Power outage in Florida

flaja

I just posted this in the conspiracies board as something of a joke, but now the news is reporting that 8 nuclear reactors at Turkey Point were down (3 still are) so maybe I should post it here.

It is just after 2pm EST on February 26, 2008. Right now 4.4 million homes in south Florida right now are without power. Draw a line from Tampa diagonally to the Atlantic (maybe to where Daytona is, the news map wasn’t clear) and just about everything south of that line is out. Some 35 counties are affected (when Florida only has 67).

Eight power plants are down- including some nuclear power plants, but the Feds say is was just a thunderstorm and not terrorism.

Since when does a routine late winter thunderstorm do as much damage as a hurricane?

LMAO...............

I just posted this in the conspiracies board as something of a joke, but now the news is reporting that 8 nuclear reactors at Turkey Point were down (3 still are) so maybe I should post it here.

It is just after 2pm EST on February 26, 2008. Right now 4.4 million homes in south Florida right now are without power. Draw a line from Tampa diagonally to the Atlantic (maybe to where Daytona is, the news map wasn’t clear) and just about everything south of that line is out. Some 35 counties are affected (when Florida only has 67).

Eight power plants are down- including some nuclear power plants, but the Feds say is was just a thunderstorm and not terrorism.

Since when does a routine late winter thunderstorm do as much damage as a hurricane?

Take a class in electrical impulse behavior...that should make you rest easy! or not...but hey conspiracies are fun topics...carry on!

Not true, no power outage here.

Take a class in electrical impulse behavior...that should make you rest easy! or not...but hey conspiracies are fun topics...carry on!

I understand how the country’s power grid is interconnected so one part of the country can sell surplus power to other parts of the country. But the outage in Florida is now said to have been caused when the nuclear reactors at Turkey Point went down. Even massive power outages don’t usually start at a nuke plant.

Not true, no power outage here.

Based on what Fox is now reporting the whole situation involves Florida Power and Light and FPL is now saying that the outage has been reduced to something like 300,000 homes. There are now rolling brownouts as FPL is trying to get the power plants back up and running.

Damn..............

I understand how the country’s power grid is interconnected so one part of the country can sell surplus power to other parts of the country. But the outage in Florida is now said to have been caused when the nuclear reactors at Turkey Point went down. Even massive power outages don’t usually start at a nuke plant.

Could have fooled me...what do I know...maybe ya should ask my brother..who is a electrical whiz...ask WC Grouch!
;)

Last edited:

:foil:you're right. Which is why it must be an act of God.

Demand exceeded supply. Better a blackout than eight nuclear meltdowns.

I can't decide if anything is added by this or not. ;) Certainly has been an increase in the 2000's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_outages

Consider all of the industrial accidents and refinery problems we’ve had since 9-11: is it just that with so many news outlets more of these things get reported, or has there been an increase in frequency. And if there has been an increase in frequency, who or what is behind the increase?

Demand exceeded supply. Better a blackout than eight nuclear meltdowns.

Why would demand exceed supply this time of year? There’s never much of a heating demand in south Florida and demand for air conditioning this time of year is much less than it is during the summer.

Consider all of the industrial accidents and refinery problems we’ve had since 9-11: is it just that with so many news outlets more of these things get reported, or has there been an increase in frequency. And if there has been an increase in frequency, who or what is behind the increase?

Decreased regualtion and safety oversight in favor of increased shortterm profits.

Back