State Rep... We'll opt out...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.statebillnews.com/2009/1...hell-push-colo-to-opt-out-of-u-s-health-plan/

Freshman state lawmaker Cindy Acree tells The Denver Post that she’ll push her legislative colleagues to opt the state out of the congressional health care reforms. “Right now (there are states that) are in fiscal distress and cannot support or sustain the federal legislation as written,” Acree said. “And there are civil liberties here that are being infringed upon.”

Excellent...

With her going this way, and Caldera going the Amendment route, we'll pretty much be guaranteed for Colorado to say, "Um... No thank you..."

I wonder what type of punishment the feds have planned for states that attempt this. Withhold highway funds, perhaps?

Yeah, withholding of federal funds is the typical approach, ala national drinking age being set at 21. Personally, I wish the govt. would force MS to take the southern swastika off of its state flag by decreeing that any state that displays it on its flag will lose funding. For that matter, making states remove it from federal buildings would be a good thing.

This is horrifying that anyone would even consider sacrificing the uninsured for electoral points. She needs to be tried and hung for attempted murder.

Your tax levels are at 100%? Interesting.
We have a TABOR Amendment that limits growth in spending. It does not allow much room for unfunded mandates. The Governor has already cut many of the government programs because revenues have fallen and they cannot overspend.

Oh I would expect them to do something much more drastic then that. Cut them off from Medicare/Medicaid funding is probably what they would do.
Then it would appear that they were playing political hardball with people's health coverage. I think that would not likely be the punishment, it would make the Feds seem the enemy by choosing to "cut" funding in the very area they say they are trying to fund through higher taxes. It also seems to ignore that the Senate version allows for states to reject this program.

Then it would appear that they were playing political hardball with people's health coverage. I think that would not likely be the punishment, it would make the Feds seem the enemy by choosing to "cut" funding in the very area they say they are trying to fund through higher taxes. It also seems to ignore that the Senate version allows for states to reject this program.
Yup they would play hardball and the Feds would do that to create a political back lash against those who would lead opting out of the new reforms as this would be the surest way to undermine those reforms so political retribution would be swift and harsh. When the seniors of CO find out that they have lost their Medicare/Medicaid benefits to political infighting, they may blame the Feds but they won't be happy at all with their elected officials and I doubt those officials would be in office long.

Yup they would play hardball and the Feds would do that to create a political back lash against those who would lead opting out of the new reforms as this would be the surest way to undermine those reforms so political retribution would be swift and harsh. When the seniors of CO find out that they have lost their Medicare/Medicaid benefits to political infighting, they may blame the Feds but they won't be happy at all with their elected officials and I doubt those officials would be in office long.
Medicaid is a Federal program and would not be lost through State funding, the old people would be fine.

Again, this would be directly attributable to the Federal government attempting to play hardball with people's lives. I don't believe that they would do this and AGAIN you ignore that the current law under consideration allows for States to opt out.

It is your assertion that the Federal Government would punish people for doing something that is allowed in the law and do it by taking away what their supposed goal is?

I think you are being daft.

Medicaid is a Federal program and would not be lost through State funding, the old people would be fine.

Again, this would be directly attributable to the Federal government attempting to play hardball with people's lives. I don't believe that they would do this and AGAIN you ignore that the current law under consideration allows for States to opt out.

It is your assertion that the Federal Government would punish people for doing something that is allowed in the law and do it by taking away what their supposed goal is?

I think you are being daft.
No, I'm saying political retribution would be sure, swift, costly and painful. Don't be niave. I'm just throwing out a wild ass guess as to the form that political retribution would be.

Oh I would expect them to do something much more drastic then that. Cut them off from Medicare/Medicaid funding is probably what they would do.
That wouldn't be bad as the State could then refuse to administer the program then declare its citizens exempt from it.

Back