Politics versus poverty

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
Here's an interesting little article regarding attempts to get financial relief to out-of-work folk whose unemployment insurance has terminated, and why some states are refusing this federal aide:

States turn down federal money for jobless benefits

... But the study describes the cost to the states as "minimal," noting that the nine states still abstaining from the program collectively have directed an average of just 2.7 percent of all regular state benefits to out-of-work government employees. The costs of such outlays are far outweighed by the stimulative effect that the program at large would create for hard-up state economies, NELP argues. Economists at the liberal Economic Policy Institute and the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities say their research bears that out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...-turn-down-federal-money-for-jobless-benefits

Here's an interesting little article regarding attempts to get financial relief to out-of-work folk whose unemployment insurance has terminated, and why some states are refusing this federal aide:

States turn down federal money for jobless benefits

... But the study describes the cost to the states as "minimal," noting that the nine states still abstaining from the program collectively have directed an average of just 2.7 percent of all regular state benefits to out-of-work government employees. The costs of such outlays are far outweighed by the stimulative effect that the program at large would create for hard-up state economies, NELP argues. Economists at the liberal Economic Policy Institute and the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities say their research bears that out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...-turn-down-federal-money-for-jobless-benefits

Simple. It wouldn't help the downpressers themselves, just those to whom they are denying the money.

Poverty is such a tough topic, it touches all the words that come to stand for ideology rather than reason. I was reading 'What Orwell didn't know' recently and came across this interesting author. A perspective we too often ignore.

"['Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act'— now widely referred to as welfare repeal]...fails to acknowledge the role that scientific poverty expertise played in bringing welfare as we knew it to an end. Following a well-established pattern in post–Great Society policy analysis, the Clinton administration’s poverty experts had already embraced and defined the parameters of a sweeping welfare reform featuring proposals that promised to change the behavior of poor people while paying little more than rhetorical attention to the problems of low-wage work, rising income inequality, or structural economic change, and none at all to the steadily mounting political disenfranchisement of the postindustrial working class. Approaching the poverty problem within the narrow conceptual frame of individual failings rather than structural inequality, of cultural and skill “deficits” rather than the unequal distribution of power and wealth, the social scientific architects of President Clinton’s original, comparatively less punitive welfare reform proposal made “dependency” their principal target and then stood by helpless as congressional conservatives took their logic to its radical extreme. Their helplessness in the matter was not just a matter of “bad” politics laying “good” scientific knowledge to waste. It was also a failure of the knowledge itself." Introduction, Alice O'Connor: 'Poverty Knowledge' Amazon.com: Poverty Knowledge: Social Science, Social Policy, and the Poor in Twentieth-Century U.S. History (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America) (9780691102559): Alice O'Connor: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J9wx-QSKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51J9wx-QSKL

This is good too.

"For anyone born after 1945, the welfare state and its institutions were not a solution to earlier dilemmas: they were simply the normal conditions of life - and more than a little dull. The baby boomers, entering university in the mid sixties, had only ever known the world of improving life chances, generous medical and educational services, optimistic prospects of a upward social mobility and - perhaps above all - an indefinable but ubiquitous sense of security. The goals of an earlier generation of reformers were no longer of interest to their successors. On the contrary they were increasingly perceived as restrictions upon the self-expression and freedom of the individual." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land' Amazon.com: Ill Fares the Land (9781594202766): Tony Judt: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iVS57bmxL.@@AMEPARAM@@41iVS57bmxL

Poverty is such a tough topic, it touches all the words that come to stand for ideology rather than reason. I was reading 'What Orwell didn't know' recently and came across this interesting author. A perspective we too often ignore.

"['Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act'— now widely referred to as welfare repeal]...fails to acknowledge the role that scientific poverty expertise played in bringing welfare as we knew it to an end. Following a well-established pattern in post–Great Society policy analysis, the Clinton administration’s poverty experts had already embraced and defined the parameters of a sweeping welfare reform featuring proposals that promised to change the behavior of poor people while paying little more than rhetorical attention to the problems of low-wage work, rising income inequality, or structural economic change, and none at all to the steadily mounting political disenfranchisement of the postindustrial working class. Approaching the poverty problem within the narrow conceptual frame of individual failings rather than structural inequality, of cultural and skill “deficits” rather than the unequal distribution of power and wealth, the social scientific architects of President Clinton’s original, comparatively less punitive welfare reform proposal made “dependency” their principal target and then stood by helpless as congressional conservatives took their logic to its radical extreme. Their helplessness in the matter was not just a matter of “bad” politics laying “good” scientific knowledge to waste. It was also a failure of the knowledge itself." Introduction, Alice O'Connor: 'Poverty Knowledge' Amazon.com: Poverty Knowledge: Social Science, Social Policy, and the Poor in Twentieth-Century U.S. History (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America) (9780691102559): Alice O'Connor: Books

This is good too.

"For anyone born after 1945, the welfare state and its institutions were not a solution to earlier dilemmas: they were simply the normal conditions of life - and more than a little dull. The baby boomers, entering university in the mid sixties, had only ever known the world of improving life chances, generous medical and educational services, optimistic prospects of a upward social mobility and - perhaps above all - an indefinable but ubiquitous sense of security. The goals of an earlier generation of reformers were no longer of interest to their successors. On the contrary they were increasingly perceived as restrictions upon the self-expression and freedom of the individual." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land' Amazon.com: Ill Fares the Land (9781594202766): Tony Judt: Books

Food for thought....I especially take interest in Judt's analysis....sort of like the "Future Shock" of our social economics.

Poverty is a choice in the land of riches, they are expressing their freedom and anti materialism/corporatism you want forced on them.

You liberals have such a great track record on poverty. With LBJ's Great Society the number of black kids growing up without fathers skyrocketed. You destroyed more black families then the KKK could have ever dreamed of.

Bacatya Dune. I noticed you have no logical response, just an emotional outburst. How liberal of you. :)

A little tit for tat. I understand.

It is not that I don't have a response, it is just that I don't have time to properly respond to such a staggeringly ignorant statement.

A little tit for tat. I understand.

It is not that I don't have a response, it is just that I don't have time to properly respond to such a staggeringly ignorant statement.

Lame excuse from a guy who fixes crap on Cape Cod, in a shitty economy in the dead of winter. :)

Lame excuse from a guy who fixes crap on Cape Cod, in a shitty economy in the dead of winter. :)

Depending upon who you really are, you may know some of my customers, but I doubt it since, like I said earlier, most of Hollywood is very liberal. Just so you know, my operation is not limited to the Cape.

Depending upon who you really are, you may know some of my customers, but I doubt it since, like I said earlier, most of Hollywood is very liberal. Just so you know, my operation is not limited to the Cape.
No wonder you like elitism.

You liberals have such a great track record on poverty. With LBJ's Great Society the number of black kids growing up without fathers skyrocketed. You destroyed more black families then the KKK could have ever dreamed of.

Stick with engineering. You're knowledge of history is non-existent. The facts are more people excaped poverty, including white people, and entered the middle class at no other time in our history as they did during the LBJ "Great Society" years. That's a fact son.

Stick with engineering. You're knowledge of history is non-existent. The facts are more people excaped poverty, including white people, and entered the middle class at no other time in our history as they did during the LBJ "Great Society" years. That's a fact son.
Stick with being retarded.

Table24.jpg

Source: Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980, Charles Murray

Nice job liberals! You managed to destroy the black family better than the KKK could have dreamed of.

Back