Racism

midcan5

"But our collective indignation, no matter how loudly we announce it, cannot drown out the truth. And as much as white America may not be able to hear it (and as much as politics may require Obama to condemn it) let us be clear, Jeremiah Wright fundamentally told the truth."

Of National Lies and Racial America

By Tim Wise

"Whites are easily shocked by what we see and hear from Pastor Wright and Trinity Church, because what we see and hear so thoroughly challenges our understanding of who we are as a nation. But black people have never, for the most part, believed in the imagery of the "shining city on a hill," for they have never had the option of looking at their nation and ignoring the mountain-sized warts still dotting its face when it comes to race. Black people do not, in the main, get misty eyed at the sight of the flag the way white people do--and this is true even for millions of black veterans--for they understand that the nation for whom that flag waves is still not fully committed to their own equality. They have a harder time singing those tunes that white people seem so eager to belt out, like "God Bless America," for they know that whites sang those words loudly and proudly even as they were enforcing Jim Crow segregation, rioting against blacks who dared move into previously white neighborhoods, throwing rocks at Dr. King and then cheering, as so many did, when they heard the news that he had been assassinated.

Whites refuse to remember (or perhaps have never learned) that which black folks cannot afford to forget. I've seen white people stunned to the point of paralysis when they learn the truth about lynchings in this country--when they discover that such events were not just a couple of good old boys with a truck and a rope hauling some black guy out to the tree, hanging him, and letting him swing there. They were never told the truth: that lynchings were often community events, advertised in papers as "Negro Barbecues," involving hundreds or even thousands of whites, who would join in the fun, eat chicken salad and drink sweet tea, all while the black victims of their depravity were being hung, then shot, then burned, and then having their body parts cut off, to be handed out to onlookers. They are stunned to learn that postcards of the events were traded as souvenirs, and that very few whites, including members of their own families did or said anything to stop it."

http://www.counterpunch.org/wise03182008.html

""But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

Super, did you read the piece? and I have to say, so what? Are Catholics judged by pedophile priests or protestants by hate filled ministers who preach against gays?

McSame's minister is about as wacky as they get I hear nothing about him! why would that be I wonder????

Washington DC, Mar 1, 2008 / 03:43 am (CNA).- The endorsement of Senator John McCain by a Catholic-bashing Texas minister won swift rebuke from the president of the Catholic League and a Jewish leader concerned about his “vicious and inflammatory” anti-Catholicism.

Both compared the minister to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

On Wednesday Pastor John Hagee endorsed Senator John McCain’s bid to become the Republican presidential candidate in the 2008 election.

Senator McCain responded to the endorsement by calling Hagee “the staunchest leader of our Christian evangelical movement,” praising Hagee’s pro-Israel stance.

I have had black friends for many years. I have heard them talk of Aids as a weapon against them. I have discussed with them the ideas of why Jesus is always portrayed as a white man, MLKs assasination and the like.

I guess if you really talk to people these ideas are not so shocking. For people not to realize how many in the black community feel is shocking to me. Its just a non story.
Have you ever discussed the state of Isreal with jewish people. Have you never talked about how California was taken from Mexico with Mexican people?

What it really exposes is how many Americans dont seem to ever talk to people of color in any depth.

They all seem to be on the right too.

Super, did you read the piece? and I have to say, so what? Are Catholics judged by pedophile priests or protestants by hate filled ministers who preach against gays?

McSame's minister is about as wacky as they get I hear nothing about him! why would that be I wonder????

Washington DC, Mar 1, 2008 / 03:43 am (CNA).- The endorsement of Senator John McCain by a Catholic-bashing Texas minister won swift rebuke from the president of the Catholic League and a Jewish leader concerned about his “vicious and inflammatory” anti-Catholicism.

Both compared the minister to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

On Wednesday Pastor John Hagee endorsed Senator John McCain’s bid to become the Republican presidential candidate in the 2008 election.

Senator McCain responded to the endorsement by calling Hagee “the staunchest leader of our Christian evangelical movement,” praising Hagee’s pro-Israel stance.

Who is McCain's minister?

I have had black friends for many years. I have heard them talk of Aids as a weapon against them. I have discussed with them the ideas of why Jesus is always portrayed as a white man, MLKs assasination and the like.

I guess if you really talk to people these ideas are not so shocking. For people not to realize how many in the black community feel is shocking to me. Its just a non story.
Have you ever discussed the state of Isreal with jewish people. Have you never talked about how California was taken from Mexico with Mexican people?

What it really exposes is how many Americans dont seem to ever talk to people of color in any depth.

They all seem to be on the right too.

It you want to say those on the right don't waste their time on crazy conspiracy theories (not involving Vince Foster of course) then I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you Desh.

i.e. in denial about conspiracy theories. I know what she's saying.

It's not a conspiracy that america is run by rich white people. It's the truth. And most of them are brainwashed by zionists. Your worldview is based on a hieararchy of ignorance. There's so much of reality that must be disappeared down the memory hole for you to continue your pattern of abject stupidity.

It's not a conspiracy that america is run by rich white people. It's the truth. And most of them are brainwashed by zionists. Your worldview is based on a hieararchy of ignorance. There's so much of reality that must be disappeared down the memory hole for you to continue your pattern of abject stupidity.

Why am I am only stupid and not a facist? What did I do to you to not deserve to be called a facist anymore?

Why am I am only stupid and not a facist? What did I do to you to not deserve to be called a facist anymore?

The two are not mutually exclusive, and often go together. I often dole out the insults one at a time, so know any given insult is by no means a complete listing.

Damn you're a dumb, ignorant fascist. (happy pappy?)

The two are not mutually exclusive, and often go together. I often dole out the insults one at a time, so know any given insult is by no means a complete listing.

Damn you're a dumb, ignorant fascist. (happy pappy?)

Fair enough. To answer you question, yes. Thank you sir.

Back