would direct you to speak with a lawyer because I really don't know all the rules.

Well, there are many rules for such an organization. And since yours would be political in nature you would have to follow those rules or lose your tax exemption.

You would need to file with the state to create the organization and get a Tax Identification number then keep records of donations properly according to those laws. At this point I would direct you to speak with a lawyer because I really don't know all the rules.

Thank God I have one in the family :)...save me some cash.

All of this seems very complicated.

It depends on the state.

If you REALLY want to know, call a lawyer. And prepare to waste a few thousand.

I know in Mississippi it's supposedly very easy to register a political party. I'm not even entirely certain it requires signatures, but you do have to set up a committee and pay a few. I don't know the specifics. BUt I doubt your state is as easy - I actually think Mississippi's registration process is the easiest out of all the states, if I'm not mistaken.

It depends on the state.

If you REALLY want to know, call a lawyer. And prepare to waste a few thousand.

I know in Mississippi it's supposedly very easy to register a political party. I'm not even entirely certain it requires signatures, but you do have to set up a committee and pay a few. I don't know the specifics. BUt I doubt your state is as easy - I actually think Mississippi's registration process is the easiest out of all the states, if I'm not mistaken.
Hmm...might be better to make a political organisation and just bitch at candidates.

A 527 may be your best bet. Other than "no contact between candidates and your organization", there are not very much rules for those groups.

Back