Rest in peace, William F. Buckley

Onceler

I'm probably in a minority of libs on this, but I had a lot of respect for that guy. He was the only conservative who ever made much sense to me.

Conservatives lost one of their last calm, intelligent voices...

He was intelligent. As I said in the current events board, I hope he does not get the same sort of obits he gave.

Last edited:
I didn't know anything about the obits, and I should have included a disclaimer that I rarely if ever actually agreed with the guy, but he represented a kind of discourse that I'd love to see in politics again. He was one of the few conservatives who I could listen to & say, okay, I see what he's trying to say, even though I don't agree with it (as opposed to the "how f'in stupid" reaction that most current conservative voices tend to elicit from me).

The conservative side is being inundated & drowned out by the Coulters & Malkins & Limbaughs at this point. There really isn't anyone out there who pursues reasonable, rational debate with the left, anymore.....

I didn't know anything about the obits, and I should have included a disclaimer that I rarely if ever actually agreed with the guy, but he represented a kind of discourse that I'd love to see in politics again. He was one of the few conservatives who I could listen to & say, okay, I see what he's trying to say, even though I don't agree with it (as opposed to the "how f'in stupid" reaction that most current conservative voices tend to elicit from me).

The conservative side is being inundated & drowned out by the Coulters & Malkins & Limbaughs at this point. There really isn't anyone out there who pursues reasonable, rational debate with the left, anymore.....

I get what you're saying. Those people have really lowered the bar. They are lacking actual humanity.

LoL World's Worst Compliment, I suppose.

But Buckley, despite his many faults, was one of the few people who could accurately be termed a "conservative intellectual".

I guess he didn't scream and yell, like most pundits.

Honestly, I don't care that much about Buckley, or know much about him.

George F Will is still pretty good. Though I hate the guy, Kristol is not so bad either.

Will's alright. Kristol tries for the same tone & he does keep the discourse civil, but unfortunately, he's stupid. That's the big differentiator w/ Buckley, who was as smart as they come...

I remember one thread I was praising George Will.

Then Dano comes in, agrees with me, and posts some of the most idiotic shit the man has ever said, and I just said "Oh shit, thanks Dano, I can't support him anymore".

Yeah I hate Kristol too but I honestly think he's pretty smart.

Buckley was unquestionably more thoughtful, but for a modern opinion leader Kristol is surprisingly sharp.

Kristol has the added perk of being able to tell you anything interesting that will be happening in conservative politics two weeks in advance.

Harriet Miers withdrawal, Mitt Romney's "sidelining".

The man is a veritable fountain of not-yet-disclosed secrets.

Yeah I hate Kristol too but I honestly think he's pretty smart.

Buckley was unquestionably more thoughtful, but for a modern opinion leader Kristol is surprisingly sharp.

Buckley was a brilliant warmonger. He's what I call the apathetic national security right. At least they're rational, though, unlike the religious right. It's the difference between conservatives stationed in New York and conservatives stationed in Mississippi. Hell, even the liberals down here suck to me.

Buckley was a brilliant warmonger. He's what I call the apathetic national security right. At least they're rational, though, unlike the religious right. It's the difference between conservatives stationed in New York and conservatives stationed in Mississippi. Hell, even the liberals down here suck to me.
He wasn't a war monger and actually came to oppose the war.

The Rockefeller republicans aren't more rational, they're more fascist internationalist. They equate populism with communism or whatever emotive word they can use to throw at people think individuals and not corporations have rights.

The Rockefeller republicans aren't more rational, they're more fascist internationalist. They equate populism with communism or whatever emotive word they can use to throw at people think individuals and not corporations have rights.

Populism isn't communism, but it has still succeeded at making America a vastly worse place to live. The experiment in republicanism and the republican world view were both killed by idiot populists in the 19th Century, and led eventually to disunion and Civil War.

Populism isn't communism, but it has still succeeded at making America a vastly worse place to live. The experiment in republicanism and the republican world view were both killed by idiot populists in the 19th Century, and led eventually to disunion and Civil War.

They just act like it's communism.

Disunion is unavoidable. Unity is for fascists.

Back