Reid Exempts States from Medicare Expansion to Advance Healthcare

meme

hope you libs like PAYING for states other than your own for free health care..:good4u:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Politico.com
Ben Nelson’s “Cornhusker Kickback,” as the GOP is calling it, got all the attention Saturday, but other senators lined up for deals as Majority Leader Harry Reid corralled the last few votes for a health reform package.

Nelson’s might be the most blatant – a deal carved out for a single state, a permanent exemption from the state share of Medicaid expansion for Nebraska, meaning federal taxpayers have to kick in an additional $45 million in the first decade.

But another Democratic holdout, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), took credit for $10 billion in new funding for community health centers, while denying it was a “sweetheart deal.” He was clearly more enthusiastic about a bill he said he couldn’t support just three days ago.

Nelson and Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) carved out an exemption for non-profit insurers in their states from a hefty excise tax. Similar insurers in the other 48 states will pay the tax.

Vermont and Massachusetts were given additional Medicaid funding, another plus for Sanders and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) Three states – Pennsylvania, New York and Florida – all won protections for their Medicare Advantage beneficiaries at a time when the program is facing cuts nationwide.

All of this came on top of a $300 million increase for Medicaid in Louisiana, designed to win the vote of Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu.

Under pressure from the White House to get a deal done by Christmas, Reid was unapologetic. He argued that, by definition, legislating means deal making and defended the special treatment for Nelson’s home state of Nebraska.

“You’ll find a number of states that are treated differently than other states. That’s what legislating is all about. It's compromise," he said.

Nelson forced Reid to redraft the bill’s restrictions on federal funding of abortion. And while most insiders were focused on that deal, Nelson was quietly ensuring that his state would never have to pay for the Medicaid expansion being written into the bill – an agreement that had been in the works for weeks.

Medicaid is usually paid for with a mix of federal and state funding, but Nelson's carve out means that any Medicaid beneficiaries who join the program under the bill will be fully paid for by the federal government.

http://www.newmediajournal.us/politics/12202009.htm

And the Colorado Senators are too stupid to have worked any deals for Colorado... Bennett deserves to lose his place-holding seat. Jane is going to make a fine Senator. I can't wait to watch Udall lose too...

I expected nothing less from the crooks.

hope you libs like PAYING for states other than your own for free health care..:good4u:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Politico.com
Ben Nelson’s “Cornhusker Kickback,” as the GOP is calling it, got all the attention Saturday, but other senators lined up for deals as Majority Leader Harry Reid corralled the last few votes for a health reform package.

Nelson’s might be the most blatant – a deal carved out for a single state, a permanent exemption from the state share of Medicaid expansion for Nebraska, meaning federal taxpayers have to kick in an additional $45 million in the first decade.

But another Democratic holdout, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), took credit for $10 billion in new funding for community health centers, while denying it was a “sweetheart deal.” He was clearly more enthusiastic about a bill he said he couldn’t support just three days ago.

Nelson and Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) carved out an exemption for non-profit insurers in their states from a hefty excise tax. Similar insurers in the other 48 states will pay the tax.

Vermont and Massachusetts were given additional Medicaid funding, another plus for Sanders and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) Three states – Pennsylvania, New York and Florida – all won protections for their Medicare Advantage beneficiaries at a time when the program is facing cuts nationwide.

All of this came on top of a $300 million increase for Medicaid in Louisiana, designed to win the vote of Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu.

Under pressure from the White House to get a deal done by Christmas, Reid was unapologetic. He argued that, by definition, legislating means deal making and defended the special treatment for Nelson’s home state of Nebraska.

“You’ll find a number of states that are treated differently than other states. That’s what legislating is all about. It's compromise," he said.

Nelson forced Reid to redraft the bill’s restrictions on federal funding of abortion. And while most insiders were focused on that deal, Nelson was quietly ensuring that his state would never have to pay for the Medicaid expansion being written into the bill – an agreement that had been in the works for weeks.

Medicaid is usually paid for with a mix of federal and state funding, but Nelson's carve out means that any Medicaid beneficiaries who join the program under the bill will be fully paid for by the federal government.

http://www.newmediajournal.us/politics/12202009.htm

So bribery is now an accepted means of "legislating"? It's amazing. These cretins are actually defending their corruption as if it should be viewed a badge of honor. Since when does the end (especially an end which, as currently designed, will cause more problems than it solves) justify the means?

I wonder what all these special deals for individual states does to the supposed zero-deficit aspect of health care reform. 10 billion paid out here, 46 billion not paid in there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money. As far as I am concerned if Nebraska is permanently excluded, then so should be Montana. And every other state for that matter. working that out as they try to merge the two versions should be fun (in a sad sort of way) to watch. Hopefully it'll end up in a bunch of "me, too" squabbling that will end up scuttling the whole deal.

Fortunately, it's far from over. Everyone who accepted the bribes should be put in prison.

So bribery is now an accepted means of "legislating"? It's amazing. These cretins are actually defending their corruption as if it should be viewed a badge of honor. Since when does the end (especially an end which, as currently designed, will cause more problems than it solves) justify the means?

I wonder what all these special deals for individual states does to the supposed zero-deficit aspect of health care reform. 10 billion paid out here, 46 billion not paid in there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money. As far as I am concerned if Nebraska is permanently excluded, then so should be Montana. And every other state for that matter. working that out as they try to merge the two versions should be fun (in a sad sort of way) to watch. Hopefully it'll end up in a bunch of "me, too" squabbling that will end up scuttling the whole deal.

Back