'Squawk Box' Guest Warns of $12-15-a-Gallon Gas

uscitizen

Villified User
'Squawk Box' Guest Warns of $12-15-a-Gallon Gas
Robert Hirsch, an energy advisor, says CNBC morning show prediction was a citation of the 'Dean of Oil Analysts.'

By Jeff Poor
Business & Media Institute
5/21/2008 3:38:13 PM

Send this page to a friend! (click here)

It may be the mother of all doom and gloom gas price predictions: $12 for a gallon of gas is “inevitable.”

Robert Hirsch, Management Information Services Senior Energy Advisor, gave a dire warning about the potential future of gas prices on CNBC’s May 20 “Squawk Box”. He told host Becky Quick there was no single thing that would solve the problem, due to the enormity of the problem.

[T]he prices that we’re paying at the pump today are, I think, going to be ‘the good old days,’ because others who watch this very closely forecast that we’re going to be hitting $12 and $15 per gallon,” Hirsch said. “And then, after that, when oil – world oil production goes into decline, we’re going to talk about rationing. In other words, not only are we going to be paying high prices and have considerable economic problems, but in addition to that, we’re not going to be able to get the fuel when we want it.”

Hirsch told the Business & Media Institute the $12-$15 a gallon wasn’t his prediction, but that he was citing Charles T. Maxwell, described as the “Dean of Oil Analysts” and the senior energy analyst at Weeden & Co. Still, Hirsch admitted the high price was inevitable in his view.

“I don’t attempt to predict oil prices because it’s been impossible in the past,” Hirsch said in an e-mail. “We’re into a new era now, and over the next roughly five years the trend will be up significantly. However, there may be dips and bumps that no one can forecast; I wouldn’t be at all surprised. To me the multi-year upswing is inevitable.”

Maxwell’s original $12-15-a-gallon prediction came in a February 5 interview with Energytechstocks.com, a Web site run by two former Wall Street Journal staffers.

“[Maxwell] expects an oil-induced financial crisis to start somewhere in the 2010 to 2015 timeframe,” Energytechstocks.com reported. “He said that, unlike the recession the U.S. appears to be in today, ‘This will not be six months of hell and then we come out of it.’ Rather, Maxwell expects this financial crisis to last at least 10 or 12 years, as the world goes through a prolonged period of price-induced rationing (eg, oil up to $300 a barrel and U.S. pump prices up to $15 a gallon).”

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080521145247.aspx

All I can say is...

if this were to happen...this country would see a revolution unlike 1776...ya think the tea party made news...well if this happened...this country would see a depression that made the Crash of 29' seem like a picknik...and a revolution would hit the White House,Wall Street and the oil executives...I would even join in albeit I did enforce the laws during the day....this would be the straw that broke the Camels back..:blowup:

Actually...if the price per barrel does not retreat to say $35.00... and the pump to less than $1.00 per gallon I may join the revolution early...gas is $.15 cents per gallon in Venezuela and $.45 cents per gallon in Saudi Arabia...whats up with that? we get f'd while they bask in profits...and we do all their fighting and sacrafice for these rapists!

Last edited:
if this were to happen...this country would see a revolution unlike 1776...ya think the tea party made news...well if this happened...this country would see a depression that made the Crash of 29' seem like a picknik...and a revolution would hit the White House,Wall Street and the oil executives...I would even join in albeit I did enforce the laws during the day....this would be the straw that broke the Camels back..:blowup:

Actually...if the price per barrel does not retreat to say $35.00... and the pump to less than $1.00 per gallon I may join the revolution early...gas is $.15 cents per gallon in Venezuela and $.45 cents per gallon in Saudi Arabia...whats up with that? we get f'd while they bask in profits...and we do all their fighting and sacrafice for these rapists!

Those countries heavily subsidize their gas prices. That is why they are so low. You will not ever see sub $50 oil again. Nor will you see anything close to $1 per gallon gas.

That said, we need to get on line every source of domestic oil that we can. This coupled with a heavy push and investment into alt energy sources has to happen.

BS....! Pure BS!

Those countries heavily subsidize their gas prices. That is why they are so low. You will not ever see sub $50 oil again. Nor will you see anything close to $1 per gallon gas.

That said, we need to get on line every source of domestic oil that we can. This coupled with a heavy push and investment into alt energy sources has to happen.

the price of oil has increased even though production and tech refining has improved...this is nothing short of artificial rape...just like everyone said computers would help production and costs..improve speed and lower costs...because labor would be reduced...well golly gee all these tech improvements and the costs of everything has skyrocketed...enough of the lies by wall street...fuel costs have risen because of speculation for investors..just like the rape of the housing markets...get a grip already this fraud is out in the open and y'all rapists will have to pay...very soon I predict!

the price of oil has increased even though production and tech refining has improved...this is nothing short of artificial rape...just like everyone said computers would help production and costs..improve speed and lower costs...because labor would be reduced...well golly gee all these tech improvements and the costs of everything has skyrocketed...enough of the lies by wall street...fuel costs have risen because of speculation for investors..just like the rape of the housing markets...get a grip already this fraud is out in the open and y'all rapists will have to pay...very soon I predict!
You are ignoring the fact that world demand is rising far faster than U.S. demand - and far faster than supply increases. China's oil consumption has shot through the roof.

I've no doubt that U.S. oil companies are floating fat on the current market while enjoying tax breaks for doing so. But I do not believe it is to the degree you suggest. In actuality we have been riding on unusually low oil prices - compared to the rest of our economy - since we pulled out of the 70s oil crisis. That is one reason we so quickly forgot those days and went back to gas guzzling trucks and oversize luxury cars, and completely dropped out of developing alternate fuels. Now we are paying the price for not taking seriously the warning the 70s gave us.

Well friend...........

You are ignoring the fact that world demand is rising far faster than U.S. demand - and far faster than supply increases. China's oil consumption has shot through the roof.

I've no doubt that U.S. oil companies are floating fat on the current market while enjoying tax breaks for doing so. But I do not believe it is to the degree you suggest. In actuality we have been riding on unusually low oil prices - compared to the rest of our economy - since we pulled out of the 70s oil crisis. That is one reason we so quickly forgot those days and went back to gas guzzling trucks and oversize luxury cars, and completely dropped out of developing alternate fuels. Now we are paying the price for not taking seriously the warning the 70s gave us.

Our whole economy sucks...has for quite a few years...everything is based on specualtion by 'Wall Street' Like I said our economy depends on low fuel costs...it reflects on everything else..yes China has a need for fossil fuel thanks to outsourcing of our production jobs...and Saudi Arabia sells gas to their electorate at $.45 cents per gallon...and Venezuela and Brazille et al at about$.15 cents per gallon...you tell me friend where the descrepancy is and what causes it...I already told you...but you also have your eyes shut...!

When you ask why I call you a moron, this is why.

As I have been saying the golden age of America is past. Our addiction to cheap oil is what made it inevitable.
Other factors figure in as well, a consumer credit based economy vs a manufacturing one is another major factor.

Our country was built around cheap oil and transportation unlike european countries and such. We have intentionally stifled mass transit as well.

This was pretty funny, it took me awhile to stop laughing....

So...dude....WHO YOU GONNA REVOLT AGAINST....ya ain't gonna hit any of the folks to OWN the oil and control the price from the Jersey shore....

Unless your gonna revolt against liberal Dims for not allowing our country to develop our own oil resources....but then you should have been doing that 25 years ago so we wouldn't be in this fix now...

Or revolt against the Repubs for not promoting alternatives until it is too late ?

We should have been promoting energy conservation thru tax incentives to insulate homes, higher mileage restrictions on vehicles, etc. Bush's higher cafe standards kick in af=bout the same time the $12 gas is supposed to get here. Republicans fought higher mileage standards for years.

republicans also stopped offshore drilling in FL the last go around.

Or revolt against the Repubs for not promoting alternatives until it is too late ?

We should have been promoting energy conservation thru tax incentives to insulate homes, higher mileage restrictions on vehicles, etc. Bush's higher cafe standards kick in af=bout the same time the $12 gas is supposed to get here. Republicans fought higher mileage standards for years.

republicans also stopped offshore drilling in FL the last go around.

Whats the matter sonny? No windmills where you live? Don't you feel like a fool?

Of course YOU must have a hy-bred...these silly gas prices don't even affect you....

and solar panels...you gotta have them all over your house....

and really? no windmill in your yard...Bush wouldn't have stopped you if you wanted to put one in...

You are drinking your own urine right....a couple of filters and bam! Recycling....

Soooo

This was pretty funny, it took me awhile to stop laughing....

So...dude....WHO YOU GONNA REVOLT AGAINST....ya ain't gonna hit any of the folks to OWN the oil and control the price from the Jersey shore....

Unless your gonna revolt against liberal Dims for not allowing our country to develop our own oil resources....but then you should have been doing that 25 years ago so we wouldn't be in this fix now...

if gas went to $10.00+ per gallon you would just sit at home and cry? And why did you not revolt against the oil company executives both liberal and conservative alike,both are guilty of price fixing and speculation! They really don't want to drill more or build more refineries because this would lower the price,they don't want to do this,wake up soldier boy!

rotfl

When you ask why I call you a moron, this is why.

after reading your dribble,you are far from the one to call another a moron! BB has been nice to you held back,you should be grateful little boy!

Of course YOU must have a hy-bred...these silly gas prices don't even affect you....

and solar panels...you gotta have them all over your house....

and really? no windmill in your yard...Bush wouldn't have stopped you if you wanted to put one in...

You are drinking your own urine right....a couple of filters and bam! Recycling....

Are you really as much of a waste of skin as you appear to be on here ?

Our whole economy sucks...has for quite a few years...everything is based on specualtion by 'Wall Street' Like I said our economy depends on low fuel costs...it reflects on everything else..yes China has a need for fossil fuel thanks to outsourcing of our production jobs...and Saudi Arabia sells gas to their electorate at $.45 cents per gallon...and Venezuela and Brazille et al at about$.15 cents per gallon...you tell me friend where the descrepancy is and what causes it...I already told you...but you also have your eyes shut...!
Try factoring the per capita income in those other countries. For instance, PCI in Brazil is under $8,000/yr. That's a whole lot less spendable income available for gasoline. So much less that even at such low prices, the average person in Brazil only drives 1/10th as much as the average American.

Also try this on for size: Venezuela is an oil exporter. Taxes the hell out of exports and uses that to subsidize domestic use, which is also supplemented with locally produced ethanol. Likewise Brazilian gasoline contains a lot of Brazilian produced ethanol, which is managed by the government.

In short, direct comparisons of gasoline prices only works when comparing similar economies. And when you do that, like comparing the U.S. to Britain, or France, or Australia, you'll find we come out quite a bit ahead.

after reading your dribble,you are far from the one to call another a moron! BB has been nice to you held back,you should be grateful little boy!

Haha oh great another grammatically challenged inbred.

This should be fun.

Europeans easily pay $8 gallon and make 2/3 what we do.
the bubba's like battle will have to down size the trucks.

Back