Roe v. Wade is on the ballot in November

Onceler

This election is a HUGE one for the Court. Roe is the most high-profile case that could be overturned, but there are a variety of other issues that could see fairly significant changes in direction.

Stevens is 88; Ginsburg, Breyer & Kennedy are all in their 70's. If McCain wins, it could potentially load the Court with conservative judges for decades, with no balance at all; we've all gotten so used to 5-4 decisions on key issues over the past decade or 2; it's going to be a lot more lopsided w/ a McCain court.

People keep saying it "can't happen," but Roe is going down if McCain wins, period. Still, most states would likely keep abortion legal, but it would still be a huge setback for women's rights (and something I hope some Hillary supporters will keep in mind before they cast their protest votes for McCain).

as long as democrats hold a majority in the senate, no 'far right' justices are going to be picked. Even then, no matter who mccain would pick or the senate confirm, i'd still be a better supreme court justice.

Well, what is interesting is – and I was just thinking about this earlier today – every Republican President we have had recently, has turned back the clock on women’s reproductive rights, and now we are one vote away. Of course, Cawacko will tell us “Roe v wade” won’t be overturned. Which I hear as “don’t you worry your pretty little head about it, let us menfolk do the thinking on this one.”

What I am waiting for is what we have gotten with both Bush’s. And, I love this. I am waiting to be informed that “though John McCain has stated he will appoint anti-choice judges and has taken moves to reassure the religious right that he will do as they want, his wife, Cindy, is said to be more sympathetic to the pro-choice argument.”

Just what I need, another con wife’s “sympathies”. Women were told, reassuringly, that Barbara bush was outright pro-choice. Women were told, reassuringly, that Laura Bush was ‘more sympathetic to their views on abortion” than her husband was.

If I hear that one more time, I would like to take pro-choice women who are voting Republican by the shoulders, and shake them. Did Barbara Bush appoint judges to the Supreme court? How about Laura? Why don’t you wake up dummy? You’re being had. And they’re laughing at you.

as long as democrats hold a majority in the senate, no 'far right' justices are going to be picked. Even then, no matter who mccain would pick or the senate confirm, i'd still be a better supreme court justice.

Yeah, and we’re guaranteed a Democratic majority in the Senate for as long as there is a Republican in the white house right? And we’re guaranteed that the Democrats won’t get out-maneuvered again even if they hold that majority, right?
In both cases, the answer is, No.

Well, what is interesting is – and I was just thinking about this earlier today – every Republican President we have had recently, has turned back the clock on women’s reproductive rights, and now we are one vote away. Of course, Cawacko will tell us “Roe v wade” won’t be overturned. Which I hear as “don’t you worry your pretty little head about it, let us menfolk do the thinking on this one.”

What I am waiting for is what we have gotten with both Bush’s. And, I love this. I am waiting to be informed that “though John McCain has stated he will appoint anti-choice judges and has taken moves to reassure the religious right that he will do as they want, his wife, Cindy, is said to be more sympathetic to the pro-choice argument.”

Just what I need, another con wife’s “sympathies”. Women were told, reassuringly, that Barbara bush was outright pro-choice. Women were told, reassuringly, that Laura Bush was ‘more sympathetic to their views on abortion” than her husband was.

If I hear that one more time, I would like to take pro-choice women who are voting Republican by the shoulders, and shake them. Did Barbara Bush appoint judges to the Supreme court? How about Laura? Why don’t you wake up dummy? You’re being had. And they’re laughing at you.

Bush Sr. also appointed David Souter who sides with the pro-choice group. It's interesting that many in the religious right are talking about sitting out this election due to their disappointment in McCain being the nominee yet as was stated it could be a very big election as far as Supreme Court justices go.

Back