Seriously Good News

Cancel7

Banned
Somewhere along the meandering career path that led James Webb to the U.S. Senate, he found himself in the frigid interior of a Japanese prison.

A journalist at the time, he was working on an article about Ed Arnett, an American who had spent two years in Fuchu Prison for possession of marijuana. In a January 1984 Parade magazine piece, Webb described the harsh conditions imposed on Arnett, who had frostbite and sometimes labored in solitary confinement making paper bags.

"But, surprisingly, Arnett, home in Omaha, Neb., says he prefers Japan's legal system to ours," Webb wrote. "Why? 'Because it's fair,' he said."

This spring, Webb (D-Va.) plans to introduce legislation on a long-standing passion of his: reforming the U.S. prison system. Jails teem with young black men who later struggle to rejoin society, he says. Drug addicts and the mentally ill take up cells that would be better used for violent criminals. And politicians have failed to address this costly problem for fear of being labeled "soft on crime."

It is a gamble for Webb, a fiery and cerebral Democrat from a staunchly law-and-order state. Virginia abolished parole in 1995, and it trails only Texas in the number of people it has executed. Moreover, as the country struggles with two wars overseas and an ailing economy, overflowing prisons are the last thing on many lawmakers' minds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...12/28/AR2008122801728.html?wprss=rss_politics

I spend a lot of time in VA and just over past 10years or so its really become more liberal. northern VA is like a totally different state then western VA. The number of new England transplants there is astonishing. Im not surprised at all its turning blue.

I spend a lot of time in VA and just over past 10years or so its really become more liberal. northern VA is like a totally different state then western VA. The number of new England transplants there is astonishing. Im not surprised at all its turning blue.

But when Webb introduces this legislaton it will be nationally. If the dem senate and congress can pass it, Obama will sign it, and we might actually get reform on our prison and sentencing system. Without legalizing marijuana which is probably just not going to happen. But this is another path.

Many Many foreign immigrants in northern VA. I think that is one of the biggest demographic changes.

But when Webb introduces this legislaton it will be nationally. If the dem senate and congress can pass it, Obama will sign it, and we might actually get reform on our prison and sentencing system. Without legalizing marijuana which is probably just not going to happen. But this is another path.

I hope it works. right now is the time to try for some aggressive legislation while the hate for the republicans is the greatest and the love for the dems is at all time highs. 2 years from now the fickle people may hate dems again.

I hope it works. right now is the time to try for some aggressive legislation while the hate for the republicans is the greatest and the love for the dems is at all time highs. 2 years from now the fickle people may hate dems again.

Me too. It would be one of the best things this congress could accomplish.

Many Many foreign immigrants in northern VA. I think that is one of the biggest demographic changes.

yah i noticed that as well but VA is segregated by income levels. Each PUD is cookie cutter family stories. Good for easy friend making but not really for me. You live in xyz lane and you prob make between 100-150k and are between 30-40yo, move to abc lane and you prob make 75-125k age 25-35

So much different then around here.

Nem számít. Tűnj el, te idióta! Megtalálom. Megtalálom, ha fel is kell perzselnem egész Párizst

Back