Report: Voter purges in 6 states may violate law

Socrtease

Verified User
NEW YORK - Tens of thousands of eligible voters have been removed from rolls or blocked from registering in at least six swing states, and the voters' exclusion appears to violate federal law, according to a published report.

The New York Times based its findings on reviews of state records and Social Security data.

The Times said voters appear to have been purged by mistake and not because of any intentional violations by election officials or coordinated efforts by any party.

States have been trying to follow the Help America Vote Act of 2002 by removing the names of voters who should no longer be listed. But for every voter added to the rolls in the past two months in some states, election officials have removed two, a review of the records shows.

The newspaper said it identified apparent problems in Colorado, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina. It says some states are improperly using Social Security data to verify new voters' registration applications, and others may have broken rules that govern removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election.

Democrats have been more aggressive at registering new voters this year, according to state election officials, so any closer screening of new applications may affect their party's supporters disproportionately, the Times said.

The result is that on Election Day, voters who have been removed from the rolls could show up and be challenged by political party officials or election workers.

The six states seem to have violated federal law in two ways. Some are removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election, which is not allowed except when voters die, notify the authorities that they have moved out of state, or have been declared unfit to vote.

And some of the states are improperly using Social Security data to verify registration applications for new voters, the newspaper reported.

"Just as voting machines were the major issue that came out of the 2000 presidential election and provisional ballots were the big issue from 2004, voter registration and these statewide lists will be the top concern this year," said Daniel P. Tokaji, a law professor at Ohio State University.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081009/ap_on_el_ge/voter_purges

The newspaper said it identified apparent problems in Colorado, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina. It says some states are improperly using Social Security data to verify new voters' registration applications, and others may have broken rules that govern removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election.

What do those states have in common? Anyone know whether only swing states were looked at or if only these states showed problems? For the above states to be the only states with these problems is well beyond coincidental.

Just like the selected firing of DOJ lawyers for not procecuting who the admin wanted harmed it is concerted.

What do those states have in common? Anyone know whether only swing states were looked at or if only these states showed problems? For the above states to be the only states with these problems is well beyond coincidental.
But the submission of false registrations in some of those same swing states is completely coincidental? Hmm ok.

But the submission of false registrations in some of those same swing states is completely coincidental? Hmm ok.

You're missing my point. Perhaps the NY Times only looked at swing states because those are the only states where this would matter (much like ACORN and similar organizations focus on swing state because they are the only states that matter). I imagine this to be the case, but the idea it is mere coincidence that of all 50 states the only ones with voter purge problems are six swing states is insane.

As an aside, tell me what is more sinister: kicking lawful voters off of voting rolls and thus actually depriving them of the right to vote or have false registrations for people that do no exist and that will never actually cast a ballot in any election ever?

Using celeb names is one thing but someone using ficticious or the same names as existing people and outfitting people with fraudulent ID's to vote is possible and can happen. My problem is that ACORN can be linked to Obama and I don't want there to be any doubts about this election. If ACORN can't take care of themselves then they need to be out of the voter registration gig.

Using celeb names is one thing but someone using ficticious or the same names as existing people and outfitting people with fraudulent ID's to vote is possible and can happen. My problem is that ACORN can be linked to Obama and I don't want there to be any doubts about this election. If ACORN can't take care of themselves then they need to be out of the voter registration gig.

Of course it can happen bit it is extremely unlikely and remote and there is scant evidence of it actually happening anywhere in any modern election ever.

I imagine any corporate structure that rewarded people for cheating without oversight would invite this kind of thing. Are there any other voter reg. companies that have a similar practice and have they had similar problems? My guess is ACORN has a uniquely stupid business structure and, therefore, has a lot of attention cast on it for the consequences of said practices.

ACORN has been politically targeted for this bullshit and if you notice the cases always erupt RIGHT before the election.

Two DOJ lawyers were fired for not procecuting them right before the last election.

They have registered 1.3 million legal voters in their history and they do it in poor and minority areas. They use local people as temps. They have hired tens of thousands of people and all this noise surrounds a few dozen of those people.

yeah I noticed that and wondered why PA was not in the list.

Back