Should the US get out of the Middle East?

Should the US get out of the Middle East?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Legion Troll

A fine upstanding poster
StopTheWar.jpg

The United States is stuck in the Middle East.

To reflect on this longest of American wars—why it goes on and on, and at such a cost of blood and treasure—is to confront two questions.

First, why has the world’s mightiest military achieved so little even while absorbing very considerable losses and inflicting even greater damage on the subjects of America’s supposed beneficence?

Second, why in the face of such unsatisfactory outcomes has the United States refused to chart a different course?

In short, why can’t we win?

And since we haven’t won, why can’t we get out?

The answer to these questions starts with questioning the premise.

The tendency to see the region and Islamic world primarily as a problem that will yield to an American military solution is, in fact, precisely the problem.

To an unseemly and ultimately self-destructive degree, we have endorsed the misguided militarization of U.S. foreign policy.

As a consequence, we have allowed our country to be pulled into the impossible task of trying to “shape” the region through martial means.

It’s long past time to stop trying.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/middle-east-foreign-policy-afghanistan-unwinnable-213778

The United States is stuck in the Middle East.
To reflect on this longest of American wars—why it goes on and on, and at such a cost of blood and treasure—is to confront two questions.
first off..define your terms..how are we "stuck" and which war is this?

It's clear any US withdrawal does not stabilize the ME. ( I don't mean US wars).
Obama has marginalized the ME, and Russia has moved in, and Iran is tromping around the town.

How is this beneficial to anyone? ( except Iran and Russia)..

yu either help shape events or become a prisoner of them. we keep the sea lanes open, we help keep balance of powers
( when we're not warring like Iraq/Libya)

Sea lanes? :dunno:

Eternal occupation is the policy, with drone attacks on our allies tossed in for good measure?

This has already gone on 3X longer than WWII.

What's the plan? Are we making the Middle East the 51st state?

Sea lanes? :dunno:

Eternal occupation is the policy, with drone attacks on our allies tossed in for good measure?

This has already gone on 3X longer than WWII.

What's the plan? Are we making the Middle East the 51st state?
straight of Hormuz -6th fleet -etc...

what war are you talking about -Afghanistan? That's in central Asia.
That war was "nationbuilding"-removing the Taliban and implanting a western style democracy.
It's very risky and costly, agreed.

Think "counterterrorism" instead ( like Yemen) - Whack a Mole the terrorists ( bad guys) but do not invest in their government

straight of Hormuz -6th fleet -etc...

what war are you talking about -Afghanistan? That's in central Asia.
That war was "nationbuilding"-removing the Taliban and implanting a western style democracy.
It's very risky and costly, agreed.

Think "counterterrorism" instead ( like Yemen) - Whack a Mole the terrorists ( bad guys) but do not invest in their government

Who exactly is attempting to close the Strait of Hormuz?

What war? The "war on terror"...the one that has no end.

So?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Strait mostly inside their territorial waters?
I don't know if the Straits of Hormuz themselves are international waters. Maybe part of Oman too -I don't know.
either way the are access for Saudi Arabia , etc.. they are international trade choke points

Strait_of_Hormuz_map.jpg

I don't know if the Straits of Hormuz themselves are international waters. Maybe part of Oman too -I don't know.
either way the are access for Saudi Arabia , etc.. they are international trade choke points

Interesting. So you don't know where the international boundaries of the Strait of Hormuz lie, but your position is that the US should continue to occupy the Middle East because Iran has "threatened" to close it?

800px-Strait_of_hormuz_full.jpg

It's an international trade route -simply claiming territorial waters doesn't give a nation due cause to close them

It's an international trade route -simply claiming territorial waters doesn't give a nation due cause to close them

Has Iran in fact closed them?

Why does the US feel it has the right to "enforce" right of passage in the Strait?

Would you find Iranian warships in the Florida Strait acceptable?

Back