Republican Dream Team

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
If you could pick your Republican Dream team to run in 2012, who would you want?

My first pick would be

Christine Todd Whittman/George Voinavich

My next pick;

Mitt Romney/Lindsey Graham.

I think we are going to ultimately nominate Sarah Palin, I know that sounds like a joke right now, and many liberals will laugh their asses off at the possibility, but a lot of shit can happen between now and the election of 2012. If it's not Palin, it will be someone completely off the radar right now.

I base this on the fact that Palin, thus far, has been the only politician on the republican side, to have any real traction with the base. Wherever she goes, literal droves of people show up to hear her speak. When you have that level of personal charisma, and you can articulate a popular message, it is a deadly political weapon, ergo Ronald Reagan.

Running mate? Jindal, Pawlenty? I have no idea, and it really won't matter.

I think we are going to ultimately nominate Sarah Palin, I know that sounds like a joke right now, and many liberals will laugh their asses off at the possibility, but a lot of shit can happen between now and the election of 2012. If it's not Palin, it will be someone completely off the radar right now.

I base this on the fact that Palin, thus far, has been the only politician on the republican side, to have any real traction with the base. Wherever she goes, literal droves of people show up to hear her speak. When you have that level of personal charisma, and you can articulate a popular message, it is a deadly political weapon, ergo Ronald Reagan.

LOL Yep, you're right Dixie, that is a joke LOL

I think Sarah needs to take an intermediate step to gain some much needed administrative experience. Like being elected the Governor of a State for example. :pke:

How many people constitute a "drove"?

How many people constitute a "drove"?

In most places, it's thousands when they expected hundreds. In some places, it's tens of thousands, when they expected thousands.

Her new book will undoubtedly debut as a #1 bestseller, that isn't done often.

THIS for a politician who was the LOSING VP candidate in the last election! Think about that!

In most places, it's thousands when they expected hundreds. In some places, it's tens of thousands, when they expected thousands.

THIS for a politician who was the LOSING VP candidate in the last election! Think about that!

You said earlier you thought Palin will be the nominee in 2012.

You really think she can get 50-60 million people to vote for her next time??

Yeah, sort of like Hillary Clinton, who didn't even get on the ballot. Amazing.

If you could pick your Republican Dream team to run in 2012, who would you want?

My first pick would be

Christine Todd Whittman/George Voinavich

My next pick;

Mitt Romney/Lindsey Graham.

These are both pretty shitty choices. Woah be it to America if any of them occupies the executive branch.

considering that nobody would have predicted McCain and Palin three years before 2008, I don't know why we should bother to speculate in 2009 who will be the candidates in 2012.....

I don't have any idea. I think she has the charisma to garner a great deal of support, and from what she has been saying in her speeches, etc., it seems to be the right message for conservative republicans. The 'establishment' republicans hate her, and have tried everything they know to derail her, along with the liberal lefties, of course. This will surely continue, but whether her charisma and message trump that with the voter, remains to be seen.

I'm not 'predicting' it will be Palin, I said, I don't know who it will be. But if I had to pick right now, she is about the only one I see making ANY electricity with the base. There are some others, but smaller names, less familiar faces... I just see her as the current front runner, and that could certainly change between now and 2012.

Gary Johnson is right on the issues, but I have yet to see an interview or speech of his where I felt he was solid Presidential material.

That said, someone has to take the banner in 2012, and I'd much rather it be someone with a record like his.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_E._Johnson

You actually aren't talking about anything near that number to win a major party's nomination.

Clinton garnered the most primary votes in American electoral history in '08 with just over 18 million. McCain raked up almost 9.5 million on his way to becoming the Republican standard bearer.

Even in a hotly contested Republican field, you're looking at 14-15 million tops to seize the nomination.

I have to say, though, I tend to agree with Prophet. Case in point, President Clinton; Hillary Clinton, that is.

The week following the 2006 midterm election, the media summarily crowned Clinton the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee. Though they diligently covered Obama's campaign announcement in February, 2007, it was treated primarily as a novelty.

While his candidacy had historical and emotional resonance, Obama's odds were better of winning the multi-state Powerball lottery than breaking out of the pack of the Democratic "Seven Dwarfs" to even begin to consider seriously challenging the media-anointed Hillary.

In the summer of 2007, Rudy was the presumptive Republican nominee, who would ultimately serve as the sacrificial lamb on Hillary's inexorable march to the Oval Office and the history books. Not till Obama successfully repelled Clinton's dogged, but ham-handed Super Tuesday counteroffensive did the media begin to grasp the force of the undercurrent that was swirling beneath the surface of the political waters and the possibility that they had jumped the gun.

Now here we are 367 days after the day Hillary was supposed to enter the history books as America's first female president and she's working for one of the "Seven Dwarfs" the vaunted Clinton political juggernaut was supposed to easily make mince meat out of.

So much for inevitability and long range political prognostication.

No, the record of early front runners, particularly more than two years out, is abysmally dismal. And that's not just Monkey Business, mind you.

Dixie,

Palin has some incredible innate political skills; she is, as the saying goes, truly a natural. However, she desperately needs to augment her skills with substance and a demonstrable command of critical policy areas.

She connects with the people and can easily relate to them and their lives. I often hear people say she reminds them of someone from their church or the PTA. That's great and it's an incredible political asset. However, I personally don't know of anyone in my local churches or at the PTA I'd trust with the presidency of the United States.

Before I'm labeled a Palin-basher, let me be clear that I've been an ardent supporter of her. I've written glowingly about her skills and sincerity and how she electrified a Conservative base that was essentially out of the game till she was added to the McCain team.

That being said, though, I wholeheartedly believe she needs to do serious work to master issues such as national security, geopolitics, diplomacy and fiscal/budgetary policy. I likewise believe, that given the time and effort, she can do it.

Moreover, if she does, she will become a truly imposing political juggernaut in her own right. Democrats and Liberals loath her now for her candor, integrity and genuineness. If she takes the time to augment that with a strong intellectual foundation and a depth of policy knowledge, they will not only loathe her, they will truly fear her.

Dixie,

Palin has some incredible innate political skills; she is, as the saying goes, truly a natural. However, she desperately needs to augment her skills with substance and a demonstrable command of critical policy areas.

She connects with the people and can easily relate to them and their lives. I often hear people say she reminds them of someone from their church or the PTA. That's great and it's an incredible political asset. However, I personally don't know of anyone in my local churches or at the PTA I'd trust with the presidency of the United States.

Before I'm labeled a Palin-basher, let me be clear that I've been an ardent supporter of her. I've written glowingly about her skills and sincerity and how she electrified a Conservative base that was essentially out of the game till she was added to the McCain team.

That being said, though, I wholeheartedly believe she needs to do serious work to master issues such as national security, geopolitics, diplomacy and fiscal/budgetary policy. I likewise believe, that given the time and effort, she can do it.

Moreover, if she does, she will become a truly imposing political juggernaut in her own right. Democrats and Liberals loath her now for her candor, integrity and genuineness. If she takes the time to augment that with a strong intellectual foundation and a depth of policy knowledge, they will not only loathe her, they will truly fear her.

"A strong intellectual foundation and a depth of policy knowledge"..........................................that'll be the day.

considering that nobody would have predicted McCain and Palin three years before 2008, I don't know why we should bother to speculate in 2009 who will be the candidates in 2012.....
Are you kidding me? Were you overseas or under a rock from 2005 to 2008? I can't speak for Palin but just about everyone but the far right wing loonies considered John McCain the heir apparent for the Republican nomination for 2008. Where were you? LOL

Back