S.F. school board OKs new gay support program

cawacko

So the SF school district is facing a $113 million shortfall yet votes for this new expensive program to support gays and lesbians. They claim that 13% of kids in middle school say they are gay, lesbian or transgender. WTF? How the hell do kids know at that age? I sure as hell wasn't getting any ass in the 7th grade.

Our education system is going to hell and this is what money is being spent on. Unbelievable. Besides gay and lesbian issues the other hot button for our progressive school board is not sending kids to schools in their neighborhood, no, its busing kids all over the City trying to get an acceptable racial mix in each school. And then they wonder why families leave San Francisco.

S.F. school board OKs new gay support program

The San Francisco school board added to the district's massive $113 million shortfall over the next two years by voting Tuesday night to fund a substantial increase in instruction and services related to gay and lesbian issues.

Though the district is facing layoffs and significant program cuts, board members unanimously agreed that the estimated $120,000 annual price tag was worth it to support gay and lesbian students - children who are more likely to experience bullying and skip school because they are afraid.

The resolution calls for adding a district position to manage "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning" youth issues. It also requires the district to keep tabs on harassment and discrimination based on sexual orientation and distribute educational packets every year to parents encouraging them to discuss sexuality, gender identity and safety with their children.

The measure, sponsored by the city's Youth Commission and Human Rights Commission and the district's Student Advisory Council, requires district staff to seek outside funding to cover the costs, but guarantees at least a half-time position and other services regardless.

About 13 percent of San Francisco's middle school students and 11 percent of high school students self-identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, according to a district survey.

Despite San Francisco's reputation as a gay-friendly city, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students more frequently experience harassment and are more likely to consider suicide, district officials said during the meeting.

In addition, 43 percent of those middle schools students - 430 children - said they didn't go to school because they didn't feel safe compared with 11 percent of heterosexual students.

"It's the data that's driving my decision," said board member Norman Yee, his voice filling with emotion as he wiped away tears.

More than two dozen students, teachers and parents lined up to urge the board to fund the measure - enough money to cover the salaries of two classroom teachers.

The unanimous support among the public speakers stood in stark contrast to the public outcry in Alameda last year over a proposed - and ultimately approved - 45-minute annual lesson on gay and lesbian topics.

The San Francisco students said homophobic graffiti is not uncommon on school property and that their friends have been beaten up for being gay.

Jimmy Zhang, a senior at Thurgood Marshall Academic High School, said coming out as gay at school hasn't been easy.

"I feel uncomfortable and sometimes unmotivated to attend school," he said. "The truth is there needs to be more understanding at my school."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/10/BAGL1BV49N.DTL

adding a position, a political payoff in the gay/lesbian politics. LOL now watch out this movement is for real.

adding a position, a political payoff in the gay/lesbian politics. LOL now watch out this movement is for real.

I went to a public middle school and I know I didn't take any type of sex ed classes or anything like that. Maybe kids are far more advanced today and I'm just old. And although bullying happens at every school I'm not trying to suggest I support it against anyone, including gay kids. It's just here a lot of school board time gets spent on sexual issues. Who gives a sh*t? If you are gay or straight you still need to learn to read, do math, science etc.

San Francisco is in a world of its own.

Gavin Nuisance thinks this is some way to further his future political agenda, although you would have thought he learned after pulling out of the run for governor.

At least he's smart enough to realize 80% of California won't put up with his crapola.

WTF? How the hell do kids know at that age?....

For real? You didn't know if you were gay or straight? Cawacko, I totally knew I was obsessed with heterosexual sex in the 8th grade, even though I wasn't getting laid. 99% of my brain power was devoted to thinking about sex with girls, and the other 1% was devoted to academics, pot, and football.

Our education system is going to hell and this is what money is being spent on. Unbelievable. Besides gay and lesbian issues the other hot button for our progressive school board is not sending kids to schools in their neighborhood, no, its busing kids all over the City trying to get an acceptable racial mix in each school. And then they wonder why families leave San Francisco.

Man, I love a city that boots out militaristic programs like the ROTC and focuses on anti-discrimination programs and equality for all. Liberal paradise, bro'!

Cawacko, as for me personally, there are some things you can't put a price tag on. It's not possible to always be a black-hearted conservative*, and boil everything down to dollars and pennies. I don't know all the details of what went down on this vote, and based on one short newspaper article no one else here does either. But to me, the safety and welfare of children take priority over accounting issues. Maybe they can chop money from other bullshit they don't need, like creation science classes.

If there was a school were black kids were routinely being taunted, beat up, and called "n*gger!", I would personally want the school to devote resources to knocking that sh*t down.

*totally kidding

Last edited:
For real? You didn't know if you were gay or straight? Cawacko, I totally knew I was obsessed with heterosexual sex in the 8th grade, even though I wasn't getting laid. 99% of my brain power was devoted to thinking about sex with girls, and the other 1% was devoted to academics, pot, and football.

Man, I love a city that boots out militaristic programs like the ROTC and focuses on anti-discrimination programs and equality for all. Liberal paradise, bro'!

Cawacko, as for me personally, there are some things you can't put a price tag on. It's not possible to always be a black-hearted conservative*, and boil everything down to dollars and pennies. I don't know all the details of what went down on this vote, and based on one short newspaper article no one else here does either. But to me, the safety and welfare of children take priority over accounting issues. Maybe they can chop money from other bullshit they don't need, like creation science classes.

If there was a school were black kids were routinely being taunted, beat up, and called "n*gger!", I would personally want the school to devote resources to knocking that sh*t down.

*totally kidding

Sooooo....you ARE a female, huh....I'll make a note to be more respectful in the future....you should have told us sooner...

How is it possible that in SF they need such a support group?

I might see a need for it in, say, Red Stick, LA.... but in SF?

it's false outrage gone wild and a political payoff.
I agree with Cypress totally except that if Cali and San Fran had huge surpluses to pay for it. They don't, and this shouldn't take precident over normal stuff which is being gutted like a fish.

Even though kids get harassed at every school for many different reasons we obviously don't want it to happen. But one of the board members crying when this passed?

Kids shouldn't be harassed. But while they are cutting teachers and programs they have money for this? And yes as Damo mentioned they already have support groups in schools for gay kids.

A lot of weak people will hate on this. But I taught my kids to fight at a young age. I can remember them barely taller than the sofa and punching the pillows. Bullying stopped in a week. Lot's of homes without dads don't have this option. I always told them NEVER start but FINISH. And if they saw a kid getting picked on they should come to the kids defense.

A lot of weak people will hate on this. But I taught my kids to fight at a young age. I can remember them barely taller than the sofa and punching the pillows. Bullying stopped in a week. Lot's of homes without dads don't have this option. I always told them NEVER start but FINISH. And if they saw a kid getting picked on they should come to the kids defense.

I'm not into fighting but there is definitely something to be said for that. It is the quickest way to get a bully to stop picking on you.

Even though kids get harassed at every school for many different reasons we obviously don't want it to happen. But one of the board members crying when this passed?

Kids shouldn't be harassed. But while they are cutting teachers and programs they have money for this? And yes as Damo mentioned they already have support groups in schools for gay kids.

Okay, I'll defer to your and Damo's expertise on the san francisco public school system. I really don't know crap about it!

Yo man, I'm down with shoving a bully's head in the freaking toilet.

But for real, surely you jest. Have you ever seen a fancy-dancer try to fight? It's not a plausible solution. Those kids are into Ballet and Bette Midler. *

*totally kidding

Okay, I'll defer to your and Damo's expertise on the san francisco public school system. I really don't know crap about it!

I can't claim to be an expert but I do read the local paper everyday so I get to follow what goes on and do have a few friends who have kids in the SF public schools so I hear about the issues from them. And I also hear from friends who choose to move out of the City who don't want to send their kids to public schools here.

They do have gay and lesbian support groups in the public schools here. If this were new that might be one thing. What they are doing in the article is adding to it.

I can't claim to be an expert but I do read the local paper everyday so I get to follow what goes on and do have a few friends who have kids in the SF public schools so I hear about the issues from them. And I also hear from friends who choose to move out of the City who don't want to send their kids to public schools here.

They do have gay and lesbian support groups in the public schools here. If this were new that might be one thing. What they are doing in the article is adding to it.

Fair enough, I don't know enough about SF public schools to be able to intelligently say whether they need more resources to address discrimination and bullying.

You know what I think though? In principle, this would be a better use of money, than the vast waste of money I saw at public high schools in Texas. Dude, some of those schools have multi-million dollar football stadiums. I mean, like 15,000 seat monstrosities. It was unbelievable, those high school stadiums were larger, better, and more high-tech than the piece of crap stadium my campus at University of California had. Not to mention trying to promote and teach creation science is a load of horseshit that is an outright embarrassment to a developed nation.

But hey man, I guess football is kind of a religion in Jesusland. So, no worries, its their money!

Word on the texas high school football stadiums.
I saw it first hand also. We went to Arlington for a high School wrestling tournament.
Their football stadium looked like it could hold 50,000. The wrestling event was in an Auditorium as nice as anything LSU had.
In Texas high school football is religion.

Back