Politics.....disgustingly interesting

leaningright

Moderate Republican
Staff member
OK, I won't vote for Mr. Obama if he receives the nomination. In fact the only democratic candidate in this field I would vote for would be Richardson. But the following article strikes an exceptionally raw chord with me. For weeks now I have been defending Obama against the accusations of people who live here about his being Muslim. He's not. They've heard it somewhere or assume it because of his name or whatever. But you still have people out there trying to paint him as such.....mostly for political profit. Telling lies about the opposition is no way to conduct business, IMO.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317031,00.html

But uscitizen, this is coming from both sides of the aisle, mainly the democratic side here in my state......not from the candidates directly but from their supporters. I think it is the political "mode of operation" for most people involved in politics.

I have been defending Obama against the accusations of people who live here about his being Muslim. He's not. They've heard it somewhere or assume it because of his name or whatever

I don't have any sympathy for Oklahomans who spend their freakin' time debating whether or not Obama is a muslim (he's not, as you pointed out), while hundreds of thousands die in Iraq, and George Bush drives the ship of state over the cliff.

A theme of Obama's keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and the title of his 2006 book, The Audacity of Hope, was inspired by his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.[146] In Chapter 6 of the book, titled "Faith," Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents, as detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his Kenyan father as "raised a Muslim," but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his Indonesian stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful."

I have been defending Obama against the accusations of people who live here about his being Muslim. He's not. They've heard it somewhere or assume it because of his name or whatever

I don't have any sympathy for Oklahomans who spend their freakin' time debating whether or not Obama is a muslim (he's not, as you pointed out), while hundreds of thousands die in Iraq, and George Bush drives the ship of state over the cliff.

I'm sorry you feel that way but whether or not someone is a Muslim in this day and time is relevant to the vast majority of America (we can debate whether or not it should be relevant but that's another thread) , not just Oklahomans. I just want the guy to have a fair shake in this whole thing, even if he winds up being the democratic nominee and runs against a republican I can support.

So much of political strategy today involves "innuendo campaigns" - trying to create an impression or fear about a candidate which is baseless, but which is nonetheless effective because of repitition, and because it plays on a concern that is at the forefront of voters' minds.

It's a real drag.

So much of political strategy today involves "innuendo campaigns" - trying to create an impression or fear about a candidate which is baseless, but which is nonetheless effective because of repitition, and because it plays on a concern that is at the forefront of voters' minds.

It's a real drag.

I agree Lorax. I have voted for people who have used these tactics before and likely will have to again. Doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Why should him being Muslam be a slur against him. Even were he Muslam that should not matter.

OK, I won't vote for Mr. Obama if he receives the nomination. In fact the only democratic candidate in this field I would vote for would be Richardson. But the following article strikes an exceptionally raw chord with me. For weeks now I have been defending Obama against the accusations of people who live here about his being Muslim. He's not. They've heard it somewhere or assume it because of his name or whatever. But you still have people out there trying to paint him as such.....mostly for political profit. Telling lies about the opposition is no way to conduct business, IMO.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317031,00.html

lr

tell that to carl rove - it seems that some politicians think it is better to sling mud than to stand up and say what they stand for

Back