SF Chronicle Article: National debt seen heading for crisis level

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2010/04/05/MNI21COVR1.DTL

With ferocious speed, the financial crisis, recession and efforts to combat the recession have swung the U.S. debt from worrisome to ruinous, promising to handcuff the administration.

Lost amid last month's passage of the new health care law, the Congressional Budget Office issued a report showing that within this decade, President Obama's own budget sends the U.S. government to a potential tipping point where the debt reaches 90 percent of gross domestic product.

Economists Carmen Reinhart of the University of Maryland and Kenneth Rogoff of Harvard University have recently shown that a 90 percent debt-to-GDP ratio usually touches off a crisis.

This year, the debt will reach 63 percent of GDP, a ratio that has ignited crises in smaller wealthy nations. Fiscal crises gripped Canada, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Ireland when their debts were below where the United States is shortly headed.

More at link...

Maybe cuase I'm now an old aarp fart, I never like the idea of not taking a little medicine today instead of passing trillions on to my kids and grand kids.
I want my SS check and a stable bond market. Cut defense spending 50%

Maybe cuase I'm now an old aarp fart, I never like the idea of not taking a little medicine today instead of passing trillions on to my kids and grand kids.
I want my SS check and a stable bond market. Cut defense spending 50%

Without an adequate defense for the country, you will have no need for an SS check and their will be no bond market....at least a US bond market.

"O'Neill said he tried to warn Vice President Dick Cheney that growing budget deficits-expected to top $500 billion this fiscal year alone-posed a threat to the economy. Cheney cut him off. "You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don't matter," he said, according to excerpts. Cheney continued: "We won the midterms (congressional elections). This is our due." A month later, Cheney told the Treasury secretary he was fired."
http://www.ontheissues.org/2004/Dick_Cheney_Budget_+_Economy.htm

Why didn't you speak up then? Where were you when Bush charged big oil's war on our credit card? Where was your voice when Reagan/BushI/Clinton developed and signed NAFTA/GATT which moved our productivity to Mexico and China? Where were you when tax cuts for the rich multiplied our budget deficit?

You backed the madness for the last 30 years. Now you want to blame it on the govt. since Dems are in control. You are a corporate tool. You are as expendable as coal miners in W.Va. to the people you support. They laugh at you.

You have no credibility.

"O'Neill said he tried to warn Vice President Dick Cheney that growing budget deficits-expected to top $500 billion this fiscal year alone-posed a threat to the economy. Cheney cut him off. "You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don't matter," he said, according to excerpts. Cheney continued: "We won the midterms (congressional elections). This is our due." A month later, Cheney told the Treasury secretary he was fired."
http://www.ontheissues.org/2004/Dick_Cheney_Budget_+_Economy.htm

Why didn't you speak up then? Where were you when Bush charged big oil's war on our credit card? Where was your voice when Reagan/BushI/Clinton developed and signed NAFTA/GATT which moved our productivity to Mexico and China? Where were you when tax cuts for the rich multiplied our budget deficit?

You backed the madness for the last 30 years. Now you want to blame it on the govt. since Dems are in control. You are a corporate tool. You are as expendable as coal miners in W.Va. to the people you support. They laugh at you.

You have no credibility.

Very nice teabag moron burn!!! kudo's

Who Would Have Thought?

But but, spending helps the economy, according to Obama. By this logic we should increase military spending and start a new war or two.

teabag-truth.jpg

spending does help the economy and so would increasing it the way southern moron says. But builing roads and bridges and schools is favored by dems vs wars where you drop Helicopters of money to win hearts and minds. lol

Back