Reid: "Polygamy is a Form of Organized Crime"

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,390070,00.html

Sen. Reid Says Polygamy Is 'Form of Organized Crime'

WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid took a rare opportunity Thursday to switch roles and testify before his colleagues to blast polygamy, a still-used practice among some who practice the Mormon faith.

Reid, D-Nev., is Mormon himself and noted that while his church had cast off its polygamist past, some members continue the practice of men maintaining multiple wives.

"I felt that this was essential that I be here. The lawless conduct of polygamist communities in the United States deserves national attention and federal action," Reid told his colleagues on the Senate Judiciary Committee. "This hearing is an important milestone in the ongoing effort to curtail their pervasive criminal behavior."

Reid said he got to see how organized crime worked when he headed the Nevada gaming commission, and there are similarties between those mobsters and modern polygamists.

More at link...

Looks like the "War on Polygamy" is beginning....

Imagine that.... especially given that McCain's best chance to win is if he takes a Mormon on the ticket.... and just how many people are going to associate "Mormon" with "polygamy" and now "organized crime"????

How very convenient for the Dems to play this card now.

Imagine that.... especially given that McCain's best chance to win is if he takes a Mormon on the ticket.... and just how many people are going to associate "Mormon" with "polygamy" and now "organized crime"????

Reid is a Mormon too, isn't he? The perfect vessel, nobody can say it was because of anti-Mormonism... But still can put that out there.

Yes it is. A smart move for a change.

You may not like what happens in societies that practice polygamy, but how is it "organized crime"? Ridiculous fearmongering. Like Damo said, it's just another war the government is trying to scare us into.

Most of the Mormon churches that still practice it, though, are crazy, like the FLDS.

Married to two women at once.

to me that is a form of insanity anyway and they should be locked up for their own good.

I never quite understood why polygamy is illegal? We discussed this recently and no one came up with a good reason to make it illegal?

"Being the first wife means that everybody hates you and those other wives are just waiting for you to fall from your perch, silently praying every day that you do. They won’t take any steps themselves to be rid of you but they won’t cry if you do go. Nothing good is ever said about you and nobody will ever back you up. You know this and you don’t like it, but the worst part is how cheated you feel. You originally married one man, not a man and several other women. But you wouldn’t give your spot up for the world. In a strange, small sense you nurture your bitterness and hurt. Being the victim can be a sweet pain. He treats you with extreme care and buys you nice presents. You’re the first, you know you’re the benchmark, and in the end, he always comes back to you. You’re the queen bee: the rest are just wannabes.You sleep in the big bedroom, you make the shopping lists and you have control of the money. You have his ear and ultimately, the final word on everything.Well, almost everything."

http://www.eyeshot.net/zulkey1.html

Yeah. Whatever.

They obviously aren't legally married to two women at once so what's the fuss about?

I did not realize you were a morman.

they are functionally married to 2 at the same time though.
And that is illegal.

Perhaps another reason why marriages should just be legal unions and have nothing to do with religion at all.
Make it illegal for ministers and such to marry people.

I did not realize you were a morman.

Fuck you US. Anytime I disagree with one of your illogical proposals you say shit like this, you pig-brained coward.
they are functionally married to 2 at the same time though.

Not legally. The government doesn't have that right you fascist. If I want to date two women at the same time and their fine with that the government should go stick a dick up its ass.

And that is illegal.

It shouldn't be illegal you fascist, even fi it were, which I doubt you even know because you're such a dumbass who can't even defend his proposition logically without accusing people.

Perhaps another reason why marriages should just be legal unions and have nothing to do with religion at all.
Make it illegal for ministers and such to marry people.

That would be fascist. The government should have nothing to do with marriage.

I never quite understood why polygamy is illegal? We discussed this recently and no one came up with a good reason to make it illegal?

"Being the first wife means that everybody hates you and those other wives are just waiting for you to fall from your perch, silently praying every day that you do. They won’t take any steps themselves to be rid of you but they won’t cry if you do go. Nothing good is ever said about you and nobody will ever back you up. You know this and you don’t like it, but the worst part is how cheated you feel. You originally married one man, not a man and several other women. But you wouldn’t give your spot up for the world. In a strange, small sense you nurture your bitterness and hurt. Being the victim can be a sweet pain. He treats you with extreme care and buys you nice presents. You’re the first, you know you’re the benchmark, and in the end, he always comes back to you. You’re the queen bee: the rest are just wannabes.You sleep in the big bedroom, you make the shopping lists and you have control of the money. You have his ear and ultimately, the final word on everything.Well, almost everything."

http://www.eyeshot.net/zulkey1.html

That's a problem with a society, not with marrying more than one person.

WM if the govt should have nothing to do with marriage then why a tax difference for being married ?

And what should be and what is are often not the same things.

Bush should have his head nailed to a table for what he has done, but I do not expect it to happen.

Back