Sen. Mel Martinez of Fla. won't seek re-election

Socrtease

Verified User
But it has NOTHING to do with this election! Ha!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_on_el_se/mel_martinez

ORLANDO, Fla. – U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida, who has struggled to boost public support because of his close ties to President George W. Bush, announced Tuesday he will not seek a second term in 2010, saying he wants to spend more time with his family.

The Republican pushed an immigration reform bill that was unpopular with many in his party, and his seat was widely seen as vulnerable in two years. However, Martinez rejected suggestions he faced difficult re-election prospects in a state won last month by Democrat Barack Obama.

"I've faced much tougher obstacles in my life," Martinez said. "My decision is not based on re-election prospects, but on what on what I want to do with the next eight years of my life."

more at link.

Hmmmmm...

I wonder if we'll get another Bill Nelson in there?

The Republicans are looking awful. They seem to be the only national party prone to collapsing every 30 years or so. The Democrats haven't ever been to those depths since reconstruction. I think the fact that they've looked far worse than this numerous times before is the only comfort they have.

Hmmmmm...

I wonder if we'll get another Bill Nelson in there?

The Republicans are looking awful. They seem to be the only national party prone to collapsing every 30 years or so. The Democrats haven't ever been to those depths since reconstruction. I think the fact that they've looked far worse than this numerous times before is the only comfort they have.

i heard Chambliss won in your neck of the woods... no 60 for the Dems

i heard Chambliss won in your neck of the woods... no 60 for the Dems

I was glad to see Chambliss win it. He is a proponent of the Fair Tax Act, and the campaign mudslinging by Martin was annoying.

I was glad to see Chambliss win it. He is a proponent of the Fair Tax Act, and the campaign mudslinging by Martin was annoying.

While the Fair tax would be a better alternative than our current system, I would prefer a Flat tax with a standard deduction. It is even simpler than the Fair tax, so everyone can understand the tax code. It is fair, progressive and something the politicians couldn't muck around with (other than the flat rate or standard deduction amounts)

Which means far less influence for lobbyists to bribe politicians.

The Fairest Tax is a flat tax. Everything else is just bullshit catering to one interest group or another.

The fairest tax is the progressive tax. Anything else is the largest middle class tax raise in history.

And it's dissapointing that Martin lost (well, if you're not a Republican that is). Democratic voters just rarely turn out enough for the runoffs; they've always been biased a little towards the Republicans. I don't really care about checks; my biggest problem with Obama is that he doesn't go far enough. But Snowe and Specter will usually round out our votes anyway. Specter might even defect; it's the only way he can win the next election.

John Ellis Bush is going to run for the upcoming FL senate seat it appears.

Long live the dynasty :clink:

And Bill is going to get Hillary's seat in NY? :CLINK:

The fairest tax is the progressive tax. Anything else is the largest middle class tax raise in history.

And it's dissapointing that Martin lost (well, if you're not a Republican that is). Democratic voters just rarely turn out enough for the runoffs; they've always been biased a little towards the Republicans. I don't really care about checks; my biggest problem with Obama is that he doesn't go far enough. But Snowe and Specter will usually round out our votes anyway. Specter might even defect; it's the only way he can win the next election.

God you are nutters.

If you don't care about checks you are an idiot. Sorry.

The first reason Bush scared me was his unchecked power.

I think the Democrats can check themselves. My biggest fear is that they will check themselves too much, and refuse to repeal legislation like the Patriot act. Why would I want the Republicans "checking" an agenda I already think is far too right wing?

I think the Democrats can check themselves. My biggest fear is that they will check themselves too much, and refuse to repeal legislation like the Patriot act. Why would I want the Republicans "checking" an agenda I already think is far too right wing?

Gimmie a break. Open your eyes ... you can see the implosion a mile away. The best thing that could happen to the future of the Conservatives...is the Dems getting too much unchecked power... just like the Pubs of a few years ago.

Gimmie a break. Open your eyes ... you can see the implosion a mile away. The best thing that could happen to the future of the Conservatives...is the Dems getting too much unchecked power... just like the Pubs of a few years ago.

I disagree. I want my policies implemented. The only thing the Democrats could possibly do is check themselves too much. I don't want more right wingers mucking things up even more.

Back