Primary Care Physicians: Why they're fed up

Yes they deal one on one with the stupid of America.

I have never compalined to my DR about a wait or cancelled appt because of an emergency. I understand a bit of what they go thru.

Everything I do is centered around a pretty strict timetable. Work at school, work at church (I make sure not to make my sermons any longer than 35 minutes, most are around 30) and even at home. When I go to the doctor my schedule means nothing. I plan accordingly. I don't have to deal with what they deal with. I try to be understanding.

I do have a question that maybe some of you folks who are smarter than me can answer:

How is he making less than half of what he made 20 years ago?

From the article: "I am in my 22nd year in practice, now caring for 3,600 patients. Having me in the system has resulted in savings in the hundreds of thousands of dollars each and every year. My financial incentive to hang in there and work harder is that I now make less than half what I did 20 years ago. This year I will make even less."

I must also add that the sermon where I quoted Grind and BAC was a little longer than 35 minutes but nobody minded? :)

Last edited:
I noticed that, leaning, but I'm not sure how that lower income came about -- unless it has something to do with his now being a part of an HMO network that may pay less per patient than his prior (perhaps private billing?) arrangement. It would have been helpful had he elaborated on that. He originally wrote this for a physicians-only site, though, so he probably assumed that they would have understood and didn't need to explain further.

Everything I do is centered around a pretty strict timetable. Work at school, work at church (I make sure not to make my sermons any longer than 35 minutes, most are around 30) and even at home. When I go to the doctor my schedule means nothing. I plan accordingly. I don't have to deal with what they deal with. I try to be understanding.

I do have a question that maybe some of you folks who are smarter than me can answer:

How is he making less than half of what he made 20 years ago?

From the article: "I am in my 22nd year in practice, now caring for 3,600 patients. Having me in the system has resulted in savings in the hundreds of thousands of dollars each and every year. My financial incentive to hang in there and work harder is that I now make less than half what I did 20 years ago. This year I will make even less."

I must also add that the sermon where I quoted Grind and BAC was a little longer than 35 minutes but nobody minded? :)

AHHHHHH YOU ACTUALLY DID IT!!

I'M SO FREAKING COOL!

Right is often wrong.
And left is sometimes right.

When you come to a fork in the road, always take the most difficult path.

And above all never loan out your chain saw or wife. You do not want a rod thrown in either one.

Back