Richard Dawkins vs. Issac Newton

Cypress

In today's matchup, I pit a premminent biologist against a premminent physicist.

Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator, God, almost certainly does not exist, and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's statement in Lila (1991) that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. He explains that one does not need religion to be moral and that the roots of religion and of morality can be explained in non-religious terms.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

Isaac Newton’s life was one long search for God. From physics and alchemy to theology and eschatology, Isaac Newton’s research was rooted in a personal pursuit of the Divine. His appetite for learning far transcended what we would nowadays call science. He devoted a larger amount of time to studies in alchemy and theology than physics. Newton saw the Universe as a manifestation of the infinite power of God, and science was a portal into God's mind.
https://bigthink.com/13-8/isaac-newton-search-god/

In today's matchup, I pit a premminent biologist against a premminent physicist.

Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator, God, almost certainly does not exist, and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's statement in Lila (1991) that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. He explains that one does not need religion to be moral and that the roots of religion and of morality can be explained in non-religious terms.

Isaac Newton’s life was one long search for God. From physics and alchemy to theology and eschatology, Isaac Newton’s research was rooted in a personal pursuit of the Divine. His appetite for learning far transcended what we would nowadays call science. He devoted a larger amount of time to studies in alchemy and theology than physics. Newton saw the Universe as a manifestation of the infinite power of God, and science was a portal into God's mind.

Newton was an authoritarian. Today, he would probably be a Trump supporter.

Newton was an authoritarian. Today, he would probably be a Trump supporter.

Newton, Galileo, Beethoven, and many other scientists and artists had offensive personalities.

I prefer to think of Newton not as the first great modern physicist, but as the last great mystic. The guy was obsessed with alchemy and astrology.

Newton, Galileo, Beethoven, and many other scientists and artists had offensive personalities.

I prefer to think of Newton not as the first great modern physicist, but the last great mystic. The guy was obsessed with alchemy and astrology.

Newton thought of God as creating the rules, or codes, for the physical universe. The idea that understanding the universe is to understand God is an idea few actually take seriously today.

Newton thought of God as creating the rules, or codes, for the physical universe. The idea that understanding the universe is to understand God is an idea few actually take seriously today.

That kind of natural philosophy came straight out of Medieval Christianity, and probably prevailed in scientific investigation until the 19th century.

A nice myth, but vacant of truth. Descartes said God guarantees the truths of geometry.
Decartes was 17th century.

My post said 19th century.

Natural philosophy extends back into the middle ages, particularly with the reintroduction of Aristotle in the west.

Last edited:

IMO Newton's life was the richer for his explorations. But how did they affect his science, his hypotheses and his conclusions?

Dawkins had the advantage of generations of scientific knowledge that Newton didn’t have access to

I would like to think Newton would have accepted that vast tranche of knowledge and settled on the fact that there are no gods or monsters

He did respect the existing knowledge of his time

IMO Newton's life was the richer for his explorations. But how did they affect his science, his hypotheses and his conclusions?

I believe he thought of his physics as a glimpse of the divine, but Newtonian mechanics obviously work regardless of anyone's views on the divine.

The fact that the universe was found to be mathematically ordered, and it obeyed Universal first principles, at the time, was seen as divinely inspired.

Newton was always clear that his physical laws could explain how things worked, not why they worked.

His laws initially received a lot of criticism, because they invoked a mysterious force which seemed to act over vast, cosmic distances, aka "action at a distance". Newton could not explain the nature of that force and it struck people as almost occult. The math was solid, but it did not explain what gravity was, or why it worked.

Dawkins had the advantage of generations of scientific knowledge that Newton didn’t have access to

I would like to think Newton would have accepted that vast tranche of knowledge and settled on the fact that there are no gods or monsters

He did respect the existing knowledge of his time

I think they were both thinking both thinking about reality in the wrong way.

Newton's Christianity led him to keep pursuing things that the scientist in him should have written off, aka his obsession with nonsense like alchemy, astrology, eschatology

Dawkins has the arrogance of hubris that all knowledge of reality, in it's entirety, can be derived by analytical reason, and scientific experimentation.

In Newton’s time it was not clear those practices were not based in proof

He was seeking proof of their validity

You have to remember the state of known facts at the time

If there is a god or a monster that actually exists it will have a scientific reality that it exists in

Existence has perimeters

If a god exists it will exist in some perimeters

Belief is fine

It’s faith

That means you merely have to have FAITH it exists and it will show you the perimeters later

AFTER DEATH

Then you will see the perimeters in which it exists

That effectively means you can never in your life find the perimeters

That’s a con mans answer

In Newton’s time it was not clear those practices were not based in proof

He was seeking proof of their validity

You have to remember the state of known facts at the time

If there is a god or a monster that actually exists it will have a scientific reality that it exists in

Existence has perimeters

If a god exists it will exist in some perimeters

Belief is fine

It’s faith

That means you merely have to have FAITH it exists and it will show you the perimeters later

AFTER DEATH

Then you will see the perimeters in which it exists

That effectively means you can never in your life find the perimeters

That’s a con mans answer

I think you're right about Newton.

I do not agree that everything can and should be proven by scientific experiment.

Here are some things that can never be proven or quantified by reason or scientific experimentation.

Mercy
Charity
Art
Consciousness
Love
Justice
Compassion
Virtue
Courage
Humility
Temperance
Imagination
Creativity
Conscience
Music.

Newton believed that God literally organized the universe by mathematical laws. Laws of Moses, Laws of physics. Same thing. Where we get a lot of bad idea about the universe being a mechanism.

Had Isaac Newton said what Dawkins said he would have been hanged. That might provide some insight.

I think you're right about Newton.

I do not agree that everything can and should be proven by scientific experiment.

Here are some things that can never be proven or quantified by reason or scientific experimentation.

Mercy
Charity
Art
Consciousness
Love
Justice
Compassion
Virtue
Courage
Humility
Temperance
Imagination