Question for Lawyers

Timshel

How do you find out about class action lawsuits that are pending?

My mom has been getting ripped off by verizon for a while now. She ordered the bundled service (directv, dsl and phone). It was supposed to be $99. But they have been billing her for the services seperately, strangely all on one bill. She has gone through it with them several times and they claim to straighten it out then do it all over again. I am guessing she's not the only one.

cue some idiot like ck claiming that libertarians want to allow such practices from corporations.

I'm not sure if this helps, and jarod or soc are more knoweldeble.

But, you might want to check your local County Bar Association website. Its a pretty useful organization for seeking legal assistance and information to the public. That's where I went to find a divorce attorney.

Dude, Fraud is just part of the free market.

Actually in Greenspans new book he talks about how we use our resources inefficiantly over regulating and the like when the real problems they should focus on is fraud.

I'm not a lawyer but:

1) Have her contact your state's attorney general's office. Most, if not all, have consumer protection divisions that deal with this type of thing. If others are experiencing similar problems with Verizon, the AG's office will know about it.

2) Have her write a letter to Verizon describing what they are doing and why it is wrong and demanding that the remedy the problem. Have her include the fact that Verizon has repeatedly failed to remedy the problem after promising to do so. Have her copy whoever she speaks to in the AG's office on the letter along with her local elected officials (state rep. and/or senator).

3) As far as I know, you will be contacted by the attorney bringing the class action suit if you are a prospective member of the class, but that will probably not happen until after the matter is settled and you have the opportunity to opt in or out of the class. The problem with relying on this sort of thing is that they take a long time to sort out and recovery is usually minimal.

Dude, Fraud is just part of the free market.

Actually in Greenspans new book he talks about how we use our resources inefficiantly over regulating and the like when the real problems they should focus on is fraud.

Litigation, IMHO, would just be too inneficient to use as a fraud fighting tool in all cases.

I'm not a lawyer but:

1) Have her contact your state's attorney general's office. Most, if not all, have consumer protection divisions that deal with this type of thing. If others are experiencing similar problems with Verizon, the AG's office will know about it.

2) Have her write a letter to Verizon describing what they are doing and why it is wrong and demanding that the remedy the problem. Have her include the fact that Verizon has repeatedly failed to remedy the problem after promising to do so. Have her copy whoever she speaks to in the AG's office on the letter along with her local elected officials (state rep. and/or senator).

3) As far as I know, you will be contacted by the attorney bringing the class action suit if you are a prospective member of the class, but that will probably not happen until after the matter is settled and you have the opportunity to opt in or out of the class. The problem with relying on this sort of thing is that they take a long time to sort out and recovery is usually minimal.

Also not a lawyer, but I agree with the above. I would also add in her letter to Verizon that if they do not remedy the situation that a grievance will be filed with the State BBB and AG.

Hey just to keep the pattern going I'm also not a lawyer but think i'll offer my opinion on a thread asking for lawyer's opinions :)

How do you find out about class action lawsuits that are pending?

My mom has been getting ripped off by verizon for a while now. She ordered the bundled service (directv, dsl and phone). It was supposed to be $99. But they have been billing her for the services seperately, strangely all on one bill. She has gone through it with them several times and they claim to straighten it out then do it all over again. I am guessing she's not the only one.

cue some idiot like ck claiming that libertarians want to allow such practices from corporations.

see what deregulation gets ya.

Have your Mom cancel her Verizon account...Buy a pre paid phone card and use only for emergencies...the whole industry of cellphones et al are a total rip-off!

bundling was enabled by deregulation and the PSC used to be our compaint spot.

So, if it were not for deregulation she could have been correctly billed for the three seperate services? Do you not understand how stupid that "solution" is?

Last edited:
So, if it were not for deregulation she could have been correctly billed for the three seperate services? Do you not understand how stupid that "solution" is?

all your eggs would not be in one basket.

Go with a CLEC if you want to. The proponents of dereg said it was to foster competition and choice....

bundling generally does not save much and sometimes saves nothing.

The bundling was her choice and it saved her over the services seperately. You are arguing that her dillemma would be solved by removing the option of bundling? Well, maybe because she would not have signed for the three services. That's a silly solution. It's like protecting yourself from an arm injury by cutting off your arm.

Really though your solution is half ass, usc. If she were billed for the services seperately there is no guarantee that she would not just receive three incorrect and inflated bills. The only "real" solution is a regulation that would not allow any of these services to be offered.

Back