Romney a conservative ?

this article doesn't really state that he isn't a conservative, rather it states that romney wasn't as effective as he suggests.

He "was" pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, NOT a Reagan Bush republican, until NOW. The guy makes Kerry look like a solid stay the course kinda guy.

He "was" pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, NOT a Reagan Bush republican, until NOW. The guy makes Kerry look like a solid stay the course kinda guy.

I am inclined to agree. In fact, one thing many Romneyites have argued, is that Reagan changed his position on many issues, like abortion. The problem is, Reagan changed very gradually over years. He was a very different man in 1980 than he was in 1964 (i.e. he was not Goldwater, he was merely inspired by Goldwater to rethink his views).

There is a candidate who has changed his positions over long periods of time, like Reagan, and can so be seen as a politician who evolved rather than flip-flopped, and that is clearly McCain. The only thing major he has changed on in recent years is the tax cuts. He opposed them because they did not include spending cuts, but voted to extend them because he felt that without spending cuts they would be completely worthless and so can claim to have changed his mind after seeing them play out over 6 or so years. Obviously, he will similarly not be reviewing campaign finance reform after having seen his bill fail so miserably (granted, he should oppose such bills on constitutional principle regardless).

I am inclined to agree. In fact, one thing many Romneyites have argued, is that Reagan changed his position on many issues, like abortion. The problem is, Reagan changed very gradually over years. He was a very different man in 1980 than he was in 1964 (i.e. he was not Goldwater, he was merely inspired by Goldwater to rethink his views).

There is a candidate who has changed his positions over long periods of time, like Reagan, and can so be seen as a politician who evolved rather than flip-flopped, and that is clearly McCain. The only thing major he has changed on in recent years is the tax cuts. He opposed them because they did not include spending cuts, but voted to extend them because he felt that without spending cuts they would be completely worthless and so can claim to have changed his mind after seeing them play out over 6 or so years. Obviously, he will similarly not be reviewing campaign finance reform after having seen his bill fail so miserably (granted, he should oppose such bills on constitutional principle regardless).

I really respect Romney's success in the business world. On a political front his recent change of positions really screams out political opportunism imo. I agree with how you describe Reagan and his changes which came over time, not an election year switch.

Back