Should the Federal Government Pay States for Jailing Illegals?

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/23/texas.law/index.html

"In addition, the nation's governors are looking for compensation from the federal government for the cost of housing illegal immigrants in local jails.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California is one of a nearly dozen governors demanding that Washington pay the costs that states incur for jailing criminal illegal immigrants"

That would be where the responsibility lies. They wouldn't be here if they were doing their jobs.

Yes They should. Maybe this will get border enforcement back on the agenda. And maybe they'll catch criminals to swell the state coffer instead of setting speed traps for citizens.

The feds should be forced to pay because whenever a state tries to do something about illegal immigration, they are told it's none of their business.

Do think that there should be a distinction between arriving illegally versus having expired papers?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/23/texas.law/index.html

"In addition, the nation's governors are looking for compensation from the federal government for the cost of housing illegal immigrants in local jails.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California is one of a nearly dozen governors demanding that Washington pay the costs that states incur for jailing criminal illegal immigrants"

That's retarded. Let them free if your so pissed about it.

If the Feds were doing their job then they wouldn't be here to violate state laws. I don't think it should matter which law they violate.

If the states are pissed, they have it within their capability to release them. They are the ones that choose to lock them up, they are the ones that pay the costs. Plain and simple common sense. Stupid ignorant immigrant fearmongers.

I didn't say that illegals shouldn't have to go to jail for breaking laws. I said that, whoever is locked up, there is only one entity responsible for locking that person up.

If you pass the laws and you enforce them, you pay the costs. The federal government doesn't have a responsibility to pay for what states do.

If the federal government isn't doing its job to make sure that criminals aren't illegally entering the country states and local goverments are still obliged to protect their citizens. Its not difficult to trace the line of liabilty.

If I hit your car and you can't drive it, I can't go to court and simply tell you to take the bus and get away with it. I'd be responsible for restituting your losses.

If the federal government isn't doing its job to make sure that criminals aren't illegally entering the country states and local goverments are still obliged to protect their citizens. Its not difficult to trace the line of liabilty.

If I hit your car and you can't drive it, I can't go to court and simply tell you to take the bus and get away with it. I'd be responsible for restituting your losses.

Where in the constitution does it say the federal govenrment has a responsible to keep the brown folks out? For 100 years what we call "illegal immigration" was simply how American immigration was handled.

The federal government can decide on whatever the hell immigration policies it wants to. The states can decide on whatever the hell crime policy they want to. Like it or not, it was the states action that they are locked up. They are not constitutionally bound to lock kids who snort cocaine up, they don't have to do it, but they do it anyway. It doesn't matter if it's an illegal or not, they are responsible for what they did.

Hell, if I get a parking ticket today, and the federal government didn't kill me before I got it, is it the federal government fault to? Fucking juvenile.

Back