Heyzobo4u

Verified User
Login with Facebook to see what your friends are readingEnable Social Readingi

Luke JohnsonBecome a fan
luke.johnson@huffingtonpost.com

Rand Paul Filibusters John Brennan Nomination
Posted: 03/06/2013 12:25 pm EST | Updated: 03/06/2013 4:32 pm EST

GET POLITICS ALERTS:
FOLLOW: Video, Rand Paul Filibuster, Filiblizzard, John Brennan Cia, Paul Filibuster, Rand Paul Civil Liberties, Rand Paul John Brennan, Rand Paul John Brennan Filibuster, Politics News
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) announced on the Senate floor Wednesday he intended to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan as director of the CIA, citing concerns about President Barack Obama's policy on civil liberties.

"I will speak until I can no longer speak," Paul said.

Paul, an outspoken libertarian, pointed to what he called the abuses of executive power and civil liberties under Obama's administration. In particular, he objected to the contents of a letter he received from Attorney General Eric Holder that asserted the U.S. government had the legal authority to kill a U.S. citizen on American soil.

"Where is the Barack Obama of 2007?" he asked, referring to then-presidential candidate Obama's criticism of Bush-era violations of civil liberties. "If there were an ounce of courage in this body, I would be joined by many other senators," he added. "Are we going to give up our rights to politicians?"

Back