Second green party state legislator ever elected in the US - from Arkansas?

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
My question is, why did no major parties oppose him? He got 100% of the vote, of course, but it's bizarre for neither major party to challenge something as high up as a state legislator's seat. I can't imagine a Green party candidate who'd never won office before being considered such a shoe-in nobody wanted to run against him.

http://www.greenpartywatch.org/2008/11/13/richard-carroll-sticking-with-the-green-party/

This piece in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette about the new State Legislature mentions Richard Carroll, the newly elected Green Party member to the State Legislature, and his future political affiliation:

Harrelson said Rep.-elect Richard Carroll, a Green Party member from North Little Rock, caucused with the Democrats.

“We’ve asked him if he wants to be a member of the Democratic Party, and he said that he felt obligated to the Green Party,” said Harrelson.

“I think his feelings may change because, of course, we’ll seek a Democratic candidate for House District 39 in two years if he is still a Green Party candidate, so we are going to talk him into changing parties,” Harrelson said.

Carroll said he wants to concentrate on working on legislation for next year’s session now rather than deciding whether to run as a Democrat or Green in 2010.

Carroll drew No. 90 for seniority.

Carroll decided to serve on the House Public Transportation Committee and the House Aging, Children and Youth, Legislative and Military Affairs Committee.

What I find ironic about this is that the Democrats refused to run against the Republican Congressman in Arkansas, but feel obligated to run against an apparent ally in Green Party legislator Richard Carroll. Kudos to Carroll to sticking with issues over political affiliation. If he does a great job as a legislator and serves his constituents, he ought to be able to hold his seat as a Green in 2010.

Back