Smart Libertarians Turn Trumpers

Kamala Trump

Verified User

We’re libertarians who refuse to vote for the party’s ridiculous presidential candidate

I’m a libertarian, but I’m totally turned off by the party. And I’m not alone, especially now that Chase Oliver is its 2024 candidate.

Although libertarian ideology has mass appeal, the party has consistently alienated voters with outlandish antics and out-of-touch nominees, and this election cycle is no exception.

Since Oliver won the Libertarian primary late last month, the former Georgia Senate candidate has been going viral for some of his more lefty stances.

In resurfaced clips, the 38-year-old has been dragged for publicly advocating for defunding the police “until [they] restore trust with the people,” describing drag queen story hours as “performance art,” advocating for open borders and defending gender-affirming care for transgender kids as “the status quo.”

Chase Oliver on debate stage5
Former Georgia Senate candidate Chase Oliver prevailed in the Libertarian Party primaries last month.AP

The fundamental libertarian principle is “live and let live,” and there are certainly libertarians who embrace that ethos on both the political right and the left.

But the party is making a massive error by choosing a hard-left-leaning libertarian with values destined to turn off Republicans who might be looking for an alternative in 2024.

“The entire country is looking for something different than two old fogies and the same old uni-party,” Mark, a 42-year-old libertarian, told The Post. “This came to a crashing halt when the party nominated another leftist Libertarian in 2024.”

https://nypost.com/2024/06/10/opinion/im-a-libertarian-but-the-party-has-turned-into-a-joke/#

Back