sex slavery

ib1yysguy

Tell me what you know about sex slavery in the US. I've been doing some reading and it's a fascinating topic.

I'm just curious to see if someone knows something I don't.

illegal immigrants are frequently enslaved as sex workers

another reason to legalize sex workers so that children and immigrants are less likely to be enslaved

while sex slaves may be found in every nation, some places have more than others

children are usually the most desired sex slaves

A very real, international problem -

http://www.interpol.int/Public/THB/default.asp

Here (Australia) it's a big problem. A mate of mine who's a Federal Police agent recently arrested a married couple and charged them with federal offences relating to sex slavery. It seems that women who are victims here come from SE Asian countries.

I know the thread was opened and reference to the US but I thought enlarging it a bit wouldn't be a heinous threadcrime.

Which type? There is consensual BDSM play where one may be a sub to a Dom... Then there is illegal trade where consent is not an option.

Which type? There is consensual BDSM play where one may be a sub to a Dom... Then there is illegal trade where consent is not an option.

Good question, Damo.

Why not just elaborate on the area you're best acquainted with?

Tell me what you know about sex slavery in the US. I've been doing some reading and it's a fascinating topic.

Fascinating is not the word I'd use.

Horrifying comes to mind. From what I've read, trafficking of women and young girls involves millions of people worldwide. It's a problem that is largely ignored.

While we fret about stuff like the DC gun ban, this problem, in my view, is far more significant and horrific. In the U.S., I don't think we have good data. Again, the government mostly ignores this. But, I'm pretty sure tens of thousands, if not more, young women from developing countries are trafficked into the US and held as virtual slaves. In atrocious conditions. There's some good websites that document the problem. I think Amnesty International is way on top of it. As are some of the prominent Women's Rights advocacy groups.

Well, it ain't so bad. It ain't slavery if you like it, but even if their ugly they still pay you, so at that point you are just providing a service. What else do you need to know about my profession?

Horrifying comes to mind. From what I've read, trafficking of women and young girls involves millions of people worldwide. It's a problem that is largely ignored.

While we fret about stuff like the DC gun ban, this problem, in my view, is far more significant and horrific. In the U.S., I don't think we have good data. Again, the government mostly ignores this. But, I'm pretty sure tens of thousands, if not more, young women from developing countries are trafficked into the US and held as virtual slaves. In atrocious conditions. There's some good websites that document the problem. I think Amnesty International is way on top of it. As are some of the prominent Women's Rights advocacy groups.

MSNBC had a special on this last night. Unfortunately it was pretty late, so I didn't stay up to watch it. If it airs earlier I will make an effort to see it.

I mean they ship women over from china in frikkin cargo containers. It's hard to imagine this happens in the US, but it's all over the place. Every major city, according to some sources.

Alright, lets start the one-upsmanship to see who can be more outraged.

I'm looking at it from a journalist's standpoint. And it is fascinating. There are about 50,000 women being brought to the US for this purpose every year. I had no idea, and my bet is most people don't.

Back