Some words from the son of a religious right leader

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/obamas-minister-committe_b_91774.html

When Senator Obama's preacher thundered about racism and injustice Obama suffered smear-by-association. But when my late father -- Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer -- denounced America and even called for the violent overthrow of the US government, he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr.

Every Sunday thousands of right wing white preachers (following in my father's footsteps) rail against America's sins from tens of thousands of pulpits. They tell us that America is complicit in the "murder of the unborn," has become "Sodom" by coddling gays, and that our public schools are sinful places full of evolutionists and sex educators hell-bent on corrupting children. They say, as my dad often did, that we are, "under the judgment of God." They call America evil and warn of immanent destruction. By comparison Obama's minister's shouted "controversial" comments were mild. All he said was that God should damn America for our racism and violence and that no one had ever used the N-word about Hillary Clinton.

Things his father said

In the United States the materialistic, humanistic world view is being taught exclusively in most state schools... There is an obvious parallel between this and the situation in Russia [the USSR]. And we really must not be blind to the fact that indeed in the public schools in the United States all religious influence is as forcibly forbidden as in the Soviet Union....

Then this:

There does come a time when force, even physical force, is appropriate... A true Christian in Hitler's Germany and in the occupied countries should have defied the false and counterfeit state. This brings us to a current issue that is crucial for the future of the church in the United States, the issue of abortion... It is time we consciously realize that when any office commands what is contrary to God's law it abrogates it's authority. And our loyalty to the God who gave this law then requires that we make the appropriate response in that situation...

Take Dad's words and put them in the mouth of Obama's preacher (or in the mouth of any black American preacher) and people would be accusing that preacher of treason. Yet when we of the white Religious Right denounced America white conservative Americans and top political leaders, called our words "godly" and "prophetic" and a "call to repentance."

We Republican agitators of the mid 1970s to the late 1980s were genuinely anti-American in the same spirit that later Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson (both followers of my father) were anti-American when they said God had removed his blessing from America on 9/11, because America accepted gays. Falwell and Robertson recanted but we never did.

Damn it desh, you never get the right message. The point is not "republicans are sometimes against the state too". It's that sometimes the state and the system ARE wrong and unjust. Jesus h. The state is desh's god.

"Take Dad's words and put them in the mouth of Obama's preacher (or in the mouth of any black American preacher) and people would be accusing that preacher of treason"

And take Wrights words and put them in the mouth of any white pastor and they would be called racist.

From Obama.....

""But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

The above from Obama is all he needed to say to make his position on Wrights comments clear.
But do you care that Republicans have courted the favor of Reverands that spouted as much hate of America? Do you recall that Falwell said 9-11 was Gods punishment because of Gays and feminists? Did you decry him like you have Wright. My bet is no because he was a right winger and you didn't mind him blaming 9-11 on gays and liberal women.

Pastor Wright's words were radical and some of them were racist. Any Pastor giving such a sermon in my view is out of bounds and I would not sit and listen to the garbage. I don't care if they are White, Black, Brown, or other. It is the words, not the color of skin. Barack often implies that "words matter". Barack himself quickly jumped on the Band Wagon to get Imus tossed off the TV and Radio for his remarks.

I don't think Barack is racist or radical, and I don't think he has liability for Pastor Wright's views. Having had a father from Africa and a white mother, he may be the most qualified candidate to address race issues that we have ever had. I'm not voting for him, but he might be our next President. If he is, I will support him. Every American has the right to make up their own mind.

I don't think it is the racism that hurt Obama, it is his lending credibility to the message involved. His personage as a high elected official lends credibility by his attendance.

Back