Senate

Onceler

Man, are there some close races going on. It looks like Coleman is going to pull it out, but only by a few hundred votes or so. Oregon is also basically tied, but with much more vote to be counted (about 25%). For some reason, they haven't called GA, but it looks like Chambliss is going to win, so that's 3 potential wins for the GOP to keep the Dems from getting close to 60.

The BIG shocker is Alaska, where it looks like the people who gave us Sarah Barracuda are about to elect a criminal.

I'd like to see Franken pull it out because I really can't stand Coleman, and I also think that Chambliss is a POS, but, I never got wrapped up in that 60 seat thing that a lot of people did. Lieberman's gone. He's not a dem anymore. He's been saying that a 60 seat dem majority would be "scary for the country", and that he's going to vote with R's and all this other shit. Let's just kick his ass out and make it official. Also, you have blue dog dems, and I don't believe you were going to get every single one of them to stand the line on almost anything. And finally, you have a couple of moderate repubs left, Snow for instance, and you can form a coalition with them, which is as it should be anyway.

But alaska, yeah, that tells us a lot doesn't it?

Forgot about Lieberman; he was on the plane yesterday with McCain. There should be no debate about him at all - he cannot caucus with the Dems anymore, period.

Speaking of Alaska, I noticed that, while McCain was recovering some of his old dignity & admonishing those who booed at his speech yesterday, she was smiling and actually looked like she thought it was funny. It was weird; maybe I read too much into it...

Forgot about Lieberman; he was on the plane yesterday with McCain. There should be no debate about him at all - he cannot caucus with the Dems anymore, period.

Speaking of Alaska, I noticed that, while McCain was recovering some of his old dignity & admonishing those who booed at his speech yesterday, she was smiling and actually looked like she thought it was funny. It was weird; maybe I read too much into it...

oh no, she's delusional. she believes she will be the first female president of the united states, and that she will challenge obama in 012. i believe, from having read about her church and seeing tapes of her speaking there, that she believes she has been ordained by God for this.

i also believe you are going to see the rational right, the intellectual right, take her out real fast so that she can never become the nominee, because she is the further doom of the republican party, and they must reorganize around their intellectuals. it's going to be an interesting fight to watch.

i totally agree about lieberman.

Man, are there some close races going on. It looks like Coleman is going to pull it out, but only by a few hundred votes or so. Oregon is also basically tied, but with much more vote to be counted (about 25%). For some reason, they haven't called GA, but it looks like Chambliss is going to win, so that's 3 potential wins for the GOP to keep the Dems from getting close to 60.

The BIG shocker is Alaska, where it looks like the people who gave us Sarah Barracuda are about to elect a criminal.

they haven't called GA, because he is hanging just above the 50% level. If he falls below, there is a runoff election.

I'd like to see Franken pull it out because I really can't stand Coleman, and I also think that Chambliss is a POS, but, I never got wrapped up in that 60 seat thing that a lot of people did. Lieberman's gone. He's not a dem anymore. He's been saying that a 60 seat dem majority would be "scary for the country", and that he's going to vote with R's and all this other shit. Let's just kick his ass out and make it official. Also, you have blue dog dems, and I don't believe you were going to get every single one of them to stand the line on almost anything. And finally, you have a couple of moderate repubs left, Snow for instance, and you can form a coalition with them, which is as it should be anyway.

But alaska, yeah, that tells us a lot doesn't it?

No different than electing a dead man in MO. If the people expect someone else to be the one to represent them. If Stevens wins, he will step down and thus allow another Rep to take his place.

No different than electing a dead man in MO. If the people expect someone else to be the one to represent them. If Stevens wins, he will step down and thus allow another Rep to take his place.

Actually, there really isn't any comparison to what happened in MO and what happened in Alaska,

And what makes you think he'll step down? He has been pretty defiant in his public statements...

Actually, there really isn't any comparison to what happened in MO and what happened in Alaska,

And what makes you think he'll step down? He has been pretty defiant in his public statements...

I did not mean to imply they were identical, but for the electorate... if your choice is someone who has opposing views to yours or electing a candidate you beleive will step down and be replaced by someone who shares more of your views.... who would you vote for?

As for Stevens.... I think he believes he can continue on, but I also believe there is no way the Reps allow it to occur. There is going to be heavy pressure on his crooked ass to resign for 'health reasons' or some such nonsense. Obviously I do not know for sure, but I would bet he is not the Senator for AK come January.

I did not mean to imply they were identical, but for the electorate... if your choice is someone who has opposing views to yours and electing a candidate you beleive will step down and be replaced by someone who shares more of your views.... who would you vote for?

As for Stevens.... I think he believes he can continue on, but I also believe there is no way the Reps allow it to occur. There is going to be heavy pressure on his crooked ass to resign for 'health reasons' or some such nonsense. Obviously I do not know for sure, but I would bet he is not the Senator for AK come January.

Stevens wasn't even convicted. Well, according to him anyway:

(CNN) -- Despite his felony conviction this week for filing false U.S. Senate financial disclosure forms, Republican Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska insisted he was innocent and vowed not to step down.

"I have not been convicted of anything," he maintained during a Thursday night debate in Anchorage, only days before Tuesday's election.

Stevens wasn't even convicted. Well, according to him anyway:

Stevens is an idiot, so I really could care less what he thinks. I care far more about what the Rep leadership will do. Their image is in the shitter and they know it. There will be massive pressure on Stevens to resign (should he indeed win)

I don't know much about Stevens, but from what I have seen of him in the past week or so, I doubt he will care about the "pressure" he'll get. He was popularly elected, and his campaign was positively giddy last night about the results.

You're assuming a lot there. I don't have any reason to believe he'll step down....

I don't know much about Stevens, but from what I have seen of him in the past week or so, I doubt he will care about the "pressure" he'll get. He was popularly elected, and his campaign was positively giddy last night about the results.

You're assuming a lot there. I don't have any reason to believe he'll step down....

True. I am assuming that he steps down, under pressure from the Rep leadership. True also that he is a stubborn old bastard and won't likely go easily. But I also know one of Stevens staff members and that they are already feeling the heat. That individuals take is that the pressure will continue to increase until he caves.

"The Senator has reported every gift that he has received..." - Some guy just recently during the funniest press conference I have seen in a long time.

Back