Should 3rd-party candidates be permitted into the debates?

Should 3rd-party candidates be permitted into the debates?

• Total voters

Cancel11

God Bless America
I believe so long as a candidate is on enough State ballots to theoretically win the election (270 Electoral votes), they should be allowed into the debates. It's a simple solution, it's fair, and in the best interests of the voters.

I believe so long as a candidate is on enough State ballots to theoretically win the election (270 Electoral votes), they should be allowed into the debates. It's a simple solution, it's fair, and in the best interests of the voters.

The problem is the impediment 3rd party candidates face just getting on state ballots. Both major parties work real hard to keep them off.

Damn your realistic pessimism Dave.

Third party candidates would just get 'in the way' and stuff. We just can't let anyone in to the debates. We need a good president but I'm pretty sure the process we have now has given that to us up to this point.. right?

I voted "No" because I didn't want to hurt "no"'s feelings. It gets jealous when "yes" gets all the attention.

:)

That's funny.

But, the issue of 3rd parties is going to get real serious after this election.

I disagree wholeheartedly. If ever there was a time for a third party emergence and for one to take center stage its now. If Libertarians were going to actually put forth a serious contender and really make headway with their cause it would most certainly be in this presidential election. Instead they nominate a 'libertarian' who voted for the patriot act, dom act, and a host of other unlibertarian bills.

I disagree wholeheartedly. If ever there was a time for a third party emergence and for one to take center stage its now. If Libertarians were going to actually put forth a serious contender and really make headway with their cause it would most certainly be in this presidential election. Instead they nominate a 'libertarian' who voted for the patriot act, dom act, and a host of other unlibertarian bills.

Hey, it's a step, the last guy refused to get a Driver's license.

OH NOEZ?! IMAGINE THE CHOASES?! IAMGINE THE ANRACHY?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Mexico had five candidates on stage at the debates, including ones Americans would laugh at like the Green party, and they did a-OK. It's important to realize that the views of people who may garner less than 20% in a three-way or whatever they are requiring these days are important contributions to the American political spectrum.

Indeed....!

I'm still waiting for the Bull... :moos: party to be ressurected from the ashes...where is Teddy when you need him? In the meantime I am still waiting for my party... conservative 'American Independent' to put forth a viable candidate...:)

Look around you sister .. the cracks are already getting wider.

It remains to be seen if Humpty can be put back together again.

Both the democrats and republicans have differing factions with their own party and sometimes these factions are closer to factions within the other party than they are their own. Case in point: the DLC.

I sense a real clamor for a 3rd party these days .. which in my opinion, is a good thing.

i voted yes, so that topics are brought up other than the fluff, fluff that the 2 party debate brings....

care

Same concept for me Care. Make the 2 big parties address the other issues.

If someone has made all that effort and gotten the support required to be on the ballot they deserve to be heard.

I think all candidates on the ballot should be in the debate.

All the candidates in all the ballots in all the states?

That's probably literally more than one-hundred candidates.

I think I'll just limit it to the people who seriously would like to be president and poll more than 0.75%.

Following my proposal, there would be five candidates:

McCain, Obama, Barr, McKinney, and Baldwin.
(I highly doubt Nader will end up on enough ballots).

Five candidates is a very manageable number. I've watched gubernatorial debates which had that many or even more participants.

Back