Rahm can run

Cancel8

Canceled
A board of elections has ruled that former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel should be allowed on the February ballot for Chicago mayor.
The Chicago Board of Election Commissioners made its ruling Thursday after a hearing officer presided over days of testimony in residency challenges to Emanuel's candidacy.

The hearing officer recommended early Thursday that Emanuel be allowed to run for mayor. The board's decision is almost sure to be challenged in the courts.

Opponents say Emanuel shouldn't be on the ballot because he doesn't meet the one-year residency requirement. Until October, Emanuel worked for almost two years in Washington for President Barack Obama.

Emanuel contends he didn't forfeit his residency when he moved to Washington and always intended to return.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2010-12-23-rahm_N.htm

Does Illinois want to go through this game again?

Also, isn't that town the property of the Daley's? WTF do they have to say about all this?

Sec. 3.1-10-5. Qualifications; elective office.

(a) A person is not eligible for an elective municipal office unless that person is a qualified elector of the municipality and has resided in the municipality at least one year next preceding the election or appointment, except as provided in subsection (c) of Section 3.1-20-25, subsection (b) of Section 3.1-25-75, Section 5-2-2, or Section 5-2-11.

http://law.onecle.com/illinois/65ilcs5/3.1-10-5.html

not sure how they found rahm eligible...he wasn't active duty and his argument about intent to reside there is meaningless and he doesn't meet any of the exceptions...

from my reading of this, he doesn't seem eligible at all

Why was this such a controversy? Alan Keyes never even lived in Illinois (as far as I'm aware) when he ran against Obama in '04. While he received plenty of criticism for it, there was no question of whether he should be allowed to run.

Why was this such a controversy? Alan Keyes never even lived in Illinois (as far as I'm aware) when he ran against Obama in '04. While he received plenty of criticism for it, there was no question of whether he should be allowed to run.

apparently there are different laws for mayor and senators

Back